Kato Needs an Alternator | FerrariChat

Kato Needs an Alternator

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Bell Bloke, Apr 1, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hi Guys, does anyone know of a good supplier either here in the UK or abbroad that does the Bosch 80A alternator for an 83 QV Mondial. An alternate part number might be useful also.

Many thanks, Bell

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  3. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Here's one of Mike's post from another thread.

4. mulo rampante

mulo rampante Formula Junior

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    '83 3.0 QV is almost certainly Bosch p/n 0.120.469.537. I mention it in another thread, with some pictures. It is not the same as what came before, or after.

I've seen that list that Mike pointed out, quoted by Wade. It might be worth an inquiry, but I suspect they will not have the part.

I turned up nothing other than the usual Ferrari suppliers in a pretty exhaustive search some time ago.

Bell: If you're adamant about replacement and you're willing to accept a different alternator, almost anything with a 2" foot will mechanically fit the '83 QV. Just swap the sheave (pulley) to the new alt. You may have to do some adjustment (i.e. spacers) to get the sheave in the same plane as the others (I used a laser pointed resting in the groove to check). You may also need an adjustment arm with a different offset, but this is easy to fabricate. Due to the location I'd take care in considering how the and where the unit is ventilated.

Unfortunately, outline drawings of alternators from the manufacturers that show the offset of the shaft relative to the mounting are not too easy to find.

The only other consideration is the types of connectors used and the 'clocking', i.e. orientation of terminals relative to the foot. If you go this route I'm sure it's well within your capabilities.

Otherwise I think you'll find they're fairly expensive. Best bet might be finding someone who's breaking a car for parts.

Charles

5. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hi Guys, many thanks for your input here. I will rebuild and keep my old alternator but would like to take my time and keep it for stock. I also wanted to find a 'current alternative'....ha ha get it, current alternative....Oh please yourself.
    Anyway I'll let you Guys know what happens.
    Regards Bell

6. Antwan

Antwan Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Manchester UK
    Hi Bell,
    I chose to have my alt rebuilt by a local firm, i just had too many other jobs on at the time. I have never taken one apart so I would love to see some photos when you get round to doing yours. If you could?
    Cheers
    Ant

7. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Love it, y'all are so polite over there :D

8. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hi Ant, will do ;-) I'll do a video.

9. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Had mine redone while the engine was out. Local firm that does all of my starter, alternator repair for my business. 84 dollars. what a deal!

10. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    #10 Bell Bloke, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well Chaps and Chapettes, I've finally fitted my alternator to Kato and I'm afraid I've been a bit of a namby pamby bed wetting type about the whole thing.
    Yes that's right I've gone and bought a new one for a measily 200 bucks/quid/smackers!
    When you see the pictures of the ugly old bit of iron that came off Kato and the spanking new posh one that went on I think you'll agree it was a no brainer in the end.
    Here are some pics and serial numbers for you folks to get all excited about.....I know I did.
    The supplier was the very helpful Andrew Page UK. Andrew Page | Quality Car Parts Supplier for all Vehicle Makes and Models - Homepage
    May they light up your life when all around is dark....I know they did for me.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    #11 Bell Bloke, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Went out testing this evening with my girlie, we didn't have a plan as to where we would go but ended up staying out for over 5 hours!
    Found ourselves in the Avebury/Silbury area of spooky old England (20 miles from Stonehenge). It's pretty by day but pretty creepy by night.
    Kato going like a rocket as usual, engine howling louder that some of the werewolves that roam these parts. Air cold and thick, Kato pulling hard through the gears, flat out round Silbury Hill by moonlight, fires in the distance, think the Pagans are out tonight.
    The roads here writhe and twist snakelike. They are fast and dangerous and attract bikers like flies to flypaper and have claimed many in the past. At this speed it feels like a rollercoaster with Kato getting light on the crests and digging in hard on the dips.
    Howling up and down through the gears brings a broad smile to Emilys face
    Appart from the odd car we are alone, and when we do see one we close in like hawk diving for its prey. Hard on the brakes, heel toe down shift one gear then another, hard on the power, Kato leaps past effortlessly into another headlong charge.
    Love this car, and seriously addicted to the 4500rpm-7500rpm powerband, keeping it in the zone all the way. Road straightens out now, a quick check of the guages tells alls well oil temp up a bit but fine, Kato deliciously warm inside, quick glance at Emily, she's snuggled in and smiling.
    Time to leave this remote ancient area and head for home, back to civilization.
    The old Ferrari performed it seemed, like the day it was made, it's 30 years plus age being left behind in an adrenalin fueled heat haze. I really enjoy the physicality of this machine, it's proper old school with none of the boring button pressing of the new cars.

The alternator also worked a treat, in fact I forgot all about it. As for the old unit....well I think I'll build my own Pagan shine with it down at my local recycling plant and pray for future good motoring.
    Regards, Bell

Here's some pics of this area and the strange things that go on where we are:

12. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    Out for an evening drive, not paying particular attention to things, except the engine sound. Looked down and notice that nothing electrical was working. Even the AC fan was spooling down!

Hauled a$$ home - luckily made it before the engine quit.

My Alternator died. What fun. On a normal car, this would be a quick fix. Who in their right mind puts an alternator at the bottom of the engine, wrapped between the header and the exhaust?

Anyway, to make a long story short, my 27yo son and I spent about 2 hours pulling it out. Took it to a local Alternator/Generator shop (Richardson, Tx). A day later I got it back, not only in working condition, but fully refurbed/cleaned/shined - Shiney! Cost me only $113. What a great deal!

We spent about 2 hours putting it back in, and she's fully functional again. Now, on to the nonfunctional sun-roof.

Sid

13. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    How did you climb under the car?
    If you drive it up on a ramp?

14. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    Although - to get to the alternator, it's not really necessary. A good set of Jack Stands would have done just as well.

The alternator is easily accessed through the rear passenger wheel well. Remove the wheel and the liner, and there she is. The only time we had to go under the car, was to remove the orange vent tube from the rear of the alternator.

Sid

15. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

Thx !

16. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Well Folks, it's inside a year since I changed out Katos alternator and it's not charging properly.
    Lights off its charging at 12.6volts and lights on its at 11.7volts so there clearly is a problem with the new unit I guess :'(

17. Karsya Eins

Karsya Eins Karting

Jun 17, 2014
    Albany, NY
    Full Name:
    Demostene Romanucci
    How is that rebuilt alternator doing after "all"this time?

18. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I didn't see what pulley you used. Same size/diameter, correct?

If it's larger, then the alt will spin slower, correct?

19. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid

Between my adult son (no 28YO) and myself, we've put over 1000 miles on the car since then. I try to drive the car at least 2-3 times per week (now that I don't travel for work as much as I used to).

No other major problems. We still havent sorted out the Sun roof. That will be the next major fix.

Sid

20. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    With lights or other major accessories on would it not be normal to see a slight draw/deficit in the system? I'm asking, not implying I know. Was just thinking like a home water pressure system, Psi would be one number when all taps are closed and once something opens it will drop a bit as the system works to make up for the loss

21. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I can tell you why you are having problems: A Lucas alternator with a Bosch regulator? It is probably WWII all over again in there! lol!

The Prince of Darkness vs the Kaiser!
    Alden

22. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    yeh you said it Alden....Lucas the prince of bloody darkness! it was generating at 13.5 volts when I got it even with the lights onso definately a fault. I will measure at the unit itself this weekend. Damn....no midnight racing over Easter! ;-(
    regards Bell

23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Ha-ha, how about some Japanese made rugualotrs to throw in the mix?

24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  25. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Thankyou Paul, I will see if they can get one of these as a warranty replacement.