1982 mondial 8 | FerrariChat

1982 mondial 8

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by dicer82, May 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dicer82

dicer82 Rookie

Jul 17, 2014
    Hello all! Looking at acquiring my first ferrari, and it is a bit of a project. So I thought I would put a shout out and get some feedback so a newbie doesn't make a mistake.

49,182 is the mileage.

I know that recently it has had a clutch, it is in good running condition, and has newer rims and tires that are bigger but the original wheels are included. The interior needs a restoration. It does need a headliner, the dash has a sizable gash, the drivers seat has a rip, and unfortunately it was resprayed a darker red ( i am always worried when it comes to resprays as I have worked in an auto body shop and I have seem some horrors). Someone put on side skirts as well. The speedo does not work, the owner tells me they suspect a cable fault, and also there is a supposed list from a mechanic that inspected the car. The cooling system was done within a year, the hoses were flushed and replaced and at the same time a fuel line was replaced. Last know service of the timing belt is unknown. Also, as i expected the sunroof does not work, the owner recommended shocks (trying to find a source on these), not sure what else as that is the first phone call. Supposedly the only small spot of rust on the car is on the rear by the exhaust. I have been told that all the electrics work, and it is currently registered and inspected. already I have noticed other things like a new wiper switch is needed, some dings however I know that it is a project. So far the seller seems very upfront and has provided many photos for me, and I plan to look this weekend. I am mechanically inclined and am not afraid of tackling tough jobs. I have worked on a great deal of cars but never on a Ferrari. Thoughts? Any ideas on what you all might value a car like this in some rough shape?

2. dicer82

dicer82 Rookie

Jul 17, 2014
    Ferrari Photos by dicer82 | Photobucket

Photos! The owner has a car fax for it, supposedly in march 2013 fuel system done by an official ferrari service (JN auto), and in may of 13 "was the hoses and or belts."

3. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    #3 123howie, May 27, 2015
    Last edited: May 27, 2015
    Not to be too personal but what is the price range? I see the photos now that you posted, I do not want to burst your dream, but I hope its very low on price.

4. dicer82

dicer82 Rookie

Jul 17, 2014
    They are asking 15 and to me for the shape, not being color correct, and for work needed, it is high, but then again i am not a ferrari expert.

5. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Yes I would also say that's high and I am only seeing the cosmetic issues, I think with time you could do way better. this looks like a real beater, even for Craig's List. You might buy it and then wish you never did.

6. dicer82

dicer82 Rookie

Jul 17, 2014
    Thank you for the advice, just seeing some posts about the mondials going up in value, what could you find in that range?

7. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    It is priced bottom of the market. Maybe the owner is being more negative than reality? :D Go look at it and plan on parts prices that are more expensive than a Porsche 911 turbo. Everything is fixable, it is just how much time you have and how much money you have to put into it. If there were full proper services in 2013 then maybe you can drive it while you work on it.

The side skirts are covering a common rust area on these cars. These cars had little to know rust protection until 1985 I believe. Look very hard for rust issues. A respray could have been used to fill holes with bondo and paint. Being from a body shop you'll likely know better than I what to look for.

I think it's always worth looking at. Depends on what you want.

8. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #8 soucorp, May 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I don't understand how people can just let a nice car sit outside in the elements, get rusted, interiors go to chit... I have cars older than this that are in better condition.
    Please properly garage and cover your car, let alone a Ferrari. Sorry, off my soap box now.

This one is not bad, but doesn't look like owner cared for it so price would reflect that. Be prepared to put in at least $10k plus to sort it out correctly. It needs a new roof lining among other things missing...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    If this car were being given away for free, it still will be overpriced! Even if doing all the work it needs by yourself, it will be a never ending project. Why is there rust inside the car? Was this car flooded and or salvaged? Based on the photos and the sellers description, the to do list is quite extensive. I'd be more concerned about the stuff that can't readily be seen.

Should you choose to go for it anyway, keep in mind that at the end of the day, it will forever be a Mondial 8, which to many enthusiasts is not as highly prized as the QV, 3.2, or t models. Don't get me wrong, an 8 in great shape is awesome, but if given the choice, and condition is the same, most would choose a newer Mondial.

Far better to wait and search for a better car that doesn't need a full restoration, like this one seems to need. You can find a newer Mondial for just $10k more than this one that is ready to run, and with a far better baseline condition to start with.

But hey, nothing wrong with checking it out in person, regardless. You'll acquire some valuable experience and knowledge the more cars you go to check out in person.

10. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    A couple of thoughts

1. If you are a DIYer, and enjoy wrenching on cars, this could be a great project, especially as it's already running. These are mechanically fairly simple. My 27yo son and I enjoy working on the car (I have an 85QV with 65K miles). Parts are readily available - for the most part. Many parts (injectors, fuel injection system, etc.) are shared with other period cars (Mercedes, Volvos, etc).

2. It looks like the engine bay needs lots of TLC. I'd be prepared to change all hoses and lines (especially gas), filters, etc. Mine sprang a leak recently. Given the proximity of the gas tanks and lines to the engine headers (front bank), it's something to take very seriously.

3. You will need to do at least a belt service as soon as you get it. If you are a DIYer, plan on about $1200 in parts (readily available from places like Ricambi).

4. Within the past month, a disassembled Mondial (engine out, engine in pieces) went for $8K on Ebay. Given that, $15K doesn't seem bad. Just keep in mind that it will cost you more to bring it up to spec (don't skip the Belt service). I'd still try to get the price down even more.

5. Even if you buy a perfect condition car, keep in mind that these are 30+ year old cars. Don't compare them to new cars. There will always be something that breaks and needs fixing.

6. This forum is a great place for information and help. There are lots of super helpful, and super knowledgeable people on here. If you have issues, problems, or questions, chance are really good that someone on here has seen it, done it, fixed it before - and more importantly - is willing to help you figure it out.

Even though it's a Mondial 8, which lots of people claim is the least desirable Mondial, keep in mind that it is a Ferrari. It's a blast to drive. It's instantly recognizable (even by non-gearheads) as a Ferrari and recognized as something special.

As for me, there's just an almost indescribable feeling (good) when I'm sitting behind the wheel, and the engine is screaming past 6000 RPM. Whenever I'm having a bad day, I take her out for a ride. Instant mood boost.

Sid

11. dicer82

dicer82 Rookie

Jul 17, 2014
    Thank you all for replying. I think at this point i do not think i am going to go look. I am in Hawaii and it is on another island.

12. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    #12 FCnew, May 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #13 soucorp, May 27, 2015
    Last edited: May 27, 2015
  14. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

What a sad sight. Dust and debris all over the places.

A $200 detail job will probably bring in an extra $5k.

15. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    These 2 CHAPs would buy it and restore it !
    Its probably worth saving IMHO.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtvcJRq2dhM&list=PLdmypcSq_0pMsrhSO2tBen9WmPBtz555-[/ame]

16. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Hey dicer its definately worth a look it explains alot that this car is in Hawaii hence the "corrosion" - it runs thats a big plus ....everything else takes time

I go to the Big Island all the time and it costs at least $1500 to ship a car from the states to there, I think inter-island transfer is around $500 so theres a savings

17. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Shame to see cars left to rot like that. Somebody needs to save that thing.

18. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    If this was local to North Texas, and the price was in the 10-12K range, I'd give it considerable thought.

Would make a great restoration project for when I retire in the future (getting closer all the time).

Mondial 8's may never bring big bucks in the future, and the restoration cost might be more than the value of the restored car, but I think it would be a fun project - especially since most of the work can be done by either me or my son. Gotta have something to do in retirement - other than sit in the rocker all day.

Sid

19. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
  20. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    Love the induction tube. I would be a serious buyer on this beater at about 6 k I say that only because I already own a M8 that was in a lot better condition than this particular one we speak of. I have 12 k on the engine as and another 14 k in the paint and body. Not done restoring it yet but why stop now. I could have should have bought a way better example for what I have spent to date. This would be an excellent parts car for me. In my opinion do not buy it for more than 6 k. At 6 k you can part it out and make double. It looks rough real rough the engine looks badly neglected a true Ferrari owner takes care and pride in the work of art at which they drive. A neglected one such as this will only drain your pockets as parts are very expensive and my guess is you will need many parts. The dash the seats to recover in original Ferrari leather figure over 3 k if you DYI that's not including door panels dash headliner etc. $$$$$$&&&$$$$$$. Lots of it with this one. Steer clear find a better example fast before these are all that's left.

21. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

Take heed. Who would know better than Mondial83 ?

22. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    Lol that's right I have learned the hard way and the expensive way. I did save a beater from death tho. And it is a blast go drive

23. dicer82

dicer82 Rookie

Jul 17, 2014
    The seller just contacted me the other day and informed that she will be lowering the price. $7500. She says she received a lot of dreamers and joy riders, and "silly" phone calls.

24. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller

grab it! If it was stateside I would be all over it.

If you later dont want it I will grab it from you (depending on shipping to California)

25. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    It is worth more than that in parts. However breaking a car is a royal pain. If you want a taste I say go look. I don't know your level of desire to tear into the car but for that price you have room. And if it's solid enough, maybe it's just a fair weather beater for now. Stay on the mechanicals and enjoy.

I heard someone once got the advice to call the wreckers and ask what they would pay for a running parts car. The fellow made that offer, purchased a 328 that was a bit rough, but he was driving it hard and having a ball and still keeping it serviced and running good. The cost to make this car perfect will make you cry.

You can offer 6K? I like the sound of that. Heck, you are getting to the price of a similar vintage fiat or alfa. Then you'll have a Ferrari in the garage.