Poor Mondial Service | FerrariChat

Poor Mondial Service

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by cockrill, Mar 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    #1 cockrill, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This post is part rant and part warning...

I normally tackle all of the fluid changes myself, but this year I needed some work done on my car and decided to have all fluids changed at the same time. I took the car to a very reputable (in the Ferrari world) shop and had the work done.

After picking up my car, I noticed that my coolant light was flickering. When I got home I checked the coolant level in the expansion tank to find the level low. No big deal, I thought. It's difficult to get the coolant level spot on after a flush. I added some 50/50 to the tank and called it a day.

During the drive, I also thought that the brake pedal was a little soft. A few days later this bugged me enough to check the brake fluid level. It was also low! I checked around for leaks and, not finding any, topped off the brake fluid reservoir. I'm continuing to monitor for leaks, but so far the brake fluid level has held.

Now I'm starting to get nervous, and decided to check the oil level. I run the car to hot, park it on level ground and kill the engine. I set a timer for 15 minutes and check the oil level. Actually, not believing what I'm seeing, I check the oil multiple times. As you can see from the attached photo, the oil level is very high.

As soon as I get a chance I'm going to check the gearbox fluid level. Who knows what I'll find... I seriously doubt that the level will be correct.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Not sure how you came up with 15 minutes? On my car you shut of the engine and check it right away.

3. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #3 soucorp, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Actually Howie, Jeremy had it correct, the OM states ideally 15 minutes after shutting engine off, then check oil level. You have to give it some time for oil to drip back down into the pan for a more accurate account.

But I have to say, over filling will harm your engine, dump some of it out to recommended levels before you drive it again. Overfilling the oil can cause damage to the compression (head gasket damaged), spark plugs fouling up, and seals rupturing, etc...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    At first instance you would say they saved on fluids, but this is at least 1 Ltr of extra engine oil so it does not make any sense.. Possibly an intern?

5. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
  6. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    The Mondial T oil check procedure is different from earlier models due to the dry sump lubrication system. The technical manual (page B-9) says to run the oil temp to 70c / 158f, then shut off the engine, then IMMEDIATELY check the oil level.

7. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    If you had a Harley or a sprint car you would check a dry sump when warmed and running. Wet sumps I have always checked cold before starting. If it is a screw in cap don't wipe it off. 1/4 inch of threads changes the reading. Hope this helps.

8. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Thanks Jonathan, yes I do have a 92T. Is yellow the new red?

9. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hi Jeremy, you really should inform your dealer of all of these issues in writing.
    This is not meant as any kind of legal thing, it just means that they will take your issues seriously and investigate. All the best Bell ;-)

10. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Its the same ole same ole.

I have always dreaded taking any of my cars to a dealer. Back in the ole days I took my Z-28 and told them I was getting fuel starvation in second gear at Summit Point race track. This was a 5.0 HO 5 speed. Here is what the guy told me.

"These cars are not designed for such service."

So I got out my wrenches. That car had one of the last quadrajets ever installed and it has a very small secondary fuel filter, about half the size of wine bottle cork, mounted right in the carb and has always been some sort of porous stone substance.

Apparently our Calvinist EPA judged this was a roll over fire hazard and mandated a check valve. The space in the carb was not big enough to accomodate a secondary fuel filter AND a check valve. My solution? A number two sharpened pencil applied with alacrity right through the damed thing.

GMs solution months later? An additional fuel pump in the tank. I never bothered.