I Got Dimpled! | FerrariChat

I Got Dimpled!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Rapalyea, Apr 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    The driver door got hit a bit. No serious paint damage but damn! And you can not even notice if the door is dirty. But stands out like a sore thumb if the car is shiny and you look down the side.

Its the kind of dimple that could probably be fixed by one of those "paintless" dent removing places. Its not bad enough to get worked up about. But I go great lengths to park where I can throw the driver door full open and not hit anything. A buddy says it might be vandalism. Perhaps.

But the small scratch that accompanies the dimple is at least an inch long and looks like a scrape, not a shoe kick. I am using the Mondial as my regular car and this would not be the first car to suffer some dents. In fact, I have eye witness testimony to serious damage done by a loose shopping cart that attacked my last Mark VII.

They said the empty cart came all the way down the parking lot to the distant place I had chosen, hit so hard it bounced off and hit it hard a second time. If not for the eye witness testimony I would have suspected a drunk driver.

The store actually agreed to pay for the damage, which was quite a shock. But of course the paint did not perfectly match. Eventually that Mark VII included three separate shades of sivler metalic and so I had it repainted.

2. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    That stinks. But when you drive them, you have to be prepared and understand these things happen. Still stinks though.

3. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    The dent removal guys can do some amazing things.

As to the scratch, Dr. ColorChip might be able to help. They claim to custom match colors for their touch up kits. If you can't find their info, let me know, they are local to me.

Regards,
    Jerry

4. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hey David those dent guys are great, don't worry a good one will make it invisible.
    I'm really fussy when it comes to this kind of thing so I try and find a dealership and poach the guy from there. I use a guy from the local BMW dealership, offered him a cash job after watching him work.

5. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Know what you mean, I have one ding that looks like a black hole or the center of the cars universe, everything leads to that spot. Some day I'll address but my car has a number of dings.

I've also seen the rogue cart issue. I've stood in a parking lot in louisiana when a storm suddenly brewed and took loose carts and sent them across a parking lot at what looked like 40mph and one slammed into a car. Crazy.

Bummer

6. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hey David if ya find out who did it I'll fly down and you and I will straighten the person out!

7. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias

I'll pay your way first class ;) I am stockpiling various farm utensils such as pitch forks, rakes, and burning fire brand. Don't know if we still have Klan in these parts but I would be tempted......

8. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I live in the N. Georgia Mountains which to this very day does not have, to my knowledge, one single African American resident. It is also, by statistics, the single poorest county in all of Georgia. Which is misleading because it is a rather serious regional resort area, and half the prosperous SUMMER residents go back to Florida in October.

Of additional curiousity is the next county over, going towards Atlanta, is UNION County. Now if you ask the locals why that is so there seems to be some perplexity. And you will gain favor with the locals if you use the term "War Between The States". If you use the term "War of Northern Agression" they might buy you a beer.

Anyway, I was doing research in the local library on a guy who, back in the late 1890's, tried to build, and I think this is the truth, Eziekials Air Plane. The Eziekial from the bible rather clearly discribes something that might easily be construed as a helicopter. And I am NOT making that up.

Anyway, my last dizty wife [there have been two of them] said the Wright Brothers had come to Union County in order to consult with him. OK. Well. So I did some research. And in fact there was some sort of aironautical guy at the time. Some sort of glider I think which makes sense in the mountains. [Reference Grand Fathers Mountain for hang gliding.]

No mention of the Wright Brothers. BUT GET THIS. The book had a reference, from the 1800s flat out said Union County is such because "None but Union men live here." And if you know your Civil War history I need not tell you of the consequences of Appalachian internecine conflict.

Anyway. Thats my story and I'm stick'n to it!

PS: Apparently Sherman burned every hay barn in all of Georgia. Just ask anyone with a hay barn newer then 1866.

9. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I have availed myself on several occasions to a pint of this stuff. Most of it tastes just like the legal stuff you find in liquor stores. Yuuuuck is the appropriate review. BUT! About ten years ago a buddy bought a gallon for $32. Unlike most such products it was light amber in color.

I could not believe my pallet. My God. It was, of course, likely more then 100 proof. [The term 'proof' means it will burn if lighted, and that meant it was one hundred percent proved. That is, at least 50% alcohol. But it was so good I would have put it on the top shelf along with some single malt scotch.

Not something like Laproag, which as psychodelic when I drink it. More like the very light versions. It did not taste like Scocth. But subtle, with a smooth, strong alcohol finish. I actually told my buddy we needed to find this guy and convince him to go legit and sell to the Four Seasons in New York. No dice of course.

And of course I have no idea WHY it was so good. Pesticide, perhaps? I just don't know, but would like to have laid in a couple of gallons to see if it would age. But those days are long ago and far in the outback.

10. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    To quote the movie Pulp Fiction "what's more chickensh#t than messing with a man's vehicle? You just don't mess with a man's vehicle it is one of the top rules in the guy code"

11. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #11 Rapalyea, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
    One of my most favorite movies. What was the movie with Dennis Farina, De Vito, Travolta and Penny Marshall at the end? That was a kick as well.

PS: Do you have any thoughts on Millers Crossing? Thats another. I used to see 50-60 movies a year. I liked Magnolia, and the weird movie of the same year with all the big filmatic exercises. For instance, the cowboy in the dark barn lot who said "You will see me two more times." Or something like that. Included wild drip down Mulholand Drive. THATS THE NAME!

12. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I'm almost positive you are thinking of Get Shorty which was based on an Elmore Leonard novel. Gene Hackman was also in it and a Ferrari 308 was in it briefly also!

13. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Yeah! Damn.

14. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    There was also a movie where Bet Middler was kidnapped for ransom. I think De Vito was her husband who did not give a damn. Middler said something like; "Have I been kidnapped by KMart!"

15. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Maybe "ruthless people"?

16. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Yeah. Thats the one. I really miss my old movie days in Chicago. Chicago is a God Forsaken place. But it had lots of movie theaters. Any Accademy Award nominies would be availble after candidate anouncements would be showing some damn place. Here in the rural mountains we do get most of the movies. But if you blink for seven days they are gone.

When I first moved here I would drive down to Gainsville, GA to the multiplexes, and catch up. But then I got lazy.

I remember seeking out, I think this was the title, "Long Distance Runner" which was an acrtic epic. Never see anything like that here. American movies include many universally transferrable forms. Its one of our great cultural contributions. One of my favorite movies is "Enemy at the Gates" or some such about Stalingrad snipers. That, I believe, was a European project but was shot in English.

And then there is "Titanic". I do not consider this a great film, but it is a great movie. Even I saw it twice myself. Compare this to 'Knife In The Water" by Polaski. Its a better film but in not a better movie. Besides, Polaski was a sun-of-a-***** rapist who should have spent decades in prison.

One of our Friends up in Chicago talked us into "Bele de-Jur" (sp). My God. What tripe. Stinging bees in glass jars on the heroins arms. Or some such. Who in the hell fell for that crap. No offense intended if you think that is a great film. I prefer such controversies.

17. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
  18. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Good fun. But we all know the Vikings landed in North America. What they did not do was everyting that came after Columbus! Appartently they did not even contract syphilus. What fun was THAT ;)

19. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Hi Jerry,

I have some touch-up paint with a little brush inside. However, my little chips, mostly in the front radiator louvers, are so small I worry the touch up daubs would be worse then the chips. I have been thinking a black majic marker might be better since the paint is dark. Perhaps even a crayon? Have you heard of anything like that sort of thing?

Thanks!
    David