Non-blind holes have caught me out twice now! | FerrariChat

Non-blind holes have caught me out twice now!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Antwan, Mar 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Antwan

Antwan Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Manchester UK
    All,
    My car is now back together and working well, phew!

I thought i would post about this as it has caught me out twice. A ridiculous practice of using non-blind tapped holes.

Case 1 - I started the car for the first time and had a number of slight weeps from the 2x 4 into 1 coolant headers located in the V of the engine below the plenum. I hadn't noticed that these holes are not blind, effectively the coolant runs past the back of the studs when they are inserted into the head. Why? This meant removing the plenum and centre hoses once the engine was back in the car which was hard work. Sealing the studs correctly obviously solved the issue.

Case 2 - There is a small bracket on the right hand side of the inlet manifold just below the level of the plenum. It uses 1x M6 stud and supports the solid fuel injection lines going to the front bank. I hadn't reinstalled this bracket as the lines felt very rigid anyway. This small hole was sufficient to cause the engine to misfire badly. Having done all the work on the car, you can image what was going through my mind! Thankfully, I could hear the leak with my head in the engine bay and when I put my finger over the hole, the engine ran sweet as a nut.

Just to make you aware!
    Regards
    Ant