Mondial Cabriolet B-Pillar Moulding | FerrariChat

Mondial Cabriolet B-Pillar Moulding

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by BartonWorkman, Jun 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    We have a very nice 1985 Mondial Cabriolet but the rubber moulding on the B-pillar is
    looking pretty second hand, some cracking and some falling off completely.

Checking with Ricambi and the local Ferrari dealer, it seems Ferrari is no longer producing
    these parts which they call Mondial Cab B-Pillar Moulding part #61720400.

Short of having our paint and body man fabricate a replacement part, thought I'd check
    with our Ferrari Chat friends to see if any such parts may be available first.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

BHW

2. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Thanks, very enlightening.

Hopefully, will be able to find some available replacements.

BHW

3. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    But I believe everything happens for a reason...

I actually just got back from my sheet metal fabricator and picked up a dozen left and right internal sheet metal pieces and have identified a tooling company and material that seems to have the right set of properties that are needed, toughness, flexibility, UV Resistance, environmental capabilities, etc.....

Early next week I will be meeting again with my tooling vendor to release the order for the tooling and I hope to have pre-production prototype parts that will be direct replacements.

I have been working on this, on and off for the past few months and I believe I will be able to offer replacement parts that will appear to be OEM while being better from a durability standpoint.

I don't know where the price per pair will end up. My approach is to do this right.

Well there you have it..... The cat is officially out of the bag.

- Ron Frohock

4. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Ron, the cat is out of the bag now, because it's the right time.

I wish you all the best, in bringing this challenging project to fruition. You are one of the few that can make this happen.

Cheers,

Hank

5. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I've been working on this for a while. I have tried a number of different approaches but had not found a process that would provide parts that I would consider to be acceptable.

I'm confident that I now have found the right process, materials and tooling.

I can't wait till I get the first pair off tool.

- Ron

6. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    When will someone make available a replacement window switch for a QV? If the moulding is a little messed up it's not the same as having the window down and it won't get up.

7. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Fred - I think you just brought up a subject that qualifies as a new, and equally important thread.

Cheers,

Hank

8. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Ron:

I need a set. Let me know. My major service is 6 months away, so if they are availsble by then. I'll buy.

Art

9. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Is to get the first set off tool for evaluation. I'm hoping that they will be acceptable so I can push the button on production.

About ten weeks ago, I was fortunate enough to to purchase what might have been the last drivers side OEM part in existence - and I paid dearly for it. I had purchased a passenger side OEM part about a year ealier. I have been using these virgan parts as masters for making the molds and also for evaluation of the rubber material. I also have a number of old, used and failed parts that I have deconstructed for the purpose of reverse engineering and I believe I have made slight changes to the internal metal component that will help the new ones that I will offer to be more robust.

I know there will be great interest in these parts and everyone is interested in knowing the cost. I will address this when I am confident that the next batch of tooling and material evaluation is approved.

Thanks
    Ron Frohock

10. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

If it is ~$1k for the pair, it might be a worthwhile future proof investment.
    When and if you ever need to sell the car, the spare parts will make the deal so much easier, and sweeter.

11. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen

Ron
    My driver side will need replacing let me know!

Im slowly rebuilding and upgrading my car with your products!

12. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Thanks for the information. Will stay tuned to this thread for
    updates and availability.

Several sites report having the B-pillar moulding in their inventory
    but saying they have them and actually having them available for sale
    are two different things!

BHW

13. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    A right side molding is available on eBay right now for $650.00, which is a really good deal.
    I purchased a right side molding about two months ago for about two hundred dollars more.

The left side is near impossible to find at any cost. I found what I believe to be the last one available from a place in France and paid nearly $1100.00 for it. Ricambi told me that they haven't had a left side for over two years. I searched eBay Worldwide and made dozens of calls to places all over the world that had them listed only to find out that they were actually not in stock, no longer available. I was extremely lucky to find the one that I did.

The good news is that I have been using my new old stock pieces for tooling and believe that my parts will be nearly identical.

14. SCousineau

SCousineau Guest

Jul 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    S Cousineau
    I will be looking for a set also!

15. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Ron, I'm pulling for you. I too have a new right one, but the left. The left! Go Ron!

16. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I wish I still had my car just to buy a new set of those. That was a frustrating aesthetic problem. Great job Ron.

Can't wait to see a picture of the final product.

17. roofguy

roofguy Karting

Dec 10, 2003
    Alamo, CA
    Hello, I have a "B Pillar" that is brand new still in the package. Part #67120400.

Bought for a 1989t as a spare. Sold the car and now I don't need it.

Hit me up at [email protected] and we can talk.

18. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hi - - I touched base with your email address.

Hank

19. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

They are getting more rare by the minute. They might be better investment than money in the bank.

20. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I went to the shop yesterday and saw the first part off tool.
    We're getting short shots. Because the material is so thick, we're having a hard time trying to fill the mold completely.
    The prototype shop that is doing this is run by a guy that has fifty years in the business. To say he is competent is an understatement. He was the only person willing to take this challenge on.
    With his help, we made some modifications to the metal component that is part of the molding assembly that will ensure that the rubber will encapsulate the metal which in turn will produce a more robust part.
    I am confident that we I'll nail this and I will be able to offer better than original parts.
    Having said this, if someone has the opportunity you purchase the part listed above, I would recommend it.
    Another update soon.
    Ron Frohock

21. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    By the way, 61720400 is the left side pillar.
    This left side is rarer than hens teeth. You can find 61720300 which is the right side occasionally for a hefty sum but left side pillars are simply never offered.
    I searched diligently for one for many months and found one over seas and paid a ridiculous amount for it.

22. Stef65

Stef65 Karting

Apr 28, 2015
    reg Antwerp Belgium
    Full Name:
    Stef
    #23 Stef65, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I do have the left one available (also the right one)
    Not sure how to dismantle correctly, and the state of it. I hope the picture is clear.
    250€ and it is yours + shipping but have no experiance with shipping to the US or UK.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Wow... what is this sad sight.

24. Stef65

Stef65 Karting

Apr 28, 2015
    reg Antwerp Belgium
    Full Name:
    Stef
    indeed sad, but not mine. This car is stored at a car dump near Brussels.