...and then...they pop the dream bubble | FerrariChat

...and then...they pop the dream bubble

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Journiacois, Apr 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Journiacois

Journiacois Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    So I've had a wonderful last week with Dante outside the house as I wrote about in my last post. The ostensible reason for having my QV sitting out front, was to get it ready for our next car club outing yesterday through the hills and valleys of this area of france to the Chateau de Touraine and then to Collange La Rouge, the first "most beautiful village of france" (an official designation). It had been a wonderful week of driving locally and finally having the car of my dreams available and ready. That was of course the real reason for not leaving it in the garage, 30 minutes away.

Saturday I took him out, gassed him up, brought him home, washed and detailed and ready for the meet up sunday morning with my mixed marque car club friends for the day of driving and dining and cultural activities and wonderful cars that make our club terrific. P and I were up early and ready to head over to the rendezvous just 30 k away.

We packed in our kit and settled in and I fired up the engine. As it does now, it started immediately, but my familiarity with the sound of the engine detected a seeming bit of dissonance. A slight hint of miss and a bit of rattle that I had not heard before. But off we went at 8:15, on a brilliant sunny, but still cool, morning. The car seemed fine, the acceleration was good, the readings on the dials seemed right as the car warmed up. But as I got about 10 miles up the road, the engine noise seemed to increase. P said, "I dont think I've heard it sound like this before" as we slowed to enter a village after a long down hill.

And she was right. Down into 3rd gear passing through the stone houses on either side, it was not the normal, wonderful, controlled, throaty, whine of the mondi engine. It was far louder and deeper, an un-muffled sound. I was half way to the meet up and just on time so no chance to go back, so I kept going. All the gauges were fine and the power seemed right. But as we continued, the sound grew ever louder, and by the time we reached the rendezvous, it sounded more like a tractor than a ferrari.

Upon arrival, I popped the engine lid, and my wrench friends in the club came over. The unfiltered exhaust sound came from the back left of the engine compartment, just behind the rear left seat. They had me rev the engine, consulted with each other, and said, "oh, it is not serious. Likely an exhaust header or pipe before it gets to the muffler." But now, I am deflated. It is not the same joy I have had this last week. They continued to assure me that I will not be causing any damage or that it is a major engine problem.

That may be true. But it took all the joy out of driving for the rest of the day as we passed along through small towns and up and down the hills on the way over to our destinations and lunch and tours of these two unique villages. Inside the cabin, all I could hear was the noise. I felt like I was letting down the team with all the lovely and appropriate sounding cars in front and in back of me. I thought about the guys behind and the sound of unfettered exhaust coming back at them and my day, and my joy was diminished. Of course they all said, "hey, its nothing, it happens. Its a wonderful car. Its just the exhaust system." But it was not that way to me. So at the end of the day's touring, when we were headed back to a final rendezvous for goodbyes and a toast of our day and our cars, I could stand it no longer. left the column of cars, and I took the short, and direct, way home.

This morning, it was back to the mechanic, about 45 minutes of tractor noise away and leaving Dante to them, yet again. I know, I hope, it is most likely an exhaust problem, but then, what if it aint? And all the doubts and aggravations start again. So I wait to hear the bad/good news. What is the problem? How much will it cost? Can I ever let myself get self satisfied again that the car is going to be fine for a long while?

I named the car Dante about 3 months after I got it because it seemed like whenever something was resolved and things seemed fine, some further event would bite me in the pocket-butt again. Dante giveth and Dante taketh away.

I did have a glorious last month. And I know I will again. Just for how long? You cant ever be complacent with an Fcar. I would not change it for anything.

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The Definition of Passion:

: a strong feeling of enthusiasm or excitement for something or about doing something

: a strong feeling (such as anger) that causes you to act in a dangerous way

3. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    #1 you call your car a "he" ....(hmmm my mistress would make noise too!)

#2 holy crap an unmuffled exhaust ......it make sound like a tractor to you ....but wow what a race car sound!

Enjoy!

4. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    BTW the exhaust donuts are $40 each and take little effort to change

its a true DIY

that is if you like to get your hands dirty

5. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill

I replaced a leaky exhaust donut on my car... I would rather cut off a pinky finger than do that again. The old donut had somehow welded itself to the exhaust pipe. I had to use picks and a Dremel tool to get it all out. It took hours as I was trying to avoid damaging the exhaust pipes. (On every other car I've seen, the donut falls to the ground when you remove the bolts holding the exhaust pipes together.)

Good luck!

6. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    #6 GordonC, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I can appreciate your frustration - I had my 308 QV's rear header crack the #2 tube about an inch from the flange, and it sounded like a lawn mower crossed with a VW beetle. Not at all exotic! I'm sure everyone who heard it thought it must have been one of those cheap replicas... :D Naturally, it happened when I was on a road trip - on the return leg, but still 800 kilometres from home!

If you're lucky, it will be the manifold gasket leaking (blown out) for only one exhaust port on that front manifold. If it's the manifold itself, then there will be a fair bit of labour to remove the header and repair or replace it. I was lucky, my leaky header was the rear one, I could remove it without having to remove the right side fuel tank as is required on the 308's front header.

Here's pictures of that rear header, showing the places where previous owners had already had it re-welded to repair previous failures. This was definitely on it's last legs; I installed a new Tubi header rather than trying to have the original unit repaired yet again. I am holding off installing the front header, because of the more complicated install access.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    You need to submit that right hand header group to the Museum of Modern Art in NYC.

8. Journiacois

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    Thanks Gordon for the really detailed review of the process with the pics. It really helped me understand better what would have to go on. I have spoken to my garage guy and in fact it seems that an old welded joint did give out again. They did have to drop the motor to get to it and he says he'll be able to reweld it. In fact, they found another joint just about ready to give up too and are going to go over all the welds on the header. I should be good to go for a while before going the replacement route.

The price he had for a Ferrari replacement header was 2000 Euros. I had found that Superformance has it for 700. But the reweld will just be 200. That does not count the manhours of dropping and reinstalling the motor (which would have been there in either case). I think I'm getting off pretty good considering.

And while its in the shop I'm having a few small things looked at. I had them install a switch to allow me to use my fog lights as running lights. But they still had them attached to the parking lights and I'm getting them to allow me to have the fog lights on without having the parking lights on too.

Lastly I'm having them change out the gear oil and replace it with Redline. I have seen so many posts talk about how well it solves our balky gear box problems, especially when cold. It is something I have been wanting to do for some time.

So OK, I've chilled out a bit from where I was on Sunday evening. I had been on such a high that what has turned out to be a relative hiccup, really had me down. I should be back on the road next week with only a slightly lightened pocket. It does come with the territory with having a classic car, and since I'm not able to do these sorts of things on my own (no work space, no experience, no equipment), every little problem becomes a possible big event in my mind.

I am experienced in these things having had old cars for some time and something always goes wrong. It is part of the game. Yes I could just drive our modern cars with more reliability and never experience the joy of a real driving machine. Then it is just transportation.

I thank my calming car club friends, and the support from the fchat community for keeping things in perspective. I'm ready to get back on the road again.

9. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Hi J,

Ferrari panic anxiety syndrome! Happened to me when I scattered a clutch plate at about 8,000 rpm. Fortunately I live in North Georgia mountains and we have - well - NASCAR guys. My local wrench won't admit it to me directly, but he really had a fine old time doing it. Even asked if I might consider cam belt replacements. He thinks the engine/tranny casting is "Genious!" But I digress yet once again. And here is my advice. Don't go to Lourdes just yet. You might get lucky like me! Two years and 10,000 miles and other then my own missmangement with the clutch the only thing that has ever gone wrong is a $450 Bosch starter.

If you are unlucky the only thing to do is get used to it. And speaking of syndromes! I am afraid to stop driving the Mondial as my only car for the simple reason Contessa Prugna Metallica is high born lady who likes to show her stuff. I fear if I park her for more then a few days she will take revenge!

In addition, keep writing of your adventures!

PS: I remember your nice country side photos of lovely old buildings. You may reference that to my KWIK STOP photo above. However, I have a 12 mile two lane blacktop with 65 turns. And thats just ONE of many unpatrolled back woods adventures. Georgia has unexpectedly good back roads! Uninhabitted National Forests, many of them!

My last tires needed replacement at 6,000 miles.

10. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid

Isn't it funny (interesting funny) how the term "Old" has different meanings depending on where you are? Old for Europe is probably a reference to the 15th century or earlier. Old for the Northeast US is probably 18th Century. Old for Texas -- well nothing matters prior to 1836. And in the area that I live in - Old refers to the 1970s and 80s, i.e. an old house is one built prior to 1990.

Sid

11. Journiacois

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    Actually David, I am very familiar with the north GA mountains. We lived our last 18 years in Atlanta before moving here in 2007. Our retirement plans then, involved 5 acres of mountain property north of Jasper GA. At the time, I had my XK8 and Fiat 124 spider and loved the thought of those roads you zoom around as our retirement location. But then France, the country of my mother, beckoned. In a way though, the countryside is much the same. Lots of trees and hills and curves and isolated roads wonderful for driving.

As far as the buildings, Sid is correct, these here are made of the stone which has been bubbling up from the earth for millennia. My house is actually considered a "new" one as it was built around 1800.

The point is, every drive here is a drive through history. I was, and am excited every day that Dante is at the door. History or not, it is the drive that counts to me. I dont want to over exaggerate my anxiety of something going wrong. In the end, I know I have credit cards and a cell phone. No matter what happens to the car (and I agree, that they are actually incredibly well made and no more likely to break down than any other 30ish year old car), things will work out ok. I have already put over 8,000 kilometers on Dante, and have never been stranded. He has always got us home. The road awaits and I love the car I have to take to it.

12. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I'm glad you are using your Mondial. I wish I could bring mine w/ me when I go to France next Spring!

13. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I find with these cars more than other places, all is well that ends well. As soon as I'm back behind the wheel, the money spent is a distant memory and the joy is alive!

14. Antwan

Antwan Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Manchester UK
    I too had an exhaust manifold shear close to the engine block but on an old kit car I owned. Admiring glances turned to shock as I drove along with 2ft flames shooting out of the silencer! Fun for while anyway!

15. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    If you do need to replace a header, check out the Tubi pricing - after pricing out several replacement options, I was very pleasantly surprised at being able to buy the pair of Tubi headers for ~$2,400 USD from Rutlands in the US.

16. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    My sister and brother-in-law own the oldest house in Summit County, Ohio. It is made of very thick stones perhaps 12 inches thick, 24 inches long, and 12 inches hight. It still has the original slate roof from about 1820.