adjust the exhaust | FerrariChat

adjust the exhaust

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by dfranzen, Mar 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    So after taking my cat off I had to take off the back grill

noticed that the tailpipes have "rub" away part of the grill as it was sitting on it

I can see two hangers with springs holding the mufler

do I twist the bolt on top of that to lift / lower the muffler height?

2. porchnut

porchnut Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bober
    PO had taken off my CAT and replaced it with a straight through pipe and now the exhaust tips are not centered in the grille (to far to the right as you face the back end). Was wondering also how to get them centered?

3. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    off center seems that the pipe is not fitting correctly as the hanger fork has a little play side to side

or the muffler tips were not assembled correctly

update I have about a 1/4 in drop on the left side

4. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    The correct way to adjust the exhaust is to loosen all the pipes from the headers end onwards, and juggle unit to be centred and such. If some of the pipes pre cat have not previously been loosened like this, they might be kind of stuck on from heat and corrosion, might need to dismantle, dremel tool and cold chisel off the old donut gaskets and put in new do nuts, so could get to be a more fussy project. You might get lucky just loosening the muffler and both sides of the cat and repositioning while retightening, would be good to have a helper to hold the muffler while you tighten, this might be worth trying first.

5. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen

so I only had the cat bolts lose and managed to push up on the side that was lower while tighting

it worked!!

no more tailpipe on the grill

Note: when installing the new cat with new donuts I found that taking the exhaust hanger pin out of the driver side then easing the cat with donuts back into position while resting the exhaust on myself for support then install at least one bolt on each side of the cat then repin the hanger was the easiest way to reinstall

6. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Glad you succeeded. Those spring loaded hangers on each end which are not
    adjustable even though they look like they might be are the fanciest muffler hangers I have ever seen!

7. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    #7 dfranzen, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So while I had to remove the cat I took the opportunity to clean things up:

repaint the exhaust rock screen protector (damn its stainless would look good w/o paint too!)

clean the exhaust mirror, I mean the stainless heat guard ! (cheez no wonder why Ferrari mechanics always look so good they have a mirror to make sure they dont have grease on their face!)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Hi Don, so how does it sound now? Howie.