Removing nail polish | FerrariChat

Removing nail polish

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by uberlink, Apr 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. uberlink

uberlink Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    I think my daughter got some pink nail polish on the paint of my 86 mondial. It's not bad, but suggestions for safe removal?

2. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Id start with some clay.

peterp likes this.
  3. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hey uberlink,

Have a bit of fun with her. Tell her that she must go to college, get her doctorate, and then she'll be able to pay for a down to metal respray. Then smile - - give her a kiss, and tell her how much you love her.

As for safe removal of the nail polish .... sorry :(, I haven't got a bloody clue!!

Cheers mate,

Hank

afterburner likes this.
  4. uberlink

uberlink Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    She's five, but I'll certainly tell this story when we celebrate her doctorate.

5. MNExotics

MNExotics F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 13, 2010
    Good Thunder
    Full Name:
    Ben Gruenzner
    If you can't get it off call me. I could use the drive.

6. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    the first sentence that comes to mind:
    Yelled like a cop: "young lady, step away from the vehicle!"

Here: the garage is of limits for the GF. No bikes are allowed in the garage, if she needs the Vespa: I take it out.

For the rest: I'm pretty at ease on the toys: drinking and eating in the cars is ok for me. But I'm the only one that can makes scratches on the toys.

Last month I made a beautiful wide scratch to bare metal on the (3yr old full repaint) Lancia, when I was passing with a foldable workbench. Still taking my heartpills! 😉

On topic: a q-tip with nail polish remover and try to rub it of. Then buff it up with car wax.
    Car paint is much much harder than nailpaint, ladies want to change every week of color.

7. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

nail polish remover should work fine.

To be sure, try it first on a small area of paint that's not otherwise visible. (Inside trunk, for instance.)

But, nail polish and touch up paint are similar compounds, and Langka makes a compound that dissolves that without harming the paint as well.

D

8. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Reminds me of something that took place about 14 years ago when our oldest son was five years old.
    I had the Mondial parked in the driveway and was waxing it while Evan was milling about the yard.
    I noticed that I hadent seen him in a while so I called to him. He answered from inside the garage. When I walked in to see what he was doing, I saw him with 80 grit sandpaper in his hand polishing my front quarter.

It's funny now......

afterburner and lagunacc like this.
  9. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Nail polish remover is almost entirely acetone. In less than expert hands on car paint, that is not a good mix.

10. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

11. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

12. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I think I would go to a detailer. They can remove such within 10min without a trace. On the other hand knowing myself I think I will try something myself first.

13. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    DO NOT USE NAIL POLISH REMOVER OR ACETONE! THEY ARE THE SAME THING IT WILL REMOVE YOUR PAINT

Go to you local auto place and by some buffing compound then polish it out

14. uberlink

uberlink Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    I used a little acetone nail polish remover. It worked fine, although there was a bid of reddish color on the cloth so I think I removed a tiny amount of surface paint. I washed and waxed. Looks 100% fine, but next time I'll wait for more posts. Probably helped that it was very, very little nail polish. I think she just grazed the car when her nails were a bit wet.

Lesson to all: the people who said don't use acetone were right, but no visible harm done.

15. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    #15 YELO T, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    A little fine cut cleaner and an orbital buffer will polish anything right out, but sounds like you are ok. I'm not 100% sure, but 87 probably doesn't have a clear coat (hence the trace of red). Single stage paint loves to be polished.

17. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Good to see you got it removed! :)

If you one polishes their car you will remove paint as well ;) My Alfa QV was red without a clear coat and after 15 years of age the primer started to come to the surface after all the polishing.. and red just needs polishing once and a while. I re-sprayed the Alfa and put also a clear coat over it and I actually never polished again as it stayed shinny. If I would have gotten a red Mondi I would have sprayed a clear coat over it if.

18. pexogoce

pexogoce Karting
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2022
    Full Name:
    pexogoce
    Silly question I know, but I am afraid that it may leak. Easy to find in Rome??