SMART n MONDIs | FerrariChat

SMART n MONDIs

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by soucorp, Feb 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #1 soucorp, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So why are more and more Ferrari guys falling in love with the SMART car?
    My 88 Mondial sits mostly in my garage and is the Sunday driver to Cars and Coffee on a sunny nice day. My Hummer H2 was too big and wasteful with 8 mpg to use as a daily driver. Sold the Hummer and got a BMW X5 for the winter, but dealing with the Washington DC metropolitan area city traffic, I was in the market for a small car, possible to use as a daily driver to work and back without breaking the bank and had the latest technology with a reasonable amount of safety, performance, and reliability. 3 cars instantly came to mind; Fiat 500, Mini Cooper, & the Smart car. Since it be just for me to get to work, didn't care for a back seat, so really down to one car, the SMART 451. Never looked back, love my SMART. It turns heads, gets more looks than my Ferrari or Porsche. Just a great car overall for work, for play, or just to run errands. Glad to see some of my Mondi brothers agree.

So, lets see your SMART next to your Ferrari, (since this is Fchat and not Smartchat) :)

C H E E R S
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Yes I've noticed a trend here I have to say. I'm a Lotus man so I like light cars and bought my first Smart in 1998 much to the discord of all my racing buddies who thought I was mad.......that is until they went out in it!! Being racing guys they quickly realised that although it's not a fast car in accelleration terms (unless you get a Brabus!) you can corner really quickly and brake massively late. In fact my Smart will easily out brake the Ferrari and not by just a few feet but by many yards. Then there is that 3 cyl engine which to me has that V12 yowl at certain rpm then add in rear wheel drive, a 6 speed paddle shift gearbox and a turbo and you just can't beat this little pocket rocket!
    I love ém :)

3. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I enjoyed the smart I had as a rental years ago. And it was far more useful to me than the Fiat 500. My suitcase fit perfectly on the back shelf of the Smart, with the Fiat I had to fold down seats and it really wasn't convenient. I also found the Smart to be much more comfortable. Great seats and driving position.

I look at them but it's hard to justify when I don't really need a car at all, and I have three.

4. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    I want those doors! And then I'm going to paint mine Lamborghini orange and put a Lambo badge on the nose. :)

5. mulo rampante

mulo rampante Formula Junior

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    You can put the Smart badges on the Lambo as well.

I remember the first time I saw a Smart Roadster Coupé in South Ken. I just stared at it, amazed -- thought it was some kind of new Lotus :) It's a shame we never got those in the US. When they're 25 years old they'll be eligible for import without a lot of headache.

Long time Lotus fan here as well. It helped that my friend's dad had a never-ending supply of Sevens, Elans and Europas. (he owned the only Lotus dealership for miles).

6. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #6 hank sound, Feb 25, 2015
  7. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    In the land of SUV's and pickup trucks I've always felt you wouldn't stand a chance in an accident.

My 911's, 914, MG's or Triumphs are as small as I care to get ��

8. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Yes I understand that with the small size, but hit the net and you will find out they are very strong and safe.

9. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Bill, I believe that "official" testing has shown the Smart car to be much safer than we would imagine. None of the cars you mention, have a "pod" interior like the Smart does - and that's a major key to survival. Does "roll cage" ring a bell ?? :):)

Cheers,

Hank

10. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    #10 123howie, Feb 25, 2015
    Yes I also have a Smart, tons of fun!! Mine has beefed up suspension, intake and exhaust mods, and electronic mods for even better power. And a roof top wing for added down force. It handles unreal but rides stiff. I am 6' 2" and can not drive it with the seat all the way back, that is how roomy it is inside.

11. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hank, you will love the Brabus! Only prob is the US models have the same 70hp 3 cylinder engine as the base, but it does look nicer!

Cheers

12. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Bill,
    I can tell you the Smart has more room than my Boxster, safer than my MG midget, alot more reliable than my Ferrari. You should test drive one sometime, its like a gokart for adults. Don't catch the bug.

13. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Love the mods Howie, so how much more power do you get with the electro mod?

14. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #14 soucorp, Feb 26, 2015
  15. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    SMARTS are very safe, put it this way I have major concerns about the appaling side impact safety of the Ferrari and thats pretty much any Ferrari as there are no side impact tubes at all on any of them even the 458!... The B post even on the coupe is like paper and don't even look at the cabro, if that went over the best thing would be to hope you got thrown clear from the car I'm afraid, sorry cabrio guys.
    My Lotus from the same era is lighter and yet has the biggest side impact ''GIRDERS'' in the doors that I have ever seen on any car even a 4x4. Couple the Lotus' side impact protection with the way that mates with the roll over cage and sill cage ang you are well.....pretty much in a massively strong cage....the Ferrari doesn't have this kind of protection at all. I did think about trying to copy the Lotus design and retro fit it to the Ferrari but the weakness in the B posts remain the biggest stumbling block to that solution. For anyone really interested in this subject I can provide photos to show what I mean. For now I just try not to think about it....:-(
    Anyway back to the Smart car and here is a video of quite a few being crash tested
    Enjoy!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnI-LiKCtuE
    Wow, impressive huh?
    Regards Bell

16. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    That is the #1 thing to get for more power. Go to www.smartmadness.com you will be amazed of all the things they have, yes some are pricey but well worth it.

17. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks Howie, yes I know about SmartMadness, I checked out all of the cool stuff when I just got my car last year. I like the stage one upgrade kit, thinking about it.

18. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #18 Valenzo, Feb 28, 2015
    I caught the bug a month ago. I forgot Mike had one until stumbled across him on a smart forum (trader!!) ;). I can't explain how the smart entered into my sub conscious but it did and I scoured the net until I found the right one. I started with Brabus but IMHO, I feel the Smart looks best in light colors and the Brabus comes only in Black or silver in cabrio, which was another must have. You can always turn a basic Smart into a Brabus clone. Lots of AM parts.

I love this thing. My wife, not so much. I used it in the rain, the cold and to drive my daughter to school each day. I named it 'Rosie' since I have a white skinned, little red haired daughter too. ;). The lullaby shifting takes some getting used to but all things considered, it's a great little go getter. And I like spending only $20 to fill and getting 330 miles

19. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #19 Valenzo, Feb 28, 2015
  20. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #20 soucorp, Mar 1, 2015
    Ted my buddy, its a good thing you don't have a Porsche, Fiat, or Hummer (FORUMS) :)!!!

I was thinking to do my Smart 451 in GULF colors this spring, but now I want to leave it all white and do a McLaren look since its got the nose front already and I love the clean white lines!

Cheers

21. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Wow Guys, the ultimate!!

22. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    #22 Bell Bloke, Mar 1, 2015
  23. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Funny enough, I don't know much about smart cars but I was recently amazed by the good safety ratings in the smallest fiats. I had no idea-but the issue around here is snow, and this yr especially is crazy. A year ago I traded one of our jeep grand Cherokees that wouldn't die (they never die) for an AWD 3 series bimmer. It's no jeep, but the bimmer is surprisingly good in snow

24. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Small Cars. Wow.

1956 MG TF.
    1959 Triumpth TR-3
    1969 Fiat 850 Spyder.

Road going go-karts are a lot of fun. But then I got old and degenerated to an old Phart Pherarri sort of guy. Smart cars? I am old and dumb so I will pass.

25. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hey Rapalyea, fun is fun at any age ;-)