Car in for Classiche Ferrari Certification | FerrariChat

Car in for Classiche Ferrari Certification

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by paulchua, Jun 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Folks,

I've dropped off my car Monday at Silicon Valley Ferrari for official Classiche Ferrari Certification. A person that is very familiar with the process from Beverly Hills Ferrari was in town to certify a 308, so it was the perfect time to get it done since it would be a quick turnaround for me.

The Mondial, as well as other new models are all on the base tier pricing as far as I can tell. The older the car, the more expensive the certification prices I saw were pretty jaw dropping so the prices (15K-20K)for the other models.

It's about $2,300 which I don't really think you'll get back for resale. But since I don't plan selling the car, it's all about my own enjoyment of having the nice report and history from the factory.

Let me know if anybody has any questions, I expect the process to be completed by this Friday.

2. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Paul I was just looking into what exactly this process means as I was looking at a 328 for sale that has been Classiche Certified. Are they basically checking the car for originality?

3. floridadoorman

floridadoorman Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Paul...am very interested in any and all details you are willing to share since we have the same year vehicle and I have been on the fence in having this done for mine....Thank you! Alex

4. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    At that price I hope they are not done in 20 minutes.

5. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
  6. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
  7. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #8 soucorp, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Jay, did you ever get your Certificate & Classiche badge from Maranello ?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    So basically the guy comes in and takes a bunch of pictures and sends it off to Italy....we wait and Italy comes back and says we need you to verify X,Y,and Z....

The guy verifies or takes pictures of X,Y, and Z and back to Italy it goes!

Repeat until Italy is happy...and then I *think* they try to get as much information about your car as possible from a records keeping standpoint from the factory (like the build sheet) - I'm hoping they throw in some other goodies (I'll take whatever they got) - they put it in a premium binder and a certificate/badge that says the car is legit!

I think that's it...

Btw, another reason I wanted to do this was I wanted to establish a 'relationship' with my local dealer...I plan on going to Italy next year and this was my ticket to get an 'owners only' factory tour.

Bam!

10. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Thanks Paul. I think regardless of how much it does or doesn't raise the value of the car it is a really neat thing to have to go with one's Ferrari.

11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    wholeheartedly agree!

12. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If that was me asking my wife for $2300 so I can get a Certificate, she would smack me upside the head ! Yes, nice to have if you can get it without going to divorce court. :)

13. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    It was done by the previous owner in 2008.

I thought it was really cool, and that it documented the car as to exactly what it was in 2008.
    This gives me a great baseline.

However, as for adding value, I didn't pay any premium for my car. In fact, the cert wasn't even part of the purchase decision. I considered it to be just a cool extra benefit.

Sid

14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Rob,

From what I can tell they only check the 'originality' of major parts so:

Definitely the engine, the chassis, the seats, the instruments...

I have an aftermarket steering wheel, top, and gear knob, so I'm hoping that doesn't disqualify it!! as being non-original

I'll let you guys know how it goes!

15. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Very cool idea, Paul. My congratulations!

The previous owner of my Mondial also had it certified. I'm on excellent terms with him, so please let me know if you have any doubts! Also, I live some 15min away from Ferrari in Lisbon, so I'll be more than happy to drop them a visit. I'm always looking for an excuse to go there and drool in their showroom!

Kind regards and best of luck!

Nuno.

16. braq

braq Karting

Mar 29, 2010
    Hill Island
    Full Name:
    Paul XXXcX
    I am stunned, that is a serious percentage of (at least mine) the car's value for a paper slip. I am afraid that will fall into the same category of amazement as the diva of all timing belts for the communities of non-F-Car vintage car owners to portray us here ;-)
    Better not let the word out on any further than absolutely necessary on how much they are able to get for this.

Cheers

Braq

17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    haha!

I agree...it's definitely a huge amount of money...but the way I see it - I plan to keep this car as long as my health and fortune allows..this is one thing to give to my daughter that hopefully appreciates it one day as much as I do.

:)

One Mondial - $27K
    One Classiche Cert - $2,300
    Getting to go to Maranello and have a VIP owners factory tour? (only open to owners that have a relationship with a dealer) - Priceless....

18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Nuno! Just call the dealer and have it setup!! I'm sure they will accommodate you my friend!

19. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Mikey - - that's a cute way of saying that you and your wife are in tune with realistic family financial priorities.

I would guess that divorce court, would not ever be a part of your life's history.

Belated Happy Father's Day, my friend .........

Hankster

20. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Paul, mine is in for the same at Continental Motor Sports in Chicago.
    I figured since it is in for the major why not have this done.
    It has take quite a while though so be patient with the Italian folks...
    Cheers,
    Greg

21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #22 paulchua, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    attaboy!!

I just picked her up today...they said so far they didn't see any red flags..they even said it was more 'original' in parts then the 308 that was also there to get certified.

Now the next step is to wait for Italy to comeback with either a request for more pictures or give the thumbs up.

On the way home I remember talking to some folks at the local Ferrari club about owners that cringe at the prospect of putting miles on their Ferrari. I liken it to opening up that 30 year old bottle of scotch and taking like a few sips each month. I like to have at least 2-3 drams myself!!! No way am I taking a teaspoon of scotch and putting it away back in the cabinet!!

So far I've put 5,000 miles on her since purchase...Poor reliability? Meh....It's been running good!

I'm driving the hell out of it just like God and Enzo intended..no garage queen here!

Cheers Greg!

22. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

Cheers !

23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    so got a call from the dealer..

Just need to install original steering wheel (I got a used one for $300 off ebay) and the original exhaust.

I'm going to ask around for an exhaust, let me know if anybody wants to sell theirs let me lease it for 1 month...

haha

24. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Paul,
    Mine was submitted to the factory a month ago and I am awaiting the books.
    No changes needed thankfully.
    Cheers,
    Greg