Rheostat below dash and light on panel? | FerrariChat

Rheostat below dash and light on panel?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Alden, Jul 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #1 Alden, Jul 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The fun never ends with my new Mondial!

While searching for my front hood release I found this rheostat below and to the left of the steering wheel.

When I rotate it all the way, a red indicator briefly lights up on the lower left portion of the dash panel below the fog light switch. This location is listed in the owner's manual as "available for switch."

I think it may be some kind of stealth radar detector installed by the PO. If that is true, it seems like it still may work OK.

I have not had a chance to take it out on the road and test it yet. I will let you know when I do and if it still works.

Anyone have any other ideas on what this could be?
    Alden
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #2 soucorp, Jul 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    My car has the same red light for alarm in the same place, but no Rheostat like yours. I think its an aftermarket Rheostat that the PO installed on your car might be for motion sensitivity alarm device.

3. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Then I might have to keep looking for the actual alarm "arming" switch.
    Alden

4. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Bumping this for anyone who missed it the first time.

I think it is a remote radar detector due to the audio "squawk" it makes for a second or so when I turn the rheostat all the way up, but I need to take it out with my plug in detector installed and find a cop who is "taking pictures" as we used to say on the CB radio back in the stone age.

I will let you know what happens.
    Alden

5. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Turns out it is a hidden radar detector, probably installed in the late 80's or early 90's.

Only picks up K and Ka as far as I can tell, but there are not a lot of cops in my area so I will have to wait to find out for sure.

Picks up the automatic door opener microwaves at Wally World very well though!
    Alden

6. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    When it "squawks", does the red light go on? That would be a sign of a radar detector install.

As to hidden, I recently found one in my wife's vehicle after 4 years of ownership! Found a little remote marked "calibre". Sure enough, it toggled on and off a detector with front and rear antennae that had been off. She doesn't use it, and on long trips, I take the V1 with remote. But for around town, I guess it is Ok.

A prior owner of my car did have a K40 installed, didn't measure up very well against the much newer V1. He did have a nice on/off switch, but I removed all that and now run V1 with the remote in the ashtray.

Regards,
    Jerry

7. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Yes, it does squawk when the red light goes on, unless you turn the rheostat all the way, then you only get the red light. This must be the "audio mute" mode.

I have not done an extensive search for the sensor(s) yet. Probably mounted somewhere in or near the front grill I would think. Rear? I don't know about that. In the late 80's we were happy to know what was in front of us, I don't think rear sensing detectors came along until later.

But I will look and report what I find.

This car is just so cool, it never ends, lol!
    Alden

8. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #8 Alden, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017