newbee mondial owner | FerrariChat

newbee mondial owner

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by sabertooth, Jan 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sabertooth

sabertooth Rookie

Jan 29, 2015
    i finally made the step and bought my first Ferrari, an 86 mondial cab....probably paid too much and i am still trying to sell my 1991 corvette cv since i am running out of car room....the first thing i would like to do is put on one of those chargers on the battery that let you plug it into the wall and keep the battery at 12 volts however i noticed the battery is buried under some kind of bulkhead in the front passenger bonnet area....i saw one photo where someone had taken off the wheel and got to the battery through the splash guard...since i only will drive the car a couple times a month i would like to be able keep the battery charged, it has a funky turn switch that cuts the power but i dont know if shutting the power on and off like that could hurt the electrical..plus i dont see any way of jumping the battery either there is no way to get cable under there...could you do it through the cigarette lighter i wonder...anyway sorry for rambling and help would be appreciated.

2. Roc

Roc Karting

Nov 19, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Rocco LaBriola
    Welcome to F Chat Sabertooth! You've come to the right place. Also, congratulations on your new Mondial. To purchase a CTEK battery tender go here:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/other-parts-collectibles/438686-ctek-battery-chargers-discounted-prices.html

If I'm not going to drive my car for a period of time I just hook up the CTEK and let her do her thing. You can gain access to the battery through a removable panel on top of the battery. It's located in the area of the disconnect switch. Good luck!

3. motomike8

motomike8 Karting

Jan 7, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    welcome to Fchat. I bought my first Mondial about a month ago and one of the first things I had to do was replace the battery. The only way is through the front wheel well.

Here is a great post of the whole procedure w/ pics:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/142108233-post27.html

I highly recommend the Battery Tender from Deltron - I use them on everything in my garage. When I put the new battery in, I connected a pigtail that comes down to the bottom seam of the wheel well and it's really convenient to plug the charger in without messing with the hood or with cover on the car, etc.

Good luck. MIKE

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Huge welcome... Battery tender is great! Although try to dive it as much as you can so you don't even need it!

5. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Congrats - you're in for miles of smiles!

My car lives remotely as my garage just isn't big enough to store her at home. Because of that, a busy life and UK winter weather, I don't get to drive her half as much as I'd like.

I routinely use the cut off switch (with no issues on electrics) and a battery tender. Not sure if there is a difference between 88 and 86 specs or US vs Euro, but with some dexterity, you can connect up a charger on my 3.2 cab just by accessing under the front hood. Its tight and fiddly, but possible and no need to remove the wheel and splashguard just to attach the tender.

I'm as unmechanical as they come but also managed to change my own battery recently (with help from that thread link above). The splashguard removal is simple (4-5 screws) and there's ample room to swap it out once done.

6. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Welcome!

My 1986 coupe has a clear plastic cover over the battery that is held in place by a simple snap on the inside end. The outside end is held in place by simply sliding it into a notch.

I also replaced the battery from the top but that required removing a number of panel screws and pannels. Horsing the pannels out of the way was no easy task. I even removed the windshield washer tank and the horn compressor.

Also, none of these parts fits back together easily. It would probably been better to do it the proper way. However, I am not sure if I could have removed and cleaned the grounding strap from below. That is an important thing to do because these cars have very light wireing and need every advantage.

I installed a deep discharge marine battery because I had a constant draw from an some unknown source and if I forgot to turn off the switch the battery died. While replacing the battery I found the offending circuit directly wired to the hot terminal and removed it. Still installed the marine battery but it is taller then the original and is a good tight fit.

Not sure if I can get it out from below.

7. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Welcome to the Mondial corner!

Congratulations on your purchase and enjoy in good health!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

8. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Congrats!! Pictures pictures pictures!!

9. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Yes, show us.....
    Congrats ;-)

10. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    Let's see the beauty.

11. porchnut

porchnut Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bober
    Gotta have pictures, just like having your first born, can't get enough of them...(pictures that is)............

12. sabertooth

sabertooth Rookie

Jan 29, 2015
    Thank you for all the replies. You guys are great. I know I am going to find a home here. As soon as I figure out how to post photos i will!

13. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    Hit go advance then hit manage attachments and upload pictures.

14. sabertooth

sabertooth Rookie

Jan 29, 2015
    im not sure i did it right

15. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Beautiful. Pure Ferrari. Love it.

16. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    Beautiful. I love it very nice ride.

17. sabertooth

sabertooth Rookie

Jan 29, 2015
    my next question is where to you drive these things to....when i get out on the road I feel like the Flying Dutchman, I am afraid to stop anywhere and park for fear now of someone dinging the door or such thing. i guess going to the supermarket is pretty much out of the question.

18. chrispy2926

chrispy2926 Karting

Mar 12, 2008
    victoria,australia
    Full Name:
    christopher davies
    Welcome sabertooth
    Congrats on a fine looking car 😃 many happy miles to you

19. TampaTMM

TampaTMM Rookie

Aug 9, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Terrance Maloney
    On a weekend drive I often end up at the grocery for something... Usually with the kids in tow. I simply park out at the end of the lot. No incidents yet, but spaces in the US are probably bigger then in Victoria. Have fun and enjoy your your Mondial!

20. TampaTMM

TampaTMM Rookie

Aug 9, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Terrance Maloney
    For those with tenders, how often do you plug the car in? Mine has one, found it while detailing. Not sure how ideally I should use it?

21. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    The turn switch on the battery post is very safe to use to cut the battery from draining

nice looking car btw

welcome to the modi brotherhood!

22. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    She's a beauty! Classic color combo. Congratulations!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

23. ozmondy

ozmondy Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2013
    N.T, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Yep I just isolate the switch under the front hood.
    reset the clock roughly to stop it flashing

24. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I generally leave it plugged in to a "smart" tender because it is a weekend car. Battery is always full up. I have left the car without a tender and use for up to 3 weeks without issue, but a smart tender keeps the battery topped up. Takes all of 30 seconds to unplug since I have a dedicated plug attached to the battery.

Regards,
    Jerry