Mondial 3.2 Repairs/Service | FerrariChat

Mondial 3.2 Repairs/Service

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by drbruno, Jun 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    Hi All,

The search continues for a Mondial Cabriolet. Saw a car that has been sitting for some time (driven 500 miles per year for the last 2 years), so I would assume that it needs the works. Some questions:

Can anyone give a ballpark estimate for service/repairs on the following:
    1. Major service - belts, seals, water pump
    2. Clutch replacement
    3. A/C recharge
    4. Odds and ends

The A/C, Fan and Defrost push button switches are jammed (they cannot be depressed). Any thoughts on this? Will these likely need replacement?

Lastly, gas door doesn't release with internal button...have to release from the inside of the engine compartment.

Thanks Again

2. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I am a new Mondial owner and did a lot of research before I bought mine.

You can see that my join date was 2010 and I just bought mine a month ago. I read almost every thread on this forum in that time.

That being said, I am sure more knowledgeable folks will chime in here with more exact figures, but I was always advised to budget about $15-20K to get a non-runner going in reliable form.

Your short list could easily expand to 20 items when a good F Tech gets into the job. Especially item 4 - "Odds and ends." That could cost $10K on its own.

There is a reason it has been sitting for so long and getting a truthful answer to the "why" of that condition is usually elusive when you are talking to a seller.

If you really want to know exactly what a Mondial is going to cost you, buy the best one you can afford, that has been serviced and driven by a caring owner.

Just my .02.
    Alden

3. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hi Doctor,

While reading your post, my temperature went to 104 - my stomach started to feel queazy and my vision started to get fuzzy.

My .02, "move along folks, there's nothing to see here".

Keep on the trail for the good ones. It's actually quite fun, and you'll continue to learn valuable stuff.

Cheers & good luck,

Hank

4. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

For non-dealer service...

if you are in the west,
    http://www.***************/

if you are in the east,
    Luxury European Imports | Fully Reconditioned Cars, SUVs and Trucks | On-Site Service & Repair | Sam's Garage Inc

5. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
  6. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Who are you referring to?

H

7. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Daytona in Woodbridge, Ontario, Canada

8. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    Man! Is my dream bubble burst.

9. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    #9 FCnew, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    Well... which model you are looking at?

The service costs are quite different between the Mondial t and the Mondial 3.2; they might look similar on the outside, but they are very different cars, and they have totally different engines.

For some of the items, the service cost for a Mondial t will probably run 50+% more than a 3.2 (eg. major service). For other items, eg. the A/C, the cost is probably the same. For the clutch, it might even be cheaper on the "t" because you can access it from the back.

For odds and ends, if you can't or don't want to do it yourself, then the Mondial is not for you (especially the 3.2 and prior). Because these are old cars, the odds and ends can eat you alive.

10. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hi FCnew,

Must respectfully disagree with your "50+% more than a a 3.2 (eg. major service)". All things being equal, an engine out major for a T (with water pump), is about $1,500 more than a major with w/pump for a 3.2.

"Other stuff" changes the cost, regardless of whether it's a T or a 3.2 (or earlier).

Cheers,

Hank

11. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    Did you get my PM?

12. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hi Doc,

Will touch base tomorrow. Iss OK ??:)

Cheers, Hank

13. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    Thanks Hank. Appreciate it. My email is [email protected] if you would rather email me directly. Have a good night.

14. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    For a Mondial 3.2 the services inquired about - depending upon the "odds & ends" - would likely be in the range of $3,500 - $6,000. Surprised no one has just quoted an estimate, or is that against some rule?

15. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    I agree with Hank, probably should move along and look for another car. Service history is so important. I've had my 3.2 majors done for close to $6K while most "t' majors were close to $9K for me, and that's been consistent with all the ones I've had and had serviced. This is one of the reasons I am holding on to my 3.2, not much wrong happens with them.

16. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen

Ill start off ..THIS IS FOR A 3.2 .....oops ill stay on subject....

what you are not expressing is price condition color and mileage so that we can help guide you as if the price is right then these items are already factored

1) major about $5500 with your items
    2 clutch $2500 why do you think an issue?
    3) a/c R12 $150
    4) odds and ends no cost you do them just kidding !

my mechanic is Eugenio same as Hanks!

can send you receipts if you want to look

a/c switches jammed humm probably had something spilled and are sticking or mis-alighned under the console ...they work by one toggles the other press one down the other goes up, and are vacuum operated ...kinda one unit assembly that is expensive

my gas cap was finicky at first but needed lube and cleaning

my 3.2 history bought 2 years ago mid 20s had 39K miles been driven 10K miles in over past 15 years so it had been sitting , last service 15 yrs ago but did have documentation
    test drive felt wonderful and no major leaks anywhere
    front window switches worked although windows slow, top was ripped , included aftermarket rims, toolbox and manual and a Ferrari flag! , no leather cover for manual no original rims---I spent ~$7K to do major and top ,,,,

Unfortunately I lusted for my Red as I was previously jilted by Cali emissions giving me heartburn about Wades Middle Eastern beauty ....and bought iRED even though some of my same friends here gave me a maybe on it and said wait ....and then 2 months later Stephane sold his T coupe for dirt cause he lusted for another car oh what a nice coupe...I digress again

fyi all switches need cleaning to get them working properly $5 can of electrical spray from radio shack and toggling about 50 times

However it does sound like there are some issues and this can start to spiral with costs if you have a mechanic do them all........me I like getting a little dirty and always call my mechanic for advice

so we really need more data to help you ......Hank is there as well the rest of us

17. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    My 86 3.2 had been sitting for awhile before I bought it although it was in running condition and the previous owner had given it the best of what it needed while he was using it but it sat at the resto. shop where it was for sale for quite awhile. I had the car gone through including a belt service and everything the car needed was done and it cost me close to 4k. Hope this helps just keep in mind every car may be different.