Top 10 Mondial Facts and Myths | FerrariChat

Top 10 Mondial Facts and Myths

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by paulchua, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I thought this was a fun exercise.

I've tried to think of the top 10 Mondial Facts and Myths - I've only put 9 in the fact and myth category...the 10th is up to you guys to respond with!

Without further ado:

Top 10 Mondial Myths
    1) Was Ferrari’s entry-level car
    Was more expensive than the 308/328 which were actually the real ‘entry level’ cars in the lineup

2) Slow
    This is the fault of 2 of the 3 major US publications that had lukewarm performance results for the Mondial 8 35 years ago. 1 of the 3 of the publication had great results … all subsequent articles on the qv, 3.2 and t had great performance stats on par with the competition.

3) Unsuccessful model
    One of the most successful models in Ferrari history, selling over 6,000 examples

4) Unusable rear seats
    No more inadequate than most 2+2 of the time. It will not be comfortable – but very functional if the folks riding are not very tall

5) Maintenance Nightmare
    Only cars that have been neglected, they are mechanically similar to the 308/328/348 – a properly maintained one is relatively reliable

6) Not a ‘real’ Ferrari
    Every bit of a Ferrari with the exact same engine as the 308/328/348, and was designed by Pininfarina

7) Handles Poorly
    Many formal articles often praised is handling, and there are many mentions that it handled better than the 308/328

8) Universally panned ascetically
    Pictures simply don’t seem to do justice to these cars. I’ve received overwhelmingly positive comments on and off the street.

9) They are ‘cheap’
    Latest auction prices for pristine examples have come in near or over $100,000

10) (Your Turn!)

Top 10 Mondial Facts
    1) Only mid-engine, 4 seat convertible in the world

2) Side strakes are ‘real and functional’ not decorative

3) Was a PPG Pace car for Indy

4) Direct successor to the 308 GT4

5) Many Ferrari “Firsts” (Adjustable Shocks, Valeo, ABS, Power Steering)

6) Gives you full access to full access Ferrari owner perks, such as Track Events, owners only tours of the museum, clubs and associations

7) Can be maintained by owners reasonably well (8, qv, 3.2)

8) Has been consistently updated throughout its 14-year lifecycle – with 4 different car models

9) Many famous previous owners like Michael J Fox, Rod Steward, and Ice-T.

10) (Your Turn!)

Hope you guys find this fun..interested to see what other "Facts and Myths" you guys can come up with.

2. Indyjones

Indyjones Karting

Jan 28, 2009
    Pacific NW
    #2 Indyjones, May 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Almar Gouweloos likes this.
  3. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    number ten It sounds like a Ferrari! That's all that matters. We were at a local car show and one of the judges asked if it was the original radio. I answered " I don't know and it is broken anyhow. Why would you listen to a radio when there is a symphony orchestra performing right behind you. Man are they cool!!!

4. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Pope or no Pope he better be standing on the feet he came into this world with....bare!

Get it?

5. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    I've read that when lurking on some non Ferrari forums. I've even seen people post and claim "they know first hand"! LOL. I was tempted to interject, but chose not to.

6. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    #6 davebdave, May 19, 2015
  7. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Fact: one of the best looking Ferrari ever made.

8. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Damn straight!

9. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    The Mondial owner doth protest too much, methinks. LOL

10. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    #10 RacerX_GTO, May 20, 2015
    2+2's always seem to get a bad rap. Just the nature of F world.

I always did prefer the black tb body style. Just looks stunning.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

moysiuan likes this.
  11. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Sassy!

12. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    I agree.

13. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    #13 decardona, May 20, 2015
    ronfrohock likes this.
  14. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Also like the deep dish rear wheels, hiding some pretty wide tires I suspect!

As to handling, the suspension is sensitive to adjustment and as a mid engine car, too much throttle can cause some oversteer (not nearly as dastardly as the rear engine 911 of the mid 80s, especially the 930's). A little more rear tire (or a little more rear camber) will certainly help.

Regards,
    Jerry

15. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Or ease up on the throttle.

16. bsaboy

bsaboy Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    SHEFFIELD U.K.
    Full Name:
    RICHARD SHAW
    10) makes me smile just seeing it in the garage

17. glampus

glampus Rookie

Jan 18, 2009
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    George Lampus
    I have a 1986 Mondial Cab and the best thing to happen was an upgrade to 348 rims and 17" tires; the original Michelin TRX are figuratively stone age rubber, Upgrade!
    the new rubber transforms the car. Note you'll need longer studs for 348 wheels than stock

18. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Give this man a double cheeseburger.

19. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Uh, depends when. Before the rear end begins to step out, OK, afterwards, the exact wrong thing to do. Just ask any old 911 owner about trailing throttle oversteer, or "now I can see where I just came from".......... :)

And don't forget, this was one of the last Ferrari's signed off on by the big guy himself...

Regards,
    Jerry

20. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Why use the 911 as an example as it is not a true mid-engine vehicle like the Mondial?

Just saying.

21. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Not one, but two different 3.2 Mondial cab's in two Steve Martin movies (Father of the Bride 2, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels)

22. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    #22 YELO T, May 20, 2015
    Fact?

The Mondial Cabriolet is the only regular production, four seat, mid-engine convertible ever made.

(Porsche 911 is rear engine)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Well, Jerry did say "not nearly as dastardly as the rear engine 911 of the mid 80s..." ;)

24. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    The "t" was home to other Ferrari firsts: It used power assisted steering for the first time, and had a 3-position electronically controlled suspension for a variable trade off between ride quality and road holding. It also had standard ABS.

The Mondial was the first Ferrari car where the entire engine/gearbox/rear suspension assembly is on a detachable steel subframe.

The 't' configuration was used by Ferrari's Formula One cars of the 1980s, and would be the standard for the marque's future mid-engined V8 cars, beginning with the 348, introduced later.

The company has not produced a mid-engined 2+2 car since.

25. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Top 10 Mondial Myths

1) Was Ferrari’s entry-level car
    Was more expensive than the 308/328 which were actually the real ‘entry level’ cars in the lineup

2) Slow
    This is the fault of 2 of the 3 major US publications that had lukewarm performance results for the Mondial 8 35 years ago. 1 of the 3 of the publication had great results … all subsequent articles on the qv, 3.2 and t had great performance stats on par with the competition.

3) Unsuccessful model
    One of the most successful models in Ferrari history, selling over 6,000 examples

4) Unusable rear seats
    No more inadequate than most 2+2 of the time. It will not be comfortable – but very functional if the folks riding are not very tall

5) Maintenance Nightmare
    Only cars that have been neglected, they are mechanically similar to the 308/328/348 – a properly maintained one is relatively reliable

6) Not a ‘real’ Ferrari
    Every bit of a Ferrari with the exact same engine as the 308/328/348, and was designed by Pininfarina

7) Handles Poorly
    Many formal articles often praised is handling, and there are many mentions that it handled better than the 308/328

8) Universally panned ascetically
    Pictures simply don’t seem to do justice to these cars. I’ve received overwhelmingly positive comments on and off the street.

9) They are ‘cheap’
    Latest auction prices for pristine examples have come in near or over $100,000

1) Yup, if it didnt have 12 cylinders it was lumped into a large group at the time
    2) Nonsense
    3) 2+2's of the day is not what the general Ferrari buyer was looking for
    4) Perfect for the young family or ones with Pets
    5) Any bubble gum maintained Ferrari looks better in the neighbors driveway, bar none
    6) Nonsense
    7) The perfect wheel base and track for its size. Apples to apples, it is faster on the track than a 308 in the same condition
    8) Personal preference
    9) I Hope that holds correct....... a Mondial is my next Ferrari. Any cheap T cabs out there?