Comparing the 308 GT4 with the Mondial Coupe | FerrariChat

Comparing the 308 GT4 with the Mondial Coupe

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Wade, Apr 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #1 Wade, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm intrigued by the current market trends regarding both of these cars. Up until very recently, interest in the GT4 was limited. Some excuses were "it's not a Ferrari" and the fact that it was designed by other than Pininfarina. But suddenly, the car is trending upwards in both desirability and value. Quite significantly I might add.

Meanwhile, the Mondial Coupe has had a slight jump in pricing but otherwise remains relatively flat.

NOTE: For the sake of this discussion/comparison, I did not include the Mondial t Coupe (too technologically advanced and with a completely different drivetrain. More of a 348 2+2 instead ;) ).

So, let's look at the similarities between the GT4 and the Mondial; both are 2+2 mid-engine V8 GT cars with fixed roofs.

It's worth noting the 8 year production run (total = 3373) for the former and a 9 year run (total = 3223) for the latter.

What's interesting, there are fewer Mondials! However, current valuation (Hagerty) shows the GT4, at Condition 4, to be higher than the Mondial at Condition 1.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Many have said that the Ferrari market is bubbling, and maybe more so with some GT4s being listed (asking) at over $100k.

My question, where do you see the Mondial Coupe's value/pricing, say, 6 months to a year from now?

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Slap four webers on your Mondial and you may get $33k for it. Ducking for cover.

4. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Hardly a definitive answer but the Webers certainly add to the charm of the GT4 :)

5. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    I've got Webers on my 3.2, and I have standing offers higher than that.

I'd say 3.2's and T's will routinely see asking prices of $60k+. I'm already seeing examples.

6. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I'm hoping that it is a bubble. I sold my mondial coupe because I wanted to get into a 308 and unfortunately couldn't afford to keep 2 Ferraris but now with the price rise they are out of my league. I'm surprised the Mondial's haven't risen they are the only F cars left that you can buy for under 30k. I'm noticing the 355's are spiking up in price maybe the 348 and Mondials will be next.

7. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Hi Wade!

Are you sure about those production numbers? I think there were nearly a thousand 1986 Mondials produced? And the Mondials are about half what the two seaters go for. So I do not expect any big change in either that ratio or the general cost. After all, the 3xx Ferraris are, I believe, the most prolific of any Ferrari model run.

8. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #8 Wade, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    I haven't seen any 3.2 Mondials that high yet. But I'm listening/looking. :)

For good examples, I agree that the Mondial is the only one left. The 400 has similar pricing for purchase but ownership costs are considerably higher.

Yes, numbers were acquired from reputable sources.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/ferrari-discussion-not-model-specific-sponsored-algar-ferrari/196388-ferrari-road-car-models-production-numbers.html

But remember, the [global] numbers that I'm using are for Coupes only (no Cabs) and the GT4, both of which are 4 seaters. The other 308s are not considered since "not a comp".

And maybe you're thinking about the fact that all 3.2 Coupes are "nearly a thousand".

9. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    We all know that asking prices are different then selling prices.

10. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Would anyone sell their conditon 1, Mondial Coupe for $28k? I didnt think so...and therefore, is this data a true indicator of their value?

11. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    If you WOULD be willing to sell your condition 1 Mondi Coupe for $28K, definitely PM me. ;)

Mondials will definitely continue to increase in value. I think what will slow their rise is the availability of comparable Ferrari substitutes at specific price points. If 348s, 355s, and 360s don't increase significantly in value, then my thought is that many potential buyers would probably opt for one of these other cars instead of a Mondial if there isn't much of a price delta.

One could argue that the 308 GT4 has exceeded the value of these other cars and they're still being purchased. However, I believe that the price appreciation that they've seen is primarily driven by the vintage of the GT4 and the lack of other lower-cost Ferrari substitutes from that era.

2cam

12. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    Yes but repeated examples of asking prices over $40k plus higher sales prices in Europe suggest to me that we're about to see Mondial prices climb. Maybe the vintage F car bubble bursts in the next 6 months or maybe not, who knows.

Here's a 3.2 with a $69k asking price. http://m.cars.com/vehicledetail/#vdp?listingId=628523931 High in my opinion, but I found five examples of Mondials around the country last week with asking prices over $40k.

13. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #13 Wade, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    But Diz, that's a Cab, which is not the subject of this thread and can't compare to a GT4. Yes, plenty of Cabs with high asking prices. Still, black/tan Cabs with over 30k miles were only $35K about 6 months to a year ago.

14. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Apparently someone has recently, that's how Hagerty defines their data e.g. actual sales.

15. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #15 Wade, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    Very good point. But that doesn't explain the lack of interest in the 400 (a V-12 Ferrari). Or is the GT4 the "next best" due to the prices of the other 308s becoming so lofty?

16. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    The 308s and 400s are such different cars (other than both being Ferraris). Can they really be compared as substitutes for one another? But yes, I believe you're right about the GT4s being pulled along by the values of the overall 308 market. I'm of the opinion that if the price delta between comparable condition GT4s and 2-seat 308s is small enough, most buyers would opt for the 2-seat cars. I believe that the same principle applies to the Mondial versus 328s/348s/355s/360s.

There are exceptions of course. My personal interest in the Mondial hinges on two primary factors - 1. I like the styling of the Mondial Coupes, and 2. they have 4 seats so the kids can go along for rides. The lower price point is just a bonus. ;)

2cam

17. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    400's have gone up in value also I don't think you can get a decent driver for under 30 anymore.

18. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    I think there's a couple of things going on here in regard to the 308Gt4.

1. The vintage is probably the biggest component of the price jump.
    2. It has a 308 in the name. As a lot of people jump into the Ferrari game, they see the high desirability of the 3x8 2 seaters. I think that helps the GT4s as they also carry a 308 tag. Just imagine what the cars might go for if it was called a "Daytona Gt4" instead of "308 GT4".

I think that if the Ferrari market (in general) holds or continues to climb, we will see the Mondials also climb. The Mondials are great, fantastic values.

I also think the 400s are going to start climbing. I'm thinking of adding a 400a (automatic) to my garage (the wife cant/wont drive a manual). So, because I usually mistime purchases pretty badly - I'm expecting the 400s to skyrocket - just before I find the one for me.

Sid

19. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    One of these was for sale when I bought my 3.2 for about the same price. In some ways its a more interesting car since very very few were manufactured and they are classic front engine rear drive V-12. However, the one for sale was an automatic. As a second Ferrari even that would be OK since it uses a GM tranny so that would be cheap. And front engine rear drive is theoretically easier to work on.

Does anyone know the handling characteristics? I think it would be cool to show up at the Ingles and fill the trunk with groceries. On the otherhand I did the same thing today with The Contessa and had a guy come over to talk and said she made him smile. He has several old MGs. Plus I got two separate thumbs up going home. One from a guy in a Nissan Z350. Oh yeah. A guy at one of the beer stops said it was a good looking car! When your right your right!

The Z-350 guy pulled off the road and gave me a thumbs up and I gave him a thumbs up plus 7,000 rpms. Good times had by all. I doubt he knows he could take me. Certainly 7,000 rpms is like most people around here have never heard before.

20. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #20 Wade, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  22. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Have owned both. Everything is going up. In the last yr prices have risen dramatically in the Ferrari world. Mondials are not immune to this.

23. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

There is no comparison. The GT4 will eclipse even the 308 in value including fiberglass cars.
    This is not only a Ferrari but also a freaking Dino.

24. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry

30 years a go, a Dino wasn't even considered a Ferrari....Times sure have changed!!

Regards,
    Jerry

25. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Sale pending... buyer is getting a bargain.