Who has changed his own timing belt? | FerrariChat

Who has changed his own timing belt?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by FCnew, May 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Noob questions here...

Who has changed his own timing belt?

Where did you get the belt?

Was it difficult to do? Any pictures? Video on the web?

What to look out for?

Would you do it again?

2. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Step-by-step video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn-bpUziJag

eBay, Superformance UK, Ricambi America, T. Rutlands, Ferrparts all have them. Manufactured by Dayco if you want generic

Also, as I believe at least certain Mondial blocks are substantially the same or similar to the 308, look up the procedure write-up at birdman308.com, an invaluable resource.

Welcome to the club!

3. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Recommend buying a set of cam locks. Perhaps Unobtainium Supply Co. has a set sized for Mondial? If it's the same as the 308 engine, then definitely.

4. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    I see this is your first post. Welcome to Fchat.

5. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Yes this is my first post... thanks for the welcome.

I thought I would do some research to see if I can afford this toy. Looks like a great community here... lots of info, and lots of helpful folks.

6. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Welcome! which Mondial you have put your senses to? 8,QV,3.2 or T? The T is a very different ride.

7. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    Did my own belts on my 308. Getting ready to do it on my new to me Mondial 3.2. Not a difficult job. Just be patient and methodical.

8. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Belts are an easy job if you no how to turn a wrench. There is not much a good DIY can't do on a Mondial 3.2. A lot of the maintnance cost is labour on a Ferrari, if you buy the parts at the right place and DIY you can afford to own as any other car.

And this community has a lot of good knowledge guys ready to help.

9. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    I did not even know there are so much differences until yesterday when I read up the forums here. I am still learning; it seems most people prefer the 3.2, but the T is more technologically advanced. I will keep an open mind and do more readings before deciding.

10. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Just watched the video... thanks for the link.

It appear the job is doable. Not easy... but doable. Will watch the video again.

11. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    The hard part for me was getting the a-c out of the way. Just make sure you mark everything very well before removing the belts. Then if something happens to slip a little it will be easy to go back. Good luck.

12. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
  13. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Wwoow... thanks for the documentary. This is very detailed and very informative. I will study it carefully. Thanks again.

14. dpospres

dpospres Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2005
    Replacing the belts yourself is a very straight forward job that can be done yourself. There is an exception to that since you are looking to buy. The Mondial T has to have the engine dropped out to do the service on it.

15. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    As stated before 3.0 and 3.2 don't "have" to be dropped but they are engineeered to drop the subframe and engine in one section, so why not do it that way. Just changing the belts is only one part of the job and a small one at that. There are many hoses to check and replace, h2o pump, degree the cams, etc. Just swapping out the belts without doing much more is really a short cut IMO

16. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Most prefer the 3.2 and earlier as you don't have to pull the engine for most of the work. However at a certain point you will need to drop it. Like Meister said, you sometime have no view on things that are important. It is doable to do all hoses with the engine in, but if I would do it over again I will drop the engine. Also for other things to inspect etc.

If you do not mind to drop an engine and like to wrench.. get a T. Keep in mind they in general have a higher maintenance price then earlier models. Good luck and let us know what you will decide. Don't buy anything without a technical inspection. Mondials can be quite a money pit ;)

and how tos... you can all find it here, like Mike's great post or in the 348 section for a T on the engine!

17. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    If you want one to drive, find one that's been driven regularly for the last few years. It's a good indication. Maintenance is important. These cars can eat you alive if you get a needy one. Other than that they are like many other cars. Before my Mondial I'd replaced a timing belt on a Honda Civic. I took my time and it went alright. I put marks on the belt in place and the cam sprocket in two places on each one. I pulled the belts without locking the cams. I then put paint marks on the new belt to match the old belt and lined it all up. It was perfect. I did put the engine to TDC in case anything went awry. On second thought I may not have locked the cams because I pulled them from the engine. First time I'd ever done that.

It will likely be more expensive than you had hoped, but if you are a car guy, you will be glad you did it anyway. They are amazing cars, but artists and car guys get it best.

18. braq

braq Karting

Mar 29, 2010
    Hill Island
    Full Name:
    Paul XXXcX
    I would like to do it myself, or even better assisting someone to learn, next time the change comes up.
    A well reputed shop has just done the change on mine and it turned out both were off by one tooth. We considered the likelihood of jumping just one tooth as minimal and guess the shop before that did not check after completing (I did see the TDC lining up).

I have interviewed a friend who assisted two times in the timing belt change (a knowledgable Alfa owner took the lead and was paid fairly for his time) and asked if he would do it himself the next time.

Answer, no, because if you mess it up it is close to a financial meltdown of the whole car (regarding engine rebuild). I've done the timing belt on my cheapo Chrysler convertible, but I know I can pull an engine for less than the car's value in case it goes wrong.

Cheers

braq

19. Mondial 1985

Mondial 1985 Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Mark Alan Day
    Well, not everyone has a lift in their garage by which they can raise their car to drop the engine. I'm in perfect agreememt with engine removal; that removaL is the best thing to do, maintainence-wise, but even cheap lifts run close to $1K.

20. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    With the money you saved, you can afford to buy a lift.

21. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #21 soucorp, May 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Every last belt failure I have read of [three or four] occurred after new installation. This tells me it is not to be taken lightly. I have looked at these belts and they look mil spec for an Abrams M-1 main battle tank. Further, I have seen these cars for sale that had something like SIX belt changes over the years even though they were almost never driven. [15,000 miles or three years].

Pullleeessseee. I will probably have local wrench do mine in a year or two. But the belts are clearly designed for extreme use and almost none of us does that. Even me! I have had discussions with mechanic on this issue and have been told, more or less confidentially: "Change them every ten years whether they need it or not."

I am interested in anyone who is aware of belt failure after 15,000 miles and the details?

23. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
  24. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn