silicone hoses - worth it? | FerrariChat

silicone hoses - worth it?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Antwan, Mar 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Antwan

Antwan Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Manchester UK
    Hi all. As part of my engine refresher, I replaced all of my hoses around the engine bay. Included were the short pieces of (I think 38mm id) coolant hose linking the rigid aluminium pipes. There are 3 to the sides to the engine, 2 between the fuel tanks and 2 in the V of the engine.

My issue has been multiple leaks on all of these new pipes. I was aware you need to tighten the clips more than once, but 3 times? I found a few drips on the garage floor yesterday from one of the top hoses, the system was completely cold with no pressure!

If you choose to use silicone hoses, I would suggest spreading the job out over 3 days and re torque each day, and keep your eyes peeled during regular checks

2. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    To be honest I'm not a fan of silicone hoses for that reason. With old cars where there is sometimes slight pitting in the aluminium silicone hoses have to be really tightened. Also I prefer the look of the original hoses. Silicone however are supposed to last longer and for difficult to get at areas I would use silicone.

3. mulo rampante

mulo rampante Formula Junior

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I'm a big fan of silicone hoses because of their durability and longevity. I almost never have issues when using T-bolt clamps that have a smooth stainless lining. Maybe I've been lucky.

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I use Gates yellow or green stripe hoses. Tighten the clamps down until I am blue in the face. Do a pressure test. No leaks. Tighten them some more.

I don't have the money to afford silicon hoses.

5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Waste of money. OEM hoses can last 30 years or more. How much longevity do you need?

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I have discovered gates polygrip hose clamps end my pain. I have been a new fan of them except for race cars.