Before pulling the trigger : 1990 Ferrari Mondial T Convertible! | FerrariChat

Before pulling the trigger : 1990 Ferrari Mondial T Convertible!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by HamadUP, May 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HamadUP

HamadUP Rookie

May 18, 2015
    Hi Guys, I'm new to this forum and will be soon a Ferrari owner. I'm a 43 years old man with a great passion for cars. I'm looking at a very nice 1990 Ferrari Mondial T with about 38,000 miles. Its in a very nice shape and looks great. I know that its very expensive car to maintain properly, so I will try to do the majority of the maintenance myself. I have a 2 cars garage fully equipped with all sorts of tools as well as a two post lift. I need to know what to expect by owning and driving this car, what are the major maintenance/fix jobs that I would expect by owning a 25 years old Ferrari. I would appreciate any hint/info prior to spending my dear cash.

Hamad

2. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Post this in the Mondial section of this site. Mods.. if you could move it that would be ideal.

3. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Congrats, awesome choice but thinking the Mondial may be one of the "less" expensive models to maintain ;)
    Of course post some pictures of the car so we can all drool together.

4. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Thread moved to Mondial subforum. HamadUP, you will get better responses here.

5. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    One of the bigger expenses is changing out the timing belt. In the t, it requires dropping the rear subframe and engine to get to the belt. Once removed, it is not particularly difficult, but like everything else, there are tricks and you need to be precise. Dropping the rear subframe is labor intensive if not doing it yourself; you will need to figure out the best way to secure the subframe as it is lowered from the vehicle. Do a search here, many have gone before you.

Other things to check are the electrics, a known weak spot. Bad grounds and inadequate fusebox are the typical culprits. Upgrading to a better fusebox (Dave Helms has a very nice upgrade for example) will solve a lot of those issues.

These cars came with R12. If not converted, that is getting expensive. There are differing opinions on R12 replacement.

I am sure there are other items, folks will chime in. These are relatively sophisticated cars, given they are approaching 25 years old. Power steering and adjustable suspension are bonuses to having 2+2 seating. One of the very few Ferrari's that can be joined with the word "practical" in the same sentence! Prices seem to be on the rise, so now is a good time to secure one.

Don't be bashful about driving the car once it is warmed up. Most people here believe if you drive the car the way it was intended, it will last a lot longer and perform better, to say nothing of being more fun!

Regards,
    Jerry

6. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Be prepared for lots of complements. Let the fun begin.

7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Actually what I found is 'poorly managed' Mondials are 'expensive' to maintain.

A lot of these cars have been neglected and not properly cared for...which causes problems to snowball...causing even bigger (and more expensive problems).

A properly cared for Mondial I argue is manageable to maintain.

Of course I only have a sample size of 1, but so far the biggest problems I've had all were due to the previous owner doing stupid things.

They:
    1) Installed a bunch of electrical junk that taxed the system
    2) Did not replace things during the last 30K that should have been no-brainers (hoses and pumps)
    3) I've driving my car for about 4K miles and have small minor hiccups here and there (that sort themselves out)

It could just be psychological, but I really do feel the more I drive it - the better running it is.

Just do a proper PPI with qualified inspector - they will quote (X) to bring it back to full glory...as a margin of expectations...multiply this value by 2X - use this as a negotiating tool and you'll be happy!

So if the Mondial is going for say 40K - PPI says it will cost 8K to bring back to full condition - I would argue - offer 32K for the car (showing laundry list of things wrong from the PPI) and expect about 8K to spend after that...

I know this sounds a bit aggressive, but I rather give you as sobor of an estimate as possible - you'll probably do better then my guestimate, but at least you won't be surprised or disappointed...once these cars are sorted and driving regularly - you won't go back!!!

Just my $0.02 Welcome to the brotherhood!

8. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    No matter the price there is always work on a 25 year old car!

Prices are rising dont expect deals, .....much to what my brothers are asserting..tsk tsk gentlemen

MONDIs are coming into favor!

Back to the subject.... fill in your stats so we know where you are at cause there are huge differences in world prices for Mondis

The T is an excellent car ! especially for a person that has their own tools !

Buy it and enjoy!

9. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #9 hank sound, May 18, 2015
    Last edited: May 18, 2015
    If one is capable of working on a "sidewinder" (3.2 & before), I have a feeling, they would not feel as if they were on Mars, as regards working on a "T". But do remember, "capable" embraces common sense, knowledge, an open mind - - and of course, lots of experience.

All of this dialogue regarding what one can, or cannot do on their Mondial - - is starting to make me (urp) :)

Do we want the 'T" upgrades and refinements? Or do we want the 3.2's more elementary, raw mechanicals? The difference in cost for a major service between the 3.2 and the T (engine out), is only about $1,500, if your top notch guy does it.

Eh-beh-de, Beh-de, Beh-de ......... so what are the features you really want in your Mondial? That really is all that matters.

I would say this - - If you're on the fence regarding the purchase of a 3.2 or a T, you must drive them both. The drive will answer more questions than you were aware, even existed. Seriously.

Cheers,

Hankster

10. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

Some people say the T handles better,
    some say they can't tell the difference.

Not many have driven both.
    Besides, most people don't really push their cars to the point of "difference".

That leads to the question -- do we buy the car because we "like" the car?
    or do we buy the car to drive the car?

YMMV

11. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    +1 yep that is the difference from our top notch guy!

12. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hi FCnew,

I'm driving along in Rachel - (yeah, the one with the Daytona seats and the Valeo clutch system), anyway .......... we're just cooking along side the beach on the 101.

If I were driving a 41 Ford with a blown flathead, I'd be just as stoked!! I'm even quite happy to drive my Chevy Astro van.

It ain't about the car .......... it's about your head.

Be well & happy, my friends,

Hank

13. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Thanks Hank ! Thanks for sharing your state of mind.

Not everyone gets to drive the 101... I only drove it once, and much treasured the experience. I have forgotten what I was driving, and yes, I was pretty happy driving whatever rental I had that week.

14. TMan

TMan Formula Junior

May 13, 2006
    Colorful Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve

Ditto Paul, times...whatever number you want to insert.

15. TMan

TMan Formula Junior

May 13, 2006
    Colorful Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    PM sent