No start when hot. Problem solved thanks to forum members | FerrariChat

No start when hot. Problem solved thanks to forum members

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by AUDIO RESEARCH, Apr 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    Hi to all,

This I think is my second post and have been lurking for some time. I would like to thank our fellow forum members because I have solved the No start when hot problem of my 88 Mondial cabriolet. I read about this problem in this forum and learned a lot.I also had the same problem in my 89 Porsche 930 w/c uses the K Jetronic CIS in w/c the Fuel accumulator was also the culprit. Since Ferrari parts for our old cars is not available in the Philippines I bought a Bosch fuel accumulator (use in old 280's & 450's) from a Mercedes Benz parts dealer.Mechanic installed the part and was surprised that the accumulator we replaced was identical to that of the Mercedes Benz. Took the car for a test drive after installation drove, it in hot humid weather for 30 mins. Parked the car and I restarted it after 45 mins and it easily started w/o hiccups . Tested it again after a long drive restarted the car same result. Problem solved. Next problem to tackle is the windshield wiper it only works on some occasions.

The car was handed down to me by my Father who seldom drives the car because his already 83 y/o and some health issues.

audio research

2. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    So when and where is the party?

3. AUDIO RESEARCH

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    Hi ,

I wish I can celebrate w/ you fellow forum members have some barbecue but I'm from the Philippines. Its in the tropics in S.E. Asia. We have relatives there in Escondido and San Marcos and the weather is fantastic! I envy you guys there in California you can drive your Cabriolet all year round w/ the top down . Here in the Philippines the top seldom goes down because its so hot.

audio research

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    For me it was either the Magnolia Ice Cream or the San Miguel beer. Very refreshing on a hot afternoon. :)

5. braq

braq Karting

Mar 29, 2010
    Hill Island
    Full Name:
    Paul XXXcX
    The accumulator is indeed a very common K-JET part and if you type in the part number you find most references to the W116 Mercedes series (along with R107). I believe ours have input and output (versus single input, probably like a T connection along the flow from pump to distribution) and not that cheap anymore (160ish Euros in 2015), some US sources probably still around $100...and appear to be not in stock (at your local parts dealer) anyway.
    I was wondering (given the medium engine size of somewhat 3liters) if theoretically one could also use the much more common type for 4 cylinder engines (aka 924 porsche, Audis, VW Rabitt, and when I inquired were readily available). Other than the volume (but not the pressure it retains) can't see no difference as long as it has input and output. Any thoughts on that?

cheers

braq

6. AUDIO RESEARCH

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    Right you are Wade specially now that its summer time. Are you a fellow Filipino based in Florida? I've been to Florida twice. Its hot there but not as hot and humid like the Philippines. That is why I think the symptom of a failing fuel accumulator is readily apparent.

7. AUDIO RESEARCH

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    according to Pelicanparts the Fuel Accumulator of the 924 can also be used on the 911 T/E/S the 74 911 S & Carrera. I think the control pressure are the same , but it only has 2 fittings.

8. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Just three visits, at least a week each, courtesy of the US Air Force back in 1984. We hired a Jeepney to tour the countryside and also visited an auto shop where they were fabricating a Countach body by hand.

Beautiful country and many nice memories.

9. AUDIO RESEARCH

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    Beautiful country and many nice memories.[/QUOTE]

i'm glad you enjoyed your occasional visits to the Philippines back in the day.

audio research

10. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Gotta love F'Chat people helping each other out! Most will never meet each other, but there is an undeniable fraternal feeling about the way we relate. Glad your problem was solved. Take your dad for a long ride ...

11. AUDIO RESEARCH

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    Thanks David one of this days I will take him for a ride. I really appreciate the help of fellow Mondial owners in this forum. I think my Mondial Cabriolet is the only one in the Philippines. This is the reason why I depend on you guys based there in the USA & Europe for help regarding Mondial problems. Fellow forum members are God send .