On the road again | FerrariChat

On the road again

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Journiacois, Mar 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Journiacois

Journiacois Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    #1 Journiacois, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I got Dante back from 3 months at the mechanics, just in time for the first outing of our mixed marque classic car club here in Southwest France. Its been almost six months since our last outing and we had 25 cars show up, including the testarosa of my fellow member, the one who steered me to my mechanic. At this point, Dante is about as good as he is going to get without a total interior redo. He is all cleaned up and ready to go as shown in my pic.

We rendezvoused at 8:30 south of Bergerac and headed across through the south Bordeaux wine region. The countryside is rolling but not particularly twisty. As is our method, we try and follow along with each other. So it is speed and attention to the car ahead, not to the countryside around. Nonetheless, we passed through some wonderful countryside, miles of vineyards and lovely small villages and town squares.

The other Ferrari in the club is a Testarosa. We arrived at a riverside (the Garrone) restaurant/picnic area at around 11:30 for an "apero" and a knosh. I've a pic attached (I hope) of Dante, with his friends. It is clear that the Testarosa has won the "engine lid up for admiring" prize. His 5liter, 12 valve engine sort of overwhelms my 3.0 QV. But of course, all car guys enjoy all cars. And you can see after the testarosa is a porsch, followed by the unmistakeable outline of a Morgan, a 73 red porche behind and in the back, a yellow matra. It was a lovely time together to talk about and look at cars. And then of course, this being france, it was off to a restaurant for sunday dinner.

After a very short, maybe 20 minute drive after lunch, we arrived at the Chateau de la Brede, which is the ancestral home of Montesquieu. His last decedent lived there until her death in 2004. She had no heirs and had set up a foundation which maintains it in its original state. The family has lived in it since the 1500s. So the furniture and spaces are as they were. A great visit. Another pic attached.

Then it was goodbyes and next month and off we went. Me to get onto the autoroute south of Bordeaux and up to the ring road and a right onto the autoroute home. It is a beautiful road, wide and perfectly surfaced and at a speed limit of about 80 mph which I only pushed maybe to 85, was a wonderful drive home. No shifting after a morning of driving at cars in a row speed, and getting lost. We did a half dozen u turns today, very unusual, and the traffic inevitably would halt and sit quiet as we completed difficult turn arounds. Anyway, it was a great chance to put some easy miles on Dante. Get the engine nice and hot and all the fluids flowing easy, a nice midrange rev for it at speed.

I drove home without looking at the speedo once I knew I was running at about 135kph. After that it was all about the pitch of the engine behind me, running at 4100 rpms. It was the wonderful easy, fast, road ahead, the beautiful scenery around, the sound of the motor in my ears and my hands feeling the car through the steering wheel and going where I wanted. It is truly an intuitive experience once engaged in a long, high speed run like that.

And then there is the final 25kilometers down from the autoroute to my village. A terrific two lane road the winds through the valleys and over hills to here. In some ways, that was the best part of the trip. The car feeling the road and without effort or really speed, just turn and climb and descend and shift the sound of the engine behind me with each movement.

There is a final 2k long hill down to the turn into my village. At that point I let the car slow itself down, and took off the pressure of the high speed and the local roads and begin the cool down that was completed by a slow drive into the village and to my house. It was perfect day.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    AWESOME thank for sharing !

3. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Is that a working sunroof? Sweet!!

4. Journiacois

Journiacois Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    Yes, a working sunroof, though slow, as if its thinking about it. On the other hand, the passenger window does not. So it is with our Mondials.

5. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Thank you for sharing. It does sound like a perfect outting and a perfect way to use the car.

6. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    A day to remember, surely. Spring is here, time to get our Mondials out of the garage. You can't beat the french countryside.

Thanks for sharing!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

7. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Very nice introduction to the new season! We have Spring here in the N. Georgia Mountains as well. All the trees are in bloom and thus I am simpatico. Unfortunately I seem to drive the only Ferrari ever seen in at least two counties. So I am on my own but everyone loves the car.

8. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Hi Nuno!

I agree about Spring. Both windows have been down for the last several weeks but not the sun roof open yet! Soon enough. Drove over to my marina today to check out the pontoon boat. I like to idle along the shore and last year bent a propeller late in the season on some rocks.

It took a lot of doing but I managed to obtain a MIL SPEC lower unit that will bump off logs, bolders, and inatentive swimmers. It is an entirely enclosed propeller unit. So now I can explore up small streams, through overhanging entangling trees and find myself in a cow pasture as I used to do.

It takes timing since if the lake is too low it can't be done. And if it is too high I can't get under some of the bridges. Its sort of a kind of game. Anyway, here is a high glass of wine to prospective good season!

Rapalyea

9. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Great post David, sure sounds like fun! I for one I'm glad Spring arrived. Have been itchy to drive my Mondial for months. I know I could have gone for a drive on a dry day, but over here weather can be unpredictable and I'm pretty petty about water and cloth.

I'll be able to post a few pictures of Portugal in the Spring (with my Mondial of course) pretty soon!

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

10. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Our snow is melting but we still have about a foot on the ground.....

11. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    The northeastern United States has not been a nice place to be this winter. Just plain nasty!!

12. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I lived in chicagoland thirteen god forsaken years. Long story short seven months of cold weather and I got the hell out. The office manage, upon retirement, said he would put his snow blower on car roof, drive south till he found people who asked what it was.

In point of fact, ChicagoLand is not in a bad snow belt. That would be where I lived as a child in the Lake Eyre snow belt. Six foot snow drifts were fun as a kid but then I grew up. In later life I gathered all the Metropolitan Statistical Area data from the entire continental United States.

The Southern Appalchia Mountains v San Diego. The North Georgia Mountains won largely on cost. A million dollar view in San Diego can be had for $150,000 here, with correspondingly lower taxes.

It has been convertible weather here for weeks. And having lived in both hot (DC) and cold (Chicagoland) I live in a place without much Winter at all or a hot Summer. This is were Floridians come for the Summer. They are called half-backs. Meaning they move half way back North.

13. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #13 Rapalyea, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am looking forward to those photos! Of course I have been driving the Contessa as my only car since last Summer. We don't get all that much rain here, but on at least three ocasions I used the wipers. Which worked well enough to count as wipers. But only barely. The new Bosh Icons seem to double the power of the wiper motors. At least when new.

I willl try to upload a photo from my back deck that shows a mountain dogwood covered by too much honeysuckle. I will trim it back later this Spring.