Beeb article, convert Mondial to electric (?!) | FerrariChat

Beeb article, convert Mondial to electric (?!)

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by mulo rampante, May 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mulo rampante

mulo rampante Formula Junior

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    A slideshow on BBC Autos suggesting the Mondial, as well as a few other cars for electric conversion.

BBC - Autos - Vintage gas-guzzlers ripe for a battery-powered reboot

While I think conversion of some old cars to electric power would be a fun project, I really shudder at some of their suggestions for conversion.

Aside from the Mondial, they suggest the Lancia Montecarlo, and the Saab 96. A beautiful mid-engine car designed by Paolo Martin?! A three cylinder 2-stroke 96?! NOOOOoooooo!!!

2. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Talk about bad mouthing the Mondial. Woooooosh.

3. mulo rampante

mulo rampante Formula Junior

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    As in "the Mondial distinguished itself as neither reliable nor fast".

The Mondial's reliability is certainly on par with other Ferrari models of its era.

Fast? I assume they're referring to acceleration and not top speed. This is a grand tourer for use on public roads... it's fine in that application and handling is it's strength anyway.

The world of consumers and cars is full of mythology and short of objectivity.

The BBC article would have been better if it had showcased electric car conversions people have done themselves.

Meh.