I need a new ignition switch | FerrariChat

I need a new ignition switch

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Dizengoff, Mar 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    I hate my car. I go back and forth between pushing it off a cliff or dumping it in the lake. I'm completely sick of this intermittent no start issue. It's like an exotic paperweight that I don't have time or patience for.

I'm 100% certain I need a new ignition switch. The BMW switch people often suggest as the 3x8 replacement is not the correct part for the Mondial. The 355 ignition switch is, but seems to be unavailable.

Then I read that the Fiat 128 ignition switch is a direct fit. Does anyone have any experience with it?

2. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    I suggest you replace the starter relay and/or fuse before pushing off a cliff or purchasing a ignition switch. Cleaning all fuse contacts on the main fuse board is also a good idea. Checking the cable plugs that attach to the main electrical board would be a good idea as well. Perhaps the starter itself needs some attention as well.

DavidJ

3. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I installed a secondary relay at my starter. Sometimes you would turn the key and nothing, no sound. Installed the extra relay and never a problem again. You must remember the starter takes the most voltage and amperage of anything. The Battery is in the front, the starter is in the back and the switch and relays are in the front. That's a whole lot of wiring and connectors to lose voltage. The relay kit I used had a wiring harness that was plug and play after drilling out one wire end. It is for a John Deere 318 lawn tractor and around 15 bucks

4. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    I have all new wiring, new fuse board, and Nippo Hytorq starter. Starter has been removed and tests good. I have no starter relay or any of the garbage associated with the Bosch FI system. And no ignition coils on my car either, they've all been removed. All I have is battery, switch, and starter. Battery tests good, starter tests good. The switch is all that's left.

There are a lot of exotic cars in this world. I think I'd prefer one that doesn't leave me stranded from time to time.

5. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Check all grounding cables.

6. Roc

Roc Karting

Nov 19, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Rocco LaBriola
    Please listen to what others have said! By the time the voltage arrives at the starter it has dropped to approximately 8-10 volts which is insufficient to trigger the starter solenoid. Add the remote relay, at the starter, and away you go! The procedure has been discussed many times on this forum.

7. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    The fact that you indicate you do not have a starter relay is a serious/dangerous issue. You are pumping !!Lots!!! of amperage through the ignition switch and that is a NO NO.

DavidJ

8. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    Which is why it's fused. The car is not a typical Mondial. It was built by Norwood Performance as a 'hyper Mondial,' a sort of back-dated tribute to the carbureted V12 cars. There are several threads about it here on this forum.

Look, I appreciate everyone's efforts here, but I need an ignition switch. I've been through every other potential culprit. This one is it.

9. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Yes, the amount of voltage drop can be pretty baffling.

Diz, have you checked the battery quick disconnect (lower left side of the engine bay along the cradle frame rail)? Mike had a problem with his... broke apart I believe.

Previously, I was nearly convinced that my ignition switch was bad and took apart practically the whole steering column. But it tested good. Turned out that my fuse box board was bad, one that had been replaced only a few years earlier. If your "new" one is an OEM replacement then I'm betting that's your problem. They are a known weak point (poor design). The SRI upgrade fixed my intermittent no-crank problem.

Which reminds me... are you experiencing a "no start" or "no crank". The former being that the engine turns over normally but doesn't light off.

10. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    Putting so much amperage through the standard ignition switch is the reason you need a new one. When you get one, Norwood not withstanding, I suggest you put a relay in-line. Fusing does not protect the internal contacts of the ignition switch from all of the amperage that is drawn to the starter. Those contacts are not designed to handle such a load.
    And, BTW I find it hard to believe a place like Norwood would eliminate a key part such as a starter relay. I don't think there is any car, anywhere, sports, race, custom or luxury that would not have a starter relay. It is a basic design requirement. Huge loads cannot go through small thin contacts that you will find in an ignition switch. This is basic electrical engineering.

Anyway:
    Try FerrParts on the west coast. They have many Ferrari wrecks that they break for parts.
    Mondials, TRs and many more. Reasonable prices too.
    Also, Maranello Auto Parts in the UK is a good source. They found a the very rare "B" pillar in Switzerland for me last year.

Good luck.

DavidJ

11. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    Thanks Wade.

I have 'no crank' and sometimes no dash lights at all.

My fuse box is one of the upgraded models. We removed it and inspected for warping, bad solder connections, burned traces, etc.

The car is currently at Auto Sprint here in Chicago for diagnosis. We measure voltage drop at the ignition switch itself.

Seriously, I've been chasing this stupid problem for three years now. I'm ready to dump the stupid car so I'd like to get it in good working order before I do.

I should've kept my 911. :(

12. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #12 Wade, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    I guess the "T" version is much more car. My starter relay gave me trouble and I replaced it. No more starter issues. No burned cables or fuse board issues (at least not yet).
    My relay is located in the engine compartment below the expansion tank. $15.

DavidJ

14. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    My wiring looks good, it's new(er), like 8 or 10 gauge. No brown discoloration on the molex connectors, wires, or fuse panel where the ignition wire connects.

I hadn't really thought about it before, but I *think* a starter would behave like an inductive load. Which means it'll pull current like crazy.

The battery disconnect switch is bad, I forgot to answer your question earlier. I've got a replacement on order.

But the $10,000 question is the Fiat 128 ignition switch. I want to know if it'll work. It LOOKS identical, and I've got a French Mondial owner who's telling me he replaced his with the Fiat.

I guess I'll spend the $60 and see if it works.

15. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I bypassed the battery disconnect switch on mine, first thing. It was a problem when I had my Mondial 8 as well (internal corrosion).

Speaking of bypassing, can you slave in a momentary toggle switch (spring-loaded back to off) to simulate/isolate the ignition switch? If so, that will save you a lot of time.

16. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    That's an understatement. One look through your repair manual confirms it. :)

17. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
  18. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    I'm sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your car! I had an intermittent (hot) start issue as well, and it was extremely frustrating. I couldn't really enjoy my car, as I couldn't trust it to always start.

I recommend that you go ahead and have the starter relay put in. It's relatively easy to do (assuming that you can get to the starter, which isn't always easy, especially for cars with the heat shield in place!), and is very inexpensive.

If that doesn't solve the problem, then you should take Wade's recommendation and install an "Engine Start" button to bypass the ignition switch. (If the button fixes the issue, then you can use it while you search for an OEM switch.)

Good luck!

19. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    After you sort out the ignition switch, highly recommend you add this:

Amazon.com: Bosch WR1 Starter Relay: Automotive (just one source).

It puts a relay between the wiring from the ignition and the starter itself. So the wire acts as a trigger for the relay to do the work. We took some extra time on mine (not hard, but hard to reach the starter) and put the fuses in the trunk, against the back wall with the ECU's, for easy access. I can take a picture of the mounted relay if needed.

Good luck on getting it sorted.

Regards,
    Jerry

20. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Jerry, could you shoot a picture of how it looks if it's not too much trouble? I to am hesitant to drive my 8 with my hot start issues. I plan on replacing the accumulator, cleaning wires, going through the fuse box and hopefully installing this Starter Relay you've mentioned. Does it really do the trick? Thanks for the good info.

Ken

21. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Those can be rebuilt. Ricambi has a source.

22. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  23. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    I was feeling a bit foolish after looking at the schematic you posted but the "T is totally different. Vindication!!

One last idea I have:
    This has happened to me in the past on another car:
    Sometimes a connector crimp to a cable gets a bit of corrosion at the crimp and that will cause a huge resistive load to be placed on the entire system. This will drop the voltage and raise the amperage through the system. This will raise the temp of the cables and it begins to wreak havoc with connectors everywhere. You might check all of the cable/connectors in the pathway to the starter from the battery (including the ignition switch cables/crimps).
    I actually had this exact thing happen with a lamp in my house a few months ago. I cut the connector off and crimped a new one on, and that was that.

Don't drive the car off a cliff!!
    Everything can be fixed with the right talent, time and of course money.

DavidJ

24. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I'll try to get to it in the morning to show you how it is mounted in the trunk. 348Jeff posted the install instructions. Instructions also come with the kit if I recall correctly.

I have upgraded my fusebox to SRI (well worth the $$$ IMHO) and I have not had any hot start problems since adding the relay. For under $20, almost a no brainer as insurance.

Regards,
    Jerry

25. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I don't have a hot start problem, and I don't have the Bosch starter. I have the Nippo Hytorq starter which, as I understand it, requires less current to spin than the Bosch does. So while I *may* put the relay on, I'm not exactly in a rush to do that...in fact I think if I ever have to work on the Mondial starter again I will purchase a plane ticket to Maranello so that I can kick a few people in the cajones for coming up with such a stupid design. But I digress.

I'm going to explore the bypass switch solution.