Thinking of buying | FerrariChat

Thinking of buying

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by decardona, Mar 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    I am in the market for a Mondial for the missus. I am a DIY guy. I am unfamiliar with when the car changed to being able to change belts yourself and which need to have the engine come out for service. I am guessing that that qv's can be done, but are any of the later models? And though it's subjective can you give me a rough idea of cost for a well maintained driver and what the pitfalls of the car are. Thanks in advance.

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Too much info to answer in one or ten posts. :)

But try a search for the buyers' guide since there are several differences amongst the models.

I can say, however, that most ladies have a difficult time with the Mondial 8 through 3.2 (no power steering and upper body leverage/long legs needed for shifting to reverse). The Mondial t is much more modern and doesn't have the "old car" appeal. Well, some but not like the previous versions.

3. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    Mondial 8s, QVs, and 3.2s can all have belt changes done with the engine in car.

Basically, all Mondials up until the "T", can have the maintenance done in car. The "T" premiered in 1989. So - 1982 thru 1988 meet your criteria.

Maintenance is very subjective. Can you do most of the work yourself? a DIY oil change is about $75 to $150 (11 Quarts + Filter). If you look in the 308/328 subform, you will find technical threads that describe in detail almost all common (and a few uncommon) maintenance tasks you can do yourself. As the 308/328 share the drivetrain, and many other components, those threads will give you a great idea of what you may or may not want to do. All-in-All these are rather simple cars. Much more straightforward than modern computerized cars.

Keep in mind that these are 25+ year old cars. There will always be some maintenance. Mostly small/minor things. If you can work on that yourself, your maintenance bills will be reasonable. If you have a dealer fix every last small thing that needs work, your bill could be high.

As for pitfalls, these cars are fairly bullet proof. The sunroof (in the coupes) is very problematic. I've even read sources (in books) that advise owners to "not even think about touching the sunroof button". Power windows (like all this era Ferraris) are slow. Check for rust - I found a small amount under the battery tray. And probably the most talked about item (aside from timing belts) is that when cold, shifting from 1st to 2nd is very stiff - this goes away when the engine/tranny warms up.

These are fun cars. They make a glorious noise. And to me - the coupe is a stunning car. On another thread, one of our members characterized the Mondial as "A shark - swimming through a sea of bait fish".

Sid

4. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    HAHA - Forgot about the power steering! Not just ladies, but some of us "older" guys also note the effort required - especially when maneuvering in slow, tight, confined spaces.

However, once rolling - I love the steering feel.

Sid

5. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    Thanks for the info. I currently have a 308 so I am aware of the temperament of these cars. Just trying to get info on the issues with this model. Knowing I can buy up to an 88 will help greatly. FYI I use royal purple gearbox oil and it solved the cold second gear issue in my car.

6. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #6 soucorp, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    If your wife can handle the 308, she'll be fine with the 8/QV/3.2 (214hp/240hp/270hp)! BTW, all three can have cambelts changed via the access panel in right rear wheel (US models).

Great choice for the DIY guy, the (89-93) Mondial T (300hp) is much more refined in looks, handling, and performance but the engine out is the only draw back if any.

Some folks prefer an engine out for the QV/3.2 as well if you really want to do it right, just easier when you have access to everything. Things to watch out for are the usual suspects when buying a Ferrari Mondial: electrics, fuse box, rear windows, fluid leaks, engine noises and transmission issues. The 3.2 88 model comes with ABS and is the best of the 3.2 familia IMO. :)

Best

7. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Sid,

Not just ladies and older folks...I've just turned 30 and in slow, tight spaces, turning the steering wheel seems like opening a WWII submarine hatch. Not complaining at all: it all just adds to the charm!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

8. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #8 Rapalyea, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    If you can do a 308 you can do a Mondial. The Mondi has WAY more head room - I can wear my cowboy hat while driving - and has large parcel shelves in the back cleverly designed to look like seats.

I bought mine early 20013 with 44,400 miles and now have 54,000. I abused the clutch early on but the only other maintenance was a NAPA starter for $450. I did wear out some new Perellis in 6,000 miles.

In addition, I always recommend new drivers to google Marvel Mystery Oil + Bosche K-Jet. I have used 8 oz of 2 cycl oil per tank, but have changed to MMO. Runs like a scalded dog. A regular fuel system cleaner as well. I use various ones. Right now I have Techron.

Also, the various oil seals have been very responsive to stop leak. In my case I added every brand available at the AutoZone all at one time, including Lucas, and the improvement is amazing. Further, I depressurized my cooling system with 60/40 glycol/water. These cars have something like two or three dozen hose clamps. I don't need 16psi working on them every time I start the car. Also added a half bottle of water pump lube just for good measure.

My 1986 Coupe is the only car I drive over the last year. Just turn the key and drive away. The flimsy wiring can cause starters to 'click' when hot, but a cheap intermediate relay can fix that. Mine has not needed it, but there is a photo on site with one in place as an example. I believe the thread title was something like 'what is this'. But I do not remember for sure.

9. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    Thanks for all the info and advice. Finding a good one seems harder than I thought. These cars seem to be loved more than not. 😬

10. floridadoorman

floridadoorman Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Alex
    +1 on the Marvels Mystery Oil....was skeptical at first but after reading about others using it....I fully recommend.....I use 8oz per tank fillup..

11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    You'll love it, recommmend anything but the t if you plan do DIY, much easier on 8,QV, 3.2...and now that were 25+ years from the production run...performance disparity between the models are overblown ... They are all 'slow' relatively to modern sports cars.

Check out my site for loads of articles of various models and best wishes!

12. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Paul Is Our Archivist Supreme

And I can vouch for the spriteliness of the 3.2. I live in the N. Georgia Mountains and can wear out tires in 6,000 miles. The 3.2 has just about the right amount of power for user-owner purposes. I like full throttle just to play boy racer. Full throttle in a Vette around here would last, perhaps, three seconds on a long straight? Then you would need to save your life with the fantastic brakes.

I COULD do that but do not need to do that.

13. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Plus this: I do not know about the 308, but my 3.2 has the most docile and tractible engine I have ever owned. It will climb hills in fift gear at 1500 rpms and yawn at you, then race to 7,000 rpms. My choice. I never get enough of it. It is always my friend.

14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks David for the kind words! I have 5 more European articles spanning the 4 models I have to scan and post soon!!

15. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Listen to Wade's suggestion please. I love my 3.2. But there is absolutely no question here. Get her a t. Power steering is a must in parking lots, difficult driveways, malls, etc. The ABS is also an important safety feature on late 88 3.2's and all t's. My wife, who is as hip and cool and willing to take on a challenge as any woman, does not enjoy the manly challenge of a clutched and manual steering Mondial and will only drive it if absolutely necessary.