My Misserable Dip-Stick! | FerrariChat

My Misserable Dip-Stick!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Rapalyea, Mar 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    The low-oil sensor does not work so I check the oil a lot. But there is a problem. I keep looking for oil in the holes and indentations at the bottom of the probe. Often I am not sure if there is oil in there or not. WELL

I should have been looking higher up the dip stick. I now understand how oil always seemed to get on the paper towel no matter whether I could visually detect oil in the probe or not. Its Actually Over Filled. Some of the stainless wrapping is clearly wet with oil!

It must have been that way for a long time so I do not plan to do an emergency drain.

2. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    You're doing the warm engine then wait then check routine right? It's not a cold check.

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #3 Wade, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
  5. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I have noticed like you that oil does not stay in the little pocket at the bottom if the car is warm. If the oil is clean it is virtually impossible to see where the oil level is. After wiping it off, I insert, remove and then set it across a paper towel. The towel tells me how high it is. Has worked very well. I try to do it when warm after shut off for 15 minutes like manual says.

6. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    For a month's worth if you're a regular Starbucks fan. ;)

7. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    Okay Wade, tell us where you got the parts.

ceb

8. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    On mine, it's Original Equipment. You can check with the usual sources, Ricambi for starters.

9. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Yeah, but the car was leaking oil for awhile and I may have checked it cold and added some by mistake. If so there must be a huge difference between hot and cold readings. This would explain why it was overfilled when I got it back from the mechanic a year ago. He must have filled it cold using the dip stick for amount.

Has not hurt anything either time.