MotoMike's Mondial goes for a Major | FerrariChat

MotoMike's Mondial goes for a Major

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by motomike8, Jun 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. motomike8

motomike8 Karting

Jan 7, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Well it's big day around here. 109 deg outside means driving season is over. I've owned the car for only 6 months but feel like I've been living on borrowed time since the last belt service was in 2004.

So today the car went in to one of our reputable local independents for "the works." Work won't begin for a couple of weeks but I wanted to get the car to him before the holiday weekend. I'll be traveling most of July and out of town so I won't have lots of cool pics for you guys but I'll keep you posted on the saga.

In addition to the fluids and belts we'll be going after some minor oil leaks and getting the AC back in working order. We're also pulling the aftermarket CATs and putting in test pipes since emissions testing is no longer an issue. Should be cool. Stay tuned.

2. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Who do you have working on your car?

Cheers,

Hank

3. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Hi MM, PM sent.

4. motomike8

motomike8 Karting

Jan 7, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Alex Traverso is doing the work. He is highly recommended by several folks in town and has been referenced on Fchat on occasion as well.

5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Awesome!!! Keep us posted!

6. motomike8

motomike8 Karting

Jan 7, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #6 motomike8, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Went to check on the car this week. Everything is progressing nicely and should have it back next week. Thought you guys would appreciate some pics of the motor ready to go back in.

Still have to pull the cats off and install the test pipes. Also, we pulled the bell housing and found out clutch needs to be rebuilt - throw out bearing is shot and there is a crack on the flywheel.

BTW - the belts were 10 years old and had 10k miles on them. We were just in the nick of time as one of the tensioner shoulders was loose and was doing damage to the belt. There was some visible notching in it....

Will be nice to have everything fully sorted out.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Great work...trust me...I've been there - the smile on your face will be so wide...you're going to have to watch out for insects!!!

keep up the great work!

8. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Very nice. I'm next.

9. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Very Nifty!

10. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    Awesome! I know whose shop that is. You are in the best of hands. :)

11. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Did you swap out the cats?
    My shop convinced me to roto rooter the cats, removing all of the insides and keep the housing so that the oxygen and temp sensors stay in tact and it looks stock.
    Cheers,
    Greg

12. ozmondy

ozmondy Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2013
    N.T, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Just had mine out for several issues but it is a major task
    Good luck hope all goes well for the pair of you.
    Peter

13. ozmondy

ozmondy Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2013
    N.T, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #13 ozmondy, Aug 10, 2015
  14. motomike8

motomike8 Karting

Jan 7, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    yes, the CATS are coming out since I don't have to pass emissions because it's registered / insured as a collector car. The pipes I'm putting in already have the O2 sensor ports on them. The shop is welding on fittings to reinstall the thermocouples as well. I don't know that these will ever get to the warning temp now that there is nothing inside - but I guess better to be safe than sorry.

I'll post pics when it's done. MIKE

15. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

As a good steward of the environment, shouldn't you leave the cat on? It is not a big penalty to performance other than a slight restriction.

16. onefastman

onefastman Karting

Jul 15, 2011
    STL
    I would be more worried about Hillary or Trump flying their near-empty 757's around long before I would ever consider the few thousand annual miles driven by a catless Mondial T...

Perhaps we should worry about my neighbor driving his 8 liter Bentley blower as well :)

17. ozmondy

ozmondy Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2013
    N.T, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Probably worse emissions than that jet you mention Hillary using
    Good point

18. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Mike,

Don't destroy, sell or toss your old cats. You would curse the day that you did, if you ever decided to sell your car to ................ hello - - - try, someone in California !!!!!

Cheers,

Hank

19. motomike8

motomike8 Karting

Jan 7, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hank - excellent point. However, they aren't the stock/OEM ones. They are aftermarket and by the looks of them maybe toast. The really odd thing is that the car passed Smog in CA before I bought it, but then would not pass here in AZ. Upon further investigation I found out that in CA they only do an idle test - and since it's at any station you chose, chances are if you slip the guy an extra $20 you are going to pass. Here in AZ, you have to go to a State run facility and there is no wiggle room. Also, because of the age of the car they run it up to 45MPH on rollers. The car never had a chance...

So I will hang onto the old ones - but I'm not sure they'll be of use to anyone.

20. motomike8

motomike8 Karting

Jan 7, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Well I was very excited to pick the car up yesterday. Everything was in order and car was running great. With the new clutch it pulls like a champ. Also, ice cold AC for the first time - very cool...

Then on the way home I stopped to get gas. About a 1/4 mile out from the station, something went wrong. Lost power and seems like running on 4 cyl. Limped it home the last mile - but looks like it's headed back for the shop.

Definitely some sort of electrical issue. When you put on the turn signal the radio turns off and on. I know that's not supposed to happen.

Really frustrating. Trying to be patient...

21. ChicagoFerrari

ChicagoFerrari Karting

Dec 19, 2013
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I had that issue with it feeling like it was running on 4 cylinders after having the major done as well. Turns out it was.One of the ECU's were bad and had to be replaced, was running on one bank of cylinders. Been perfect since. But If I recall it was about $2k to replace...

22. motomike8

motomike8 Karting

Jan 7, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    OK - so the latest issue has been sorted out and I got the car back today. The rubber around the fuel pumps had completed disintegrated, jammed one of the fuel pumps and it shorted out. Result is two new fuel pumps and cleaned out tank.

Car runs great on the freeway and pulls like a champ. New clutch is awesome. AC nice and cold.

Only, I still have an issue. At slow speeds around the car is misfiring above 5k RPM. Runs great right up to there, maybe 5500 - then some breaking up depending on which gear you are in and how hard the car is pulling. Feels electrical. Has anyone seen this issue before - any suggestions?

Mechanic thinks maybe the fans coming on is pulling too much juice and there is an issue at the fuse panel. However, he just went through the panel sorted it all out and even swapped out a couple of others to make sure everything was working.

Ready to pull out what's left of my hair...

23. motomike8

motomike8 Karting

Jan 7, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #23 motomike8, Sep 3, 2015
  24. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Unfortunately, due to age and ethanol, that's a common problem. And one that affects most Ferraris from the late 80s to mid 90s.

That black rubber sleeve? It's NLA, which is why yours has been MacGyvered, and rightly so (see orange "components" in the last photo).

25. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

probably some of the gunk got to your injectors, causing the hesitation/misfire you are experiencing?