Mondial Door Locks | FerrariChat

Mondial Door Locks

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by MauroV, May 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    Hello, I need to replace both of the door lock cylinders on my 1983 Mondial QV. I've managed to find some used door locks but it seems that new ones are not available, apart from NOS at outrageous prices.

Obviously, the early Mondial door handles look similar to Alfa Spider and Fiat 124 door handles, although they are not identical on the inside. But does anyone know if the door lock cylinders from the Alfa or the Fiat would fit my Mondial?

Many thanks

Mauro

2. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Welcome Mauro!
    Actually they are the same as the Alfa Spiders so they cylinder should fit. Not sure if the Alfa dealer still has them. You could ask if they have one lying around to see if it fits.

3. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    What are the used ones you found?

4. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    The used ones are from a 1983 Mondial so they should fit but I'd rather fit new ones and avoid getting into the same situation a bit further down the road.

5. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    But if the price is right I would go with them, and then with more time hunt down some new ones? Or is that getting too pricey?

6. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    The used Mondial lock cylinders cost about £150 while there is a brand new set of Alfa spider ones on ebay for about £50. So if the Alfa ones fit it looks like the best plan. But if they don't fit then...

7. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    So, eventually I took a chance and bought a new set of Alfa Spider door lock cylinders. And they fit. No problem. The key has the Alfa cloverleaf emblem but that seems a small price to pay for new door lock barrels that work. Especially since Mondial ones are no longer made. Anyway, its not a problem, the Alfa ones fit!

8. Rover1551

Rover1551 Karting

Aug 12, 2015
    Tampa, Fla.
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Take them to an "old timer" locksmith and he should be able to rekey them.

9. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Can you post the part number if you have it? Will be helpful for searches in the future. Good stuff.

10. MauroV

MauroV Karting

Jun 24, 2013
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Mauro
    Sure. I got them from Classic Alfa (Classicalfa) in Croydon, London UK. They were excellent and shipped the items immediately to Italy.

Part Number CH036/1 for the set, CH036 for a single lock.