Nice way to arrive at the marina | FerrariChat

Nice way to arrive at the marina

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Rapalyea, May 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #1 Rapalyea, May 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is where I dock my pontoon boat. The channel in the upper right leads to a very meandering lake with about 170 miles of shoreline. I've meandered the entire shoreline many times at slow speed. I tell the dock guys I go slower and further than anyone on the lake! When ten feet from shore 5 mph is too fast.

However, unless you do that you will miss many many miles of hidden places, often shallow places. And on two separate occasions no place at all - having entirely run off the official lake nautical chart. That is a place where even the watter jet guys will not follow me. Trees from both sides meet in the middle and I ended up in a cow pasture wattering hole. Deep enough watter but not much wider then the boat is long and could turn around.

People stopped on the side road and stared. That place is only accessible at certain times because the final of four bridges is five inches above the boat when the boat is about eighteen inches above the bottom. Rocks are inevitable which is why I have a military enclosed lower propeller! And at both ends of the day I use a Mondial for land transportation.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Sweet !

3. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    I hope your parking brake is set.

4. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    I love it ! David has a lake with his own Mondial launch ! :)

Cheers,

Hank

5. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I would not even have done that except the Mondial has a parking brake that actually has some teeth. The only other car that has a a good parking brake is my Corvair. Thats because the automatic version does not have a "Park" setting.

I very much like my Mondials parking brake!

6. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Nice pic.

7. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Great pic Rap! All I could think of though was risky business when the 928 went for a swim but I remember your Mondial does have a strong parking brake.

8. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Hi Rob!

Always good to hear from you! Tell us about the 928 Ampha Car?

9. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I am sure you leave it in gear, in case the Mondial parking brake looses its grip! :)

Regards,
    Jerry

10. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I know Ferrari prices have been rising because all tides floats all boats but common...
    this is literally speaking ;)

11. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    In the movie "Risky Business" there was a scene where a son sneaks his dads 928 out and parks it on a boat launch and I forget the whole scene but I if I remember right he leans on the fender and the car starts rolling and ends up in the drink. One of the best lines in the movie is when he goes to the Porsche dealership to pick up the car and the service manager says "o.k. who's the U-BOAT commander"?

12. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Great movie :) :
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bodVVtqmbZE[/ame]

13. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    As a kid the very first thing or perhaps it was the twenty first thing my father ever told me about driving was: "Park the g*d d***d car in gear!" I was unaware at the time there were such things as automatic shift cars. Further! I was not only taught parrallel parking but firmly instucted when doing so on a hill to turn the front wheels such that tires hit the curb!

Once upon a time I could parrallel park my manual steering 1959 Chevy into a space only three feet longer then the car. This was an accomplishment of which I was quite proud and which was of supreme utility. This is because I went about Cincinnati in 1968 fixing typewritters with nothing BUT such parking spaces in, of course, the riot burned out bars in the black areas of town.

Anyone who looks back with nostalgia to the 1960's was not drafted and did not fix typewriters in the burned out black areas of town. Incidently I always figured I could fall back on my typewriter repair skills till my college education was completed. Which was true enough.

14. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Soucourp - film clip

"You da MAN!"

15. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    AHHHH Rebecca Demornay!!!!!

16. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #16 soucorp, May 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Her dad was Wally something, crazy fella who had his own talk show as I recall growing up during the 80s in southern CA. Rebecca was hot at the time. :)

edited: Wally George
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Looks like as close to heaven we can get here on earth!!!

18. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I didn't know her Dad was in the business too. She was on a very short lived show on HBO a couple of years ago. The show was called John in Cincinatti she still looked pretty good.

19. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    rob

Its too late for me! Married twice and that was enough romantic aversion thearapy for a lifetime. I only wish my old man, in addition to driving instruction, had aclimated me to one or two whore houses. But that is whistfull thinking....

20. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Some people wait a lifetime for the things they want, like owning a Ferrari. It is never too late........ :)

Regards,
    Jerry

21. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    LOL!!!

22. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Well there is something to your observation. My choice of vacation/retirement locations was made on a Lotus Spread Sheet back in the early-mid 1990's using SSMA (standard statistical metropolitan area) census statistics. Things like how many days above 80F how many days above 90F how many dayse below 32F and how many days below 0F. etc etc. I even subscribed to an Ashville, NC newspaper and made a daily graph of their weather which is a bit colder.

Me and my first X-wife then flew down to Atlanta rented a car and drove up North into these Southern Appalachian mountains. Now you need to understand I am something of an Ohio Yankee by Georgia standards. So did not know what we would find. Dirt roads? Actual grocery stores. All the usual "Deliverance" movie stuff.

Well. Its a futhermucking resort area with a multi lane road all the way to Atlanta. We have a Methodist college that was bequeathed something like $300 million or some such. A nationaly known school of lapidary arts within walking distance. An internationally known school of folk arts 15 minutes drive away [hand made basket for $600]. And my favorite, a 100 yard canopied gun range. [$35 per year and all the range time you can use. I shot trap five years straight and scored the clups first 50 in a row for a first timer who just had his first 25 in a row.

And the weather? IMHO the best four seasons climate on the planet. And I have spent time in 40-50 countries. And lived two years in S. California which does not have weather. This is where all the retired Floridians come for the Summer. My property taxes for a house on about two acres with a KILLER mountain view with four levels of mountains including the highest mountain in Georgia is about $1,000.

But it is not is not the Bay Area. I do miss metropolitan stuff like in DC and while Atlanta is two hours away? Once you get settled into a place without any serious Winter or serious Summer just seems to far to bother with.

23. bsaboy

bsaboy Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    SHEFFIELD U.K.
    Full Name:
    RICHARD SHAW
    Sometimes I dont understand what you guys are on about.Remember a proud moment in the late sixties when I was complimented by a stranger for parking my Nash Metropolitan in a space only a couple of feet longer than the car (I was a cocky teenager).
    How about a pic. of your boat David

24. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    If I lived in Vegas you bet! But I am a shy guy who lives in in a small town. Besides. I am 68 years old and have, more or less, been there and done that. In actual point of fact the Ferrari was higher on my bucket list two years ago. But two years and going on 11,000 miles later I may adjust my attitude.

I am not quite yet reduced to bingo. But I can hear the ping pong balls in the distance. Gaining one me......

25. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    First of all the Nash Metropolitan. YES! It was made in England but only sold in the US. An actual collectible oddity. As for a photo of the pontoon boat I will get one. But it is just a 21 ft tri-hull. Its a high quality used item I purchased for two reasons. And the fact it is high end is NOT one of them. I have been boating since 1977 and very much prefer rough-used scows!

I bought it because 1) it had full canvas; and 2) an enclosed toilette area. Me and the guys don't mind wizzing over the transom, but if we should happen to invite the ladies I feel obligated to provide appropriate facilities!