Are Your Seats Comfortable | FerrariChat

Are Your Seats Comfortable

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Rapalyea, Jan 31, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    A buddy of mine either heard or read a vevue they the most uncomfortable he ever sat in.
    After I learned not to put my wallet in my right back pocket I don't even notice the drivers seat in my 1986 coupe

No higher compliment then that. But I do not drive more then an hour or so in any given day so can not comment on 8 hour trips..

2. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    As long as you remove stuff from your back pants pockets they are very comfy. This is based on a 13 hour drive in my T. If the seat internals are broken you will have a very uncomfortable ride. Check them out!

3. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I am terrified even to try. I took the driver seat out a couple of times to replace the hydraulic master cylindar and that experience was worth at least two trips to The Vatican to fix my soul but should have scheduled a trip to Lourds to fix my skeleton.

4. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I've done a few 800 mile days and many 12 hour days. I love the seat. To me it makes me question why modern seats are so curvy. I like the straight seat. The headrest could be a bit more forward so there is only 1/2 inch gap behind my head but that's the 80's.

My wife referred to it as the uncomfortable car and didn't like the seat.

I have a buddy with a very bad back and we went on a road trip. 16 hours one day in the car and he felt great. He was surprised. Like you said, he didn't even notice the seat as compared to other cars where he has to take breaks. A simple functional design. I love it but I know it's not for everyone.

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    My 3.2 is pretty comfortable so no complaints.

Driving my 348 is even more comfortable but only when I'm in the "one cheek sneak" position. And I'm pretty slim.

My wife and I test drove a wore-out Mondial t Coupe and she said that the seats felt like sitting on a toilet (no center padding support, just the "rim").

6. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I felt the same with the 348, haven't sat in a t. Mine is an 87 3.2. I'm 6 feet tall and 200 pounds. I'm too big for 348 seats in width with a 35 inch waist.

7. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I think Mondial seat comfort is pretty good considering the time it was built. In today's standards, I'd say it's substandard. Whenever I leave my Mondial and sit in my 355, it's a completely different world in terms of comfort. Ferrari has evolved. That said, I have no complaints when I go for a drive in my Mondial. There are certainly so many things that make me smile that I couldn't care less about the seats. Moreover, imho, the suspension is good enough to compensate what the seats take away from you in terms of ride comfort.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

8. motomike8

motomike8 Karting

Jan 7, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I find the driver's seat pretty comfortable (with nothing in your back pockets). Did 350 miles from San Diego to Phoenix when I bought the car in one stretch and it was great. Now, I'm 5'6" and 165lbs. Both my boys are 6' and pushing 200 - it's funny to see them scrunched up in the passenger seat. I tell them this car was designed BY small Italian guys FOR small Italian guys like me...

9. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    The seats are great. They don't look like they would be comfy, but are indeed.
    The headrest is the issue. way too short.

10. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I think it depend the shape and size of your body. I thought my Mondial seats were uncomfortable compared to my 308.

11. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Yeah I agree on the 'one cheek' repositioned. The Mark VII was a perfect seat if my right cheek scrunched right. Same thing with the MAXX. The Corvair? Well, the term 'bucket seat' is descriptive, but have driven 400 miles repeatedly [top down]. The Mondial I pretty much just sit my butt down and drive.

I agree the seat bolsters might be a bit better for hard cornering, but got used to them right away. One reason, perhpaps, is the car requires two fisted driving. Also, the cabin has other lateral restrictions. However, I do not need a chiropracter after getting out of the Mondial. The Z-28 seat was designed by Torquemada.

12. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I have figured out that Italians do not have big feet, Big bellies or big butts. They must also be short

13. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    They suck, plain and simple. A pile of empty plastic milk jugs would be more comfortable.

14. chrispy2926

chrispy2926 Karting

Mar 12, 2008
    victoria,australia
    Full Name:
    christopher davies
    The padding in mine had sagged and wasn't very comfortable
    I had them re padded and new leather and they are just marvellous
    😃

15. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Car & Driver Magazine & Motor Week TV agree with you. I've driven a Quattrovalvole Coupe & a t Cabriolet. Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary plus or minus.

IMHO

Joe

16. Journiacois

Journiacois Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    The wife and I did 5000k in two weeks with a couple 10 hours days and one of 1000k in a day. She said, my back kills me in every other car I've ever been in. But after two week in the QV, not the slightest problem. I find it conforms beautifully to my shape 6'0, 195 so I'm not a little italian. Since I'm not a boy racer throwing the car around corners, the side bolster issue is non existent. As written, the flaw in my opinion, is the head rest being too far back.

17. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #17 MvT, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    I cannot agree with you more after having done 4000km (3000m) in a week 6 to 8 hours a day. My old man is from 1939. The first thing he said on this trip that it was better then the 604 Peugeot he had back in the 80ties. Now when he says something like this that means something.. (The Peugeot 604 is one of last cars in Europe that had splendid factory seats. They simply don't make them like they used to)

The first time you will find it hard and a bit awkward. However, you will appreciate it quite fast when they are in good condition. Keep in mind that these seats were designed in the 80ties and compared to todays seats... I did not have any stiff back or other complaints after roughly 7 hours sitting with a 15min brake every 90min. I cannot say this about my Volvo or any other cars I owned where I just had to go out for a walk after 2 hours. The seats are excellent. However that is for the seats up to the 3.2. I have a feeling that the seats of a T sit somewhat less looking at the shape.

Just drive it for a full week and you will notice the difference. Anyone who sat in it for 30min will not find anything special about them, in contrary most say they find it different.. The head rest could be indeed better, but hey most cars in those days didn't have any..

18. UKtifosi

UKtifosi Karting

May 7, 2014
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Glyde
    I'm sure Mondials (like most Ferraris) are designed for Italians. Designed to be driven by slim men in sunglasses with short legs and long arms (bit monkey-like, no offence:))in small Gucci loafers on sunny smooth Autostradas!

Fortunately I'm built that way - except for the Guccis.

19. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Same here, but a bit taller and with longer legs - except I wear Dr. Martens (which hardly fit in the 348). :)

20. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan