Steering wheel | FerrariChat

Steering wheel

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Fara's Daddy, Mar 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fara's Daddy

Fara's Daddy Rookie

Feb 19, 2014
    Orange County Cali
    Full Name:
    Dave Yacono
    One of the first issues I encountered with my 88 3.2 Mondial is the position of the steering wheel to the dash lights. Even after adjusting down and out to the max, I can't see most of the Speedo, Tach, or most of the warning lights. I switched to a 330mm Momo wheel with some benefit. Then I tried to modify and fabricate a longer, deeper slot on the brackets to put the wheel lower. My problem is it won't lock in place consistently, and the in/out spindle doesn't hardly bind. Any suggestions?

2. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Use the original 390 wheel in the upper most position and look through it.... as it was intended to be.

3. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    I'm running a 350mm Prototipo at the moment (like some 246GT's used), sometimes I run a vintage 370mm Momo Cavallino (also found on some 246's). I've got the hub extender but still can't see the turn signals or get a decent view of the tach. Personally I really like the vintage 911 competition/rally gauge setup with the tach turned to improve visibility. I think our small steering wheel problem is a common one in the motorsports world.

I'm exploring options. And no, they don't include using the original 390mm wheel.

4. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    #4 afterburner, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As I am a bit over 6' I raised the instrument cluster on my car so I don't see "on top" of it. Here the two conditions with the original wheel in a position which lines the top of it up with the vision line over the bonnet. Looking over a smaller wheel in a low position seems very difficult with a cluster that is already mounted very low and facing horizontally....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Roc

Roc Karting

Nov 19, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Rocco LaBriola
    I like what you've done Afterburner! How did you accomplish it? Did you fabricate a uniform spacer or what? I've got the same problem as you, being 6'2".

6. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    #6 afterburner, Mar 22, 2015
    Here is a photo representing what I can see from my viewpoint; all instruments, warning lights and clock visible through the 390 wheel. Why a smaller wheel? More racy?

7. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    #7 afterburner, Mar 22, 2015
    Roc, I fabricated a wooden (!) spacer that bolts into the 3 original mounting holes of the dashboard with its own bolts. The 3 original studs of the instrument pods bolt into the spacer.
    The pod tilts around its lower front edge and is mounted higher at the rear edge facing the driver, so there is a distance between the studs and the new bolts. The spacer and ABS side parts that fill the new gap are vinyl trimmed and I used a 3M foam tape on all contact surfaces between the parts. Pics and drawings attached. The most difficult part is to unbolt the instrument pod from below...