'm finally ready to take the plunge and buy a Mondial! | FerrariChat

'm finally ready to take the plunge and buy a Mondial!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Alden, Apr 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I have been lurking here for a while and have learned a lot from all of you.

The stars are all aligned now for me to finally buy my Mondial!

I am in Central Florida and will be looking at a few local cars to get a feel for how they drive, but I am not limiting my search to any specific area.

I know I want an 86+ but not a "T." I like the fact that I can work on the pre T models myself. I am a pretty good wrench, given enough time and patience and have a great running Jag XJR to show for it.

It took me three years to find and buy the perfect Jag, so I am not in a hurry for a stable mate for the cat.

Thanks for all the info I have devoured over the past few years and if anyone can point me towards a good car, or if you have any additional advice, I would appreciate it.
    Alden

2. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    The T's are plenty work-on-able :) by a DIY'er. Sure you need a lift but that is a "fun" problem to have.

3. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    If Wade's 3.2 is available, it would be a very well sorted car for you. Shoot him a PM, he is not far away from you.

Regards,
    Jerry

4. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I am already talking to my Wife about how "convenient" it would be to have a lift in our 3 car garage! We'll see............
    Alden

5. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    I just ordered mine. The garage guy was here today changing the door to a high lift. Now I need to install the jack shaft opener this weekend. Hoping to have the lift ready to roll by this time next week!

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Thanks Jerry but I'm pretty sure he's looking for a Cab.

7. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    Best think I ever did to my garage (besides putting a Mondial in there).

I have a 4 post Direct-Lift. Also had the high-lift tracks for the doors installed and the Liftmaster/Chaimberlain Jackshaft on both doors. Now I can raise the Mondial up to the full 10ft ceiling.

Sid

8. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    Some of us think the Coupe's are the way to go!!!

Nothing like a pretty blue Coupe! And yes, I admit it, I'm prejudiced - Love the Coupes.

It could also have something to do with the pain of having to install a new CV top. Currently doing (still - after 4 weeks) a top on my Karmann Ghia.

sid

9. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Take the plunge? Are You atop a high cliff?

10. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Sid,

Although I'm the proud owner of a Cabriolet, I don't have a hard time at all getting what you're saying. The coupes are also very, very charming Mondials indeed. Coupes turned my head long before I decided to pull the trigger on my Cabriolet, blue and black being my favorite colors.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

11. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    My sister asked if I minded the reclining position she assume the car required. I told her not only do I sit upright, but have more headroom then any other car I have ever owned. More like a Ford F-150 pick up truck then an F-1! It is the only car in which I can comfortably wear my cowboy hat. With the obvious exception of my convertible Corvair ;).

12. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    My daily driver is a 2014 F-150, great truck! My wife used to drive one too and at one time we had two F-150's parked in our garage.

Since she just bought a new Ford Escape she mentioned that we can fit another car in the garage along with hers and my Jag.

So started the search in earnest for the Mondial!
    Alden

13. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Get a 3.2 Cab - can get under $40K and reliable.

Good luck!

14. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
  15. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    #15 sidtx, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    Another F-150 Driver! I have a 14 supercab with the 5.0 Coyote! It's a great truck. Comfy, loud (love that coyote growl), and can tow 9000lbs.

Anyone that collects or works on "classic" cars should have a truck. You never know when you are gonna need to tow an acquisition home. I pulled a 5000lb Mercedes (on a 2000lb) trailer up I35 from San Antonio. Truck didn't even feel the weight back there.

And, as for fit another car in the garage, if you haven't already done so, try to talk the wife into allowing you to put in a 4 post lift. Instant extra parking space.

Sid

16. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #16 Alden, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
    We have always had at least one F-150 in the family. I am in agriculture and have several F-350's, both dually and 4WD and an F-250 at the farm, so no shortage of trucks.

I towed my XJR to Road Atlanta in November with my new '14 F-150 4x4 to run her on the track. (It is a great track car, BTW even though I was not the fastest one out there!) I have the 5.0 and got about 16 MPG towing about 5,000 lbs at 70 MPH most of the way.

Newer F-150's ride great, are quiet and comfortable and they changed the exhaust this year so you really get a wonderful growl at WOT too!

I am working on engineering for the lift. I may have to raise the ceiling in my garage by a few inches or so to make it work. Can anyone tell me the exact height of a Mondial with the top down? If I store it with a tonneau cover with the top dropped, I may have enough height, we'll see...

The four post models are nice for storage, but the two post models would allow me to use it like a real lift, better access and I could take the wheels off for cleaning and brake service, etc. The manufacturer says the two post models are fine for storage too and some are even cheaper than the four post models.

My Wife just rolled her eyes when I said I was going to install a lift, she knows me pretty well by now and I am grateful that she supports all my "hobbies."

I am a regional coordinator for Jaguarforums.com and this forum seems just as friendly and helpful as the Jag forum. Believe me, some hobby forums out there are downright hostile to newbies, I appreciate the warm welcome and assistance.

Thanks again for all the helpful comments.
    Alden

17. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Thanks for the lead. The black looks great on the Mondial, but I think I am going to fall into the "red for my first Ferrari" hole here.

I also think I am going to go for a 86-88 model.

The rustproofing added to the 86 models and electrical system mods to the 87-88's seem attractive.

Please keep them coming!
    Alden

18. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister

Maxjax by Danmar

19. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    I believe the cabriolet is 50" high with the top up if that helps.

20. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Thanks.

Is it any shorter with the top down?
    Alden

21. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    I think the difference is marginal. If it comes to that, you will touch the ceiling once.

A friend of mine had the same issues and made a recess in the ceiling. He installed a sunlight dome.

You gain a few inches with a 2 post lift over a 4 post lift.

22. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I agree IMO the 3.2 is the way to go.

23. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Yes, I already talked to an engineer friend of mine and he said raising the ceiling a foot or so was no big deal.

So the 2 post is shorter than the 4 post?
    Alden

24. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    Hi Alden

Some of the four post lifts come with a sliding lift jack that allows you to jack up one end of the car for wheel removal or other work. This has worked well for me.

As for the wife, I got the same reaction. Now, she loves the lift as it added to our available parking space, and makes it easy to get under and work on the cars (including her hold MB).

Sid

25. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    Hi Alden

My ceiling height is exactly at 10ft. I can the mondial on the lift, along with 1 other, smaller car underneath (i.e. 2011 BMW 328 fit, 2013 Hyundai (daughters car) Elantra fit, F150 - no way, 2015 BMW X3 - no way).

Sid