What have you done to your Mondial today! | FerrariChat

What have you done to your Mondial today!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by dfranzen, May 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    #1 dfranzen, May 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    #2 Mondial83, May 22, 2015
  3. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Don, who's DMC?

4. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Im taking care of it for my Sister In Law, she told me to keep it running for her!

5. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    So how many years has it been?

6. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    My wifes brother bought it new 1981, we just got it last week to give it some TLC!

found out it has original wires the en-"lightened" way!

7. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #7 soucorp, May 23, 2015
  8. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Only in California would you see a DMC on the curbside.

(or Porsche, or Ferrari, or Maserati, or Lambo...)

9. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    mea culpa it is a privilege to own these fine cars and curbing has to occur from time to time cause I cant afford a bigger garage in California!

10. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Mike,

Yes we do have quite the "twin" sisters!

got the boot yesterday from Rich and Famous , nice quality and no more foam particles!

I will arrange a side to side photo soon too many projects

11. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Love the Delorean.

To the original question, not a darn thing. Car is in full hibernation mode. Maybe even taken apart and forgotten about mode. It's really very sad. But that's OK. It's joined by two motorcycles that are also not fully together. I'm saving up projects for retirement ;)

12. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    My sister has a large garage down San Clemente way. But I think her son-in-law lives there.

13. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    What did I do with Mondial today? Drove down to the marina to get a boat photo then spent an hour or so quick cruising the mountain back roads returning home. And that means the long way home. Summer time and the livin is easy!

I take comfort in the fact I ran up two cars behind a state trooper in third at 7,000 rpm then ducked in when I noticed him. But I was ready. This sort of thing seems to happen after my run down that particular mountain back road. I suspect a tattle tail!

14. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #14 soucorp, May 23, 2015
  15. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Do those shoes have anti-lock heals?

16. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #16 MvT, Oct 9, 2015
    Since she is technically good. This winter we will work on making things shiny. Today I move the left over adhesive of the foam that was against the engine bonnet. Also took it apart to remove the branches and leaves that were caught up in the grill. Next will be the engine bay :eek:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    Uh, I mean laces?

Sid

18. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    One of the few things that didn't work on my Mondial when I bought it was the dash clock.

I always use the battery disconnect switch to turn the power off whenever I work on anything electrical on my cars, the Mondi is no exception, even though it is not full of sensitive electronics and computers that can be fried if you don't do this like some of my cars.

Using Guido's instructions on how to remove the tach, speedo and clock was very easy.

I found that the clock was simply unplugged at the brown, 4 pole connector on the back. The PO may not have appreciated the very bright, red clock with it's complex non intuitive stopwatch/lap timer feature. (?)

I had heard that the clocks are very bright and hard to set too, but I wanted mine to work anyway.

I plugged it back in, turned the battery cut off back on and it came to life!

Then I spent the next two hours, with instructions, getting it set to the correct time, lol!

Now if I can only get the dash light dimmer rheostat on the same panel as the clock/odometer working all will be well with my Mondi!

Any suggestions on how to fix the dimmer switch?
    Alden

19. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Today, while I had the dash apart, I replaced the very dim stock 1.4 watt bulbs for the turn signal indicators with 4 watt bulbs of the same type.

I figure with the short duration that the lamps will be on and flashing too, heat from the higher wattage bulbs should not be a problem in this application.

The indicators are much brighter now and easy to see, even in the daytime.

I was going to put LED's in there, but thought I would try upgrading the regular bulbs first. Cheaper and easier to get.

I also adjusted my steering wheel in/out and up/down again so that I think I can see the speedo, tach and signal lights now from my driving position. A larger steering wheel would help here and I may get a bigger one to help with low speed, non-assisted turning effort too. We'll see.......

I also discovered that the bright red clock does dim a bit when you turn the lights on. That is good to know, lol!
    Alden

20. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Alden 4W bulbs higher wattage bulbs can cause issues as it requires more of a current draw and your fuses may start popping

you would be surprised the heat damage that can incur also --be afraid be very afraid

if you want brighter go LED

think about the lights current draw on the whole system and now you doubled up on a smaller circuit

sorry my electronics engineering discipline is shouting at you!

21. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    I dont have foam on mine but its a cab????

22. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I believe cabs did not have partially closed bonnets, but entirely grill, which I like more. Not sure that they did this because of the smaller vents/engine bay.

23. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I posted a question about a week ago asking about LED replacements for the dash bulbs and got no response.

One of the problems is the cryptic markings on the original bulbs. I had to physically match them up at the auto parts store and hope I got the right bulbs.

It looks like the original was a 53, 1.4 W. I replaced them with 3893's, 4W.

I am looking for 3983 LED's right now, thanks.
    Alden

24. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    They are T5 bulbs I believe. I have replaced them all with new bulbs, but not by LED.

Just a minor comment on LED. (To many) LED on an old car can cause LED disruption or any electricity system. New cars have filters or other technology to absorb/prevent this. It will affect your ECU and radio and if it can handle such disruptions. Replacing only on the dash should not interfere IMHO.

2750k(elvin) is closets to warm white and you would need to have some that can dim else they might flicker turning the dim knob.

25. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I thought the T5's area a "wedge" bulb, the originals are a "bayonet" type, like a 53.

No ECU in my '88 and my stereo is behind the rear seats with the volume control located under my right foot. I think the flasher units can have trouble with the LED's voltage and some modern cars with lighting management computers leave enough current going thru the circuits for LED's to "glow" when the car is shut off.

I am only going to replace the turn signal indicator bulbs and maybe the supply bulb for the fiber optic lighting on the console. (Any idea what that bulb type is that supplies the fiber optics for the console?)

All the other lights are fine as is IMHO.
    Alden