Tire Report Update 4,000 Miles | FerrariChat

Tire Report Update 4,000 Miles

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Rapalyea, Apr 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Continental ExtremeContact DW - Installed Last Fall

These tires have worn in nicely and are not yet half worn down. They will last longer then the Pirellis - the fronts inside edges of the Pirellis wore down in about 6,000 miles. I run the Contis @ 40psi all around and wear is even. I run them at 40psi because they are soft riding tires and they tightened up a bit at 40psi. I bought these tires because they have three solid ribs around the center of the tire for tracking stability. I was correct about that. These are the best tracking tires I have ever owned. Finger tip driving.

At the very limit they push a bit more then the Pirellis, but that might be due to the high tire pressure. I might or might not try 35psi. I have done enough barn-storming already and the shear ease of driving briskly with great accuracy has a lot of daily appeal. Traction is listed as AA rather then AAA and is noticeable on absolutely max cornering. However, max braking is good and perhaps a bit more controllable then the Pirellis. I am ordering a second set for my MAXX. I almost never do that.

2. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I have them on one of my BMW's and they are a good tire for the money. I find them to be a little too soft though.

3. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
  4. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    What are they like in the wet, can you get a full power pull away without wheel spin off the line, are they progressive also?
    Many thanks Bell

Ps How much ;-)

5. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #5 MvT, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If I am not mistaken this is a All-Season tyre so they should do better in wet conditions compared to any summer tyre, but there are only a few who drive in the rain :) Top down, cloudburst and go! :D

Continental ExtremeContact DWS
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I have them on my sons BMW five series and they are very good in the wet.
    They wear well and they are quiet. The only thing that I have noticed is that they are a little soft on turn in. I think they would be a fine choice for the mondial.

7. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    This is a strange thought/request, but here goes:

Has anyone put really cheap tires (I found some Kumos for $85 a corner) on a spare set of wheels - just to make the car a little more "slide-able"?

Something that would allow the tires to break loose easier?

I know some frown on "abusing" our cars. However, I'm in the "let's have some fun" camp.

The Goodyear Eagles that I currently have are very, very sticky. And as they are new, they won't be worn for a while.

Sid

8. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #8 MvT, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    Nitto tyres are for drifting. Japanese brand, but I guess that figures :) they don't come cheap btw. I think I would go for Dunlop, which usually has a hard compound. I had Kumo on my 17inch wheels and they have pretty hard compound as well, bartzagato knows as he took over my wheels. Perhaps he can tell more about it as he probably drove more on them then meself.

Good year :) they are made to stick!

9. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    These are Summer tires with deep anti-hydroplaining groves. In the mountains we seldom find standing water and thus I was not able to test that. On normal wet roads they are very grippy. But simple wet roads are not that dangerous. In fact, thats when I do most of my test driving since the limits are lower and thus I can practice the same maneuvers at lower speeds.

10. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #10 Rapalyea, Apr 23, 2015
    They are soft, but tighten up nicely with 40 psi. Last time I went out I was 'pushing' a bit but then found one front tire 35 psi. All back up to 40psi and got back from my fun-Ferrari-run and am quite pleased. The tires, of course, are better after the 4,000 miles I put on them this Winter. And they are wearing well and evenly.

PS: I reviewed the tires on tirerack with the headline "Continental! Do not redesign this tire!" or some such. Years and years ago Dunlop had D60 A2 tires or some such. FANTASTIC stiff sidewall performance tire. Why Consumers Report listed them top rated in the 'normal' category is beyond me. But no longer available or at least not under that designation.

11. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #11 Rapalyea, Apr 23, 2015
    I have cheap Kumos on my Corvair and quite a surprise. Very grippy. So much so I became a bit more agressive with the car and now will need to replace the rears after probably no more then 5,000 miles. An this is scary: Much of that wear was at 90mph down hill near max G for a near 90 degree long section. Its a lovely four lane open sweeper and very tempting. And much available since it is the 'main drag' so to speak.

But in a 50 year old convertible it was intemperate. I do not even do that with the Ferrari anymore.

PS: Look for the highest wear number you can find. I think they go as high as 600. My tires run 190 to 300 +. The 190s, shall we say, were et up rather rapidly, as they were actually street going autocross tires. Road Atlanta Auto Cross training had me running down slow drivers in the various Lotuses. (Loti?)