Beware of Ebay Mondial QV in New York | FerrariChat

Beware of Ebay Mondial QV in New York

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Scaledetails, Mar 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Ferrari Mondial Quattrovalvole | eBay

Just want to alert anyone looking to bid on this car, seller is very shady, rude, and is hiding more info on this car. In my opinion not worth the $12K he was asking, but someone is bidding it up to $15K, hopefully not one of us.
    Buyer beware on this one.

2. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    "Sunroof needs a new cable - this is a common Ferrari issue and the unit is a Mercedes Benz unit so the cable is not hard to get and have repaired."

Is this true? The sunroof motor (and/or other components) are MB pieces?

Thanks

Sid

P.S - The bids look shady. It seems the same bidder drove it from $12K to $15K.

3. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Not too sure about the Mercedes cable part, but I like how he just mentions "not hard to get and have repaired". LOL! Sunroof repair labor can cost half the price of a major service at my dealer.
    This guy is clueless, this was his reply to my simple question:

How long have you owned it and how many miles have you put on it?
    Look man, I don't think this is a car for you, etc etc.

I then told him I've owned 13 Mondials and the questions will get much harder. LOL. What an idiot.

4. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Stephane,

Thank you for the heads up. One great example of Mondial brotherhood, safeguarding the community from moneypits. Unfortunately as time goes by, I have come across an incresingly bigger number of unscrupulous dealers/private sellers. Behaviours one wouldn't expect from a guy selling a car like a Ferrari. You can never be too careful. And unfortunately the kind of money a Ferrari costs to buy attracts all sorts of ideas to people who only care about making a buck with the means justifying the ends.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

5. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Plus, this never sounds good:

Vehicle History Report Not Available.

The seller didn't enter the vehicle identification number correctly.
    The vehicle is too new to have a history report.
    The vehicle was manufactured prior to 1981.
    The vehicle didn't have a 17-digit vehicle identification number.
    The vehicle wasn't intended for the US market (such as limited production exotics).

Kind regards,

Nuno.

6. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    This is a euro version I believe. Mine also is a 1985 on the title but I have always thought it to actually be a 1984 because it is a 3.0 and other subtle parts differences. car fax and others do not recognize the vin for some reason. I see he has good feedback but not for car sales. We always have to be careful.

7. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane

Thanks Nuno.
    I just would hate to see someone here make that mistake of buying it.
    To say this is a money pit is putting it kindly but more importantly giving money to a guy like that makes me sick.
    I feel sorry for the high bidder if he is indeed real.

8. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    There is 7 Mondial's on Feebay now.

9. floridadoorman

floridadoorman Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #9 floridadoorman, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
    Further to this....the verbatim answer I get from the seller @ the VIN and sunroof assertion..

I read this on the Ferrari forums and I also heard that the Porsche 928 cable will work as well and I own a 928 and that sunroof unit is definitely a MB unit. I have never done the swap so cannot be certain but there are a few guys out on the forums who have and they have posted the methods. As for VIN I am away and will not make it back home prior to end of auction. The plate is there you can do a carfax search that way if you like sorry. Remember the car needs the 50K service right now, All belts (Time etc.) cam seals, valve cover seals, lower pan seals, valve adjustment etc. which requires you pull the engine. Car will start and drive right now but you are playing with fire if you do not do the 50K service very soon.

Walk away....

10. dpospres

dpospres Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2005
    If I read his ad correctly, then the timing belts haven't been changed in 30k miles, which probably translates to 10 or 15 years given the mileage. I wonder what else has been neglected......fuel lines, suspension, etc.....

11. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    It is a euro version Mondial QV (K-Jet without Lambda).

12. Mondial 1985

Mondial 1985 Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Mark Alan Day
    QV manufactured before 1981??????

13. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Mark,

I (or rather ebay) listed several possibilities (by default) to account for the missing VIN in the ad. That was just one of them, that in this case doesn't apply.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

14. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    #14 cockrill, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Don't the yellow lights indicate that the car was originally for the French market?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Probably, but like wheels, such things are easily changed. I was more commenting that the reason eBay couldn't recognize the VIN is that it is a non-US version car, not just a "european car" as the Seller suggested (i.e., anyone selling a european version F in the US who doesn't mention DOT/EPA documentation is already a little to the bad side IMO).

16. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    the lights almost don't look like Ferrari. My lights are clear. The front side lights also look dot because the euro lights are very thin. This also has the rear fogs lights. the north American cars I believe did not have them. also the exhaust was covered by a sort of louvered cover

17. Mondial 1985

Mondial 1985 Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Mark Alan Day
    The thing is: Mine is a Euro version and I checked the VIN against several formats (comparison of each letter/number with Ferrari's VIN format) and every number/letter matched. Mine's an '85. I also sent the VIN number and my "new" owner registration to Maranello, so I'm on record with Ferrari as the current owner of XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. Point is: it's Euro and it's an '85. Don't understand what's going on with this guy and e-Bay.

18. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Ebay's system does not recognize euro VINs or non 17 digit vins in one of the steps of the listing process. It's not a big deal. if the VIN has been provided in the description one should be able to decode it no problem. It's simply a compatibility issue with one of the steps in the ebay process...

19. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Hello, seems as the seller is providing what a seller would need. He added this to the Ebay listing:

On Mar-20-15 at 10:03:55 PDT, seller added the following information:

TO ALL BIDDERS WHO HAVE NEVER OWNED A FERRARI BEFORE!!!! JUST BECAUSE THE MONDIAL IS THE INEXPENSIVE ENTRY LEVEL CAR INTO THE WORLD OF FERRARI OWNERSHIP DOES NOT MEAN ITS AN INEXPENSIVE CAR TO MAINTAIN!!!! IT COSTS JUST AS MUCH AS EVERY OTHER FERRARI TO MAINTAIN!!!!

IF YOU HAVE NOT DONE YOUR RESEARCH ON THE COST OF MAINTENANCE FOR THIS CAR AND FERRARI'S IN GENERAL AND PARTICLUARLY THE COST OF THE 50,000 MILE SERVICE AND WHAT AMOUNT OF WORK IS REQUIRED THEN ...

DO NOT BID!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU CANNOT MAINTAIN YOUR OWN FERRARI'S THEN I ADVISE THAT YOU EITHER HAVE VERY DEEP POCKETS OR YOU BUY A LESS EXPENSIVE COLLECTOR CAR TO MAINTAIN!!!! I MAINTAIN ALL OF MY CARS MYSELF FOR THE PAST 40 YEARS AND THAT INCLUDES A TOTAL OF 27 PORSCHE'S, 5 FERRARI'S, 3 LOTUS', 6 BMW'S, CHEVROLET CORVETTE. I OWN ALL THE TOOLS AND HAVE MULTIPLE GARAGE SPACES. IF YOU WANT A MONDIAL THAT NEEDS NOTHING YOU NEED TO PAY INTO THE $25K AREA. MY CAR IS IN GREAT SHAPE BUT AS THE AUCTION STATES THE MAJOR 50,000 MILE SERVICE IS REQUIRED RIGHT NOW.

20. Bxtech

Bxtech Formula Junior

May 4, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    This seems to support what the OP posted about the guy being rude! Some of what the seller says is true, but no need to say it in this way imo. Obviously he's not very happy with some of the inquiries and questions he's been receiving, but he's gotta remember that these are "customers". You have to be nice and entertain them no matter how stupid the questions are. When I sold my 308, I had some questions that I couldn't believe I was receiving, but I kept my cool and just answered them as nicely as I could. It's all a part of selling a car imo. If you don't wanna deal with it.......sent it to a broker or car dealership and put it on consignment. ;)

21. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    "INEXPENSIVE"? "ENTRY LEVEL"? The irony would be these cars skyrocketing in value, the year before all fossil fuel consumption is banned ;) But I'm not cynical :)

What does the 50,000 mile service entail anyway? Basic major +???

22. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Usually yes -> legislation at the time. :) I kind of have a soft feeling for the French nuances. Either your like it.. or not.

23. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    No it doesn't. A Mondial is cheaper than most, which imho is a huge plus. A V12 is more expensive. Even in the V8 world, a 355 for instance will blow away a Mondial bill. A Mondial may not need an engine out service, doesn't have exhaust manifold issues, etc, etc. Parts aren't as hard to find as, lets say, a Daytona. Even within the Mondial family, a cabriolet in terms of maintenance has other issues that a coupe may not encounter. "Every other Ferrari" is a term difficult to grasp, as most have their own idiosyncrasies. He himself seems to fail to understand this, and yet tells inexperienced prospective buyers to go and educate themselves. Ironic.

Great marketing skills.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

24. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    There is no such thing as a 50K service. This guy is clueless, he just calls it that based on the car's mileage. Reading through the lines I can tell this car will need far more than a major, so that's $10K+++++. At least he is starting to show some real facts in his later posts since he was bombarded with questions he couldn't answer. Yes, this euro car will cost you money, lots of it.

25. Antwan

Antwan Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Manchester UK
    Agree with Alf. It is obvious that the Mondial is one of the more affordable Ferraris, this allowed me to own one. And no, not all Ferraris cost the same to run and maintain. Looking at parts costs alone, there is even a significant difference between the 8 and qv. Is this not great news? The mondial gives you a great piece of kit at a reasonable price, technology which isn't intimidating and 80s style! 3 ticks! If I am comfortable with what I own, the joy of driving is not tainted.

There is no saying that the car being sold is a bad one, past care it has had is far more important than the seller. Though I don't think the ad does any favours