Next Third Out Of Three Thirds Towards 15,000 Miles! | FerrariChat

Next Third Out Of Three Thirds Towards 15,000 Miles!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Rapalyea, May 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Two years ago I decided to buy a Ferrari just out of curiousity and Contessa Prugna Metallica was available to dance! Well. The first third out of three thirds was a a vigourous learning experience. Two notable things; 1) I scattered the clutch plate [$4,000 local job]; 2) the car got one hell of a lot faster and I wore out my first set of tires.

The second third I simply used the car as my daily driver. Only expense was a $450 NAPA starter. In keeping with this daily driver ethic I became a more consistent driver. Always warmed the car up between 2,000 and 3,000 rpms. Always shifted at 3,000 - 4000 rpms. But as always used full throttle many times every time I drive it but NOT routinely past 6,500 rpms! One clutch is enough.

Now I am going on 11,000 miles and I know what to do! Everything listed above plus just sporty car fun stuff. That means almost always shifting at light throttle at 5,000 rpms. Generally cruising near 4,000 rpms and goosing up to 6,000 rpms. No hell bent for leather tearing through in my tire shredding mountain curves - just a bit of tire scrubbing.

This seems to be what the car is made for. ESTHETICAL motoring! And it runs better and better. I do not think anyone does these cars any favors by driving them below 3,000 rpm. I am up to 4,000 rpms and its just the thing. Just driving off on my beer run at 4,000 rpm in fourth gear in my mountain roads? I think my Ferrari LIKES me!

2. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    NAPA=No Auto Parts Available.

3. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I'm always in favorite in puttting miles on old cars. It is a simple solution to keep it in shape. I think you hold the record for now on how many miles to put on a Mondi in 2 years. I did 10.000 miles on it.

4. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I respect people who buy our cars as collectibles or for concours and all that. I wanted to drive a Ferrari and now have done so to good effect. And so my original pupose has been met. And now its all 'gravy' so to speak! I am a bit surprised at the reliability of the vehicle. I broke the clutch early on but that was my own intemperance. The only other maintenance expense was the $450 starter.

I am a bit of worried that if I do not drive it a couple of times a week it might become upset with me! But there is little chance that will happen!