Anyone move from a 308 to a Mondial? | FerrariChat

Anyone move from a 308 to a Mondial?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by rdefabri, Jul 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I own a 1984 Ferrari 308, and I absolutely love it. A great car, very deserving of the appreciation curve it's on in my opinion.

One major issue is that I have a wife and 2 daughters. My kids like to ride in the car, but we can never do it together. On top of that, the aforementioned appreciation curve makes me nervous...what if I damage the car? What if some moron does something to it?

Not that big of a deal, but in the back of my mind, it looms. I've always been fascinated with Mondials, particularly the 3.2 versions.

Anyone ever sell a 308 for a Mondial, or own both cars? I'm curious the thoughts on the differences. I realize that driving a Mondial is going to be a different experience, but I've heard plenty of good things about them.

Any comments - pro or con - are appreciated!

2. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Not exactly what you are looking for

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/460351-real-reason-i-have-mondial.html

despite what you may have heard ....for the common driver the handling and power is the same as the two seater 3x8s.....besides how crazy you gonna drive with your kids in the car?

however your life will dimensionally expand as your family time has increased with every drive

Con: your 308 will sit cause you drive the Mondi more!

Happy Fourth!

3. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    The Mondial is a great daily driver to own. I have had mine two years and going on 11,000 miles and I can't keep out of it! Never once towed in off the street. And the 3.2 is way faster then a 308 (two valve?). Handling is probably a bit more docile because of the longer wheel base but I will soon need my third set of tires anyway. I live in the N. Georgia mountains and there are only about five miles of straight roads within two counties. It is next to impossible to avoid 40-50 mph curves one after the other and it is next to impossible for me not to drive them under 4,000 rpms.

The Mondial interior has many advantages. First and foremost in my mind is LOTS of head room. I can wear my cowboy hat. Second, and this is appropriate to your question, it has very large parcel shelves behind the front seats cleverly designed to look like passenger seats.

How old are your children? Are they much larger then miniature poodles? Can they cross their legs while sitting on the floor? Do not buy a Mondial until you drug your children into semi-unconsciousness then use crow bars and rubber mallets to see if they will fit. Seriously. At least for the coupe.

If you can fit them in the back without a visit from Child Services then you are good to go! The Mondial is otherwise the cat's meow. Fast Elegance in Motion!

4. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    The back seat in a Coupe isn't bad for kids. I actually put my 27YO back there during test drives. In my 85 Coupe, the back seats don't fold down (I think they do in the CV), and I think pre-teens would fit just fine.

Sid

5. 308mon

308mon Karting

Oct 5, 2014
    UK
    To me the Mondial has very similar handling characteristics to the 308 (here I'm comparing a '78 2V 308GTS to an '88 4V 3.2 Mondial - although in my mind nothing beats the sound of the earlier carb cars compared to the later injected ones). The Mondial gives a more spacious interior feeling than the 308, although as mentioned the rear "seats" are glorified parcel shelves neatly trimmed in leather. You may be able to accommodate a little more rear leg (foot?) room on the passenger side with the pax seat a wee bit further forward than you could comfortably have with the driver seat.

I do find the Mondial is more unforgiving than the 308 if you fit other than standard width tires and wheels, especially when turning at slow speed (due to the lack of power steering).

Both the 308 and Mondial are enjoyable to drive and I have always felt they both give some warning when you mis-behave and push the handling limits (compared to the 512 which will try to kill you without a waggle warning first!)

6. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I don't have any kids and thus entirely defer to actual experience. One thing about having no kids is that no matter what else I do. Whatever else I drive. Whatever political stand I take on anything at all I am just about as GREEN as any Prius-Priapic Patriarch from the Sierra Club! Entire absolution from any and all Green nonsense. I don't do the following thing but can fantasize, I suppose. A Sierra Club guy in his pedal car approaches my Ferrari regarding CO2. And I say "OH YEAH? How about THIS!" Then I drop my pants and show him the vasectomy scar!

Echos of the movie Jaws where Quint and the young guy are comparing shark bites. Then Quint closes down the conversation. "This one was from the Indianapolis sinking in WW2. Fought off sharks for a week. Most of us died. But before that we delivered the bomb."

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The guy who recently bought my 3.2 Coupe did exactly what you're asking; sold his long-term 308 then flew down for my Mondial. Him and his wife then drove it 1000 miles home to northeastern PA.

You may know Dennis (decardona) already.

8. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Kids are not infants, but we aren't big (I'm 5'6", my wife 5'2").

Definitely looking for a cabriolet, not the coupe. Without question a late model 3.2 - what sort of price range might I be looking at?

9. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    My first F Car, 92T, it rides so smooth, I guess cause of the long wheelbase? No kids but lots of room for folding chairs for the car shows.

10. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I keep forgetting... every time someone says that they're looking for a Mondial it always means a Cab. ;)

11. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    WADE I LOVED YOUR COUPE!

12. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    lots of threads on this expect 3.2s starting over $25K+ (needing work) ....to upwards!

13. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Yes, in a way. But it took some time, lol.

I went to the Ferrari dealer in Atlanta in 2000 specifically to buy a 308 they had on the showroom floor. I was finally going to get "my Ferrari."

When actually climbed in the car, I realized that it was way too small for me!

I am 6'4", 200 and the steering wheel was touching my knees, no way I could drive it.

So now, 15 years later, I have a Mondial 3.2 Cabriolet.

Plenty of head and legroom, and usable luggage space too!
    Alden

14. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Thanks Don, so do I.

It's like sending your child off to college, sweet sorrows, and wishing that they could have stayed instead.

15. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Had a Gt/4 and still my Mondial. Biggest reason i kept the Mondial was its roomier still, and better for longer drives.
    The Mondial will work well for you.

16. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    #16 Cadillacbart, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Let's see your 308. Might be up for a trade;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #17 rdefabri, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I used to own a 328 (pre being a dad), got priced out of getting back into one and landed a late 88 3.2 cab last year.....and so glad I did. What makes the whole experience of ownership now is taking the kids out (6 and 3). Sure, a faster run on my own is more exhilarating, but the journeys with the boys on board are truly magical.

Would be a tough decision to lose a 308, but I suspect the thrill and enjoyment from both kids coming along in what is a fabulous Ferrari will outweigh that loss.

19. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Great looking. Love the 308.

20. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I'm just kicking around the idea - nothing decided of course. My 308 is amazing, I do love it!!

21. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    The change from my 308 to the Mondial was dramatic. I had a 1977 308. Very raw and an excellent driving experience. The sounds of the carbs and the handling of a go kart is something I found very exhilarating. The Mondial I purchased from Wade was a much more civilized car. It drives better, it's more comfortable, it's roomier, it's a Euro version so the horsepower is higher ( about 30 more than the non cat 308). Although I didn't need 4 seats, they have already come in handy. Overall, if the driving experience is what you want, stick with the 308. If you want a better experience driving, I would highly recommend the Mondial. I wanted a coupe although it seems most prefer the cab. If you do make the change try both if you aren't leaning one way or the other. If you are in the area, I will be at the Morristown C&C tomorrow. I would enjoy talking about this further.

22. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    Your child is doing well at its new school! Knowing how hard it was for you to part with it makes me that much more thankful you decided to allow me to be its newest caretaker. I will do all I can to keep her happy! I'm hoping you are taking more time with the 348. My wife loved it and has the bug for one. Maybe one day.

23. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    A comparable mileage & condition Mondial should be at least $5,000 cheaper, so there's your maintenance budget for the 1st 3 years. I have a coupe & wouldn't trade it straight up for a soft top. It's waaaaaaay more usable in daily driving, I believe.

24. lince

lince Karting

Sep 26, 2006
    With the pricing on the mondials i wouldn't sell a 308 to buy the Mondial i would keep it and buy a mondial, i have 3.2 that i bought to take my daughter as the other cars where 2 seaters and she loved the idea of going out with me on my cars, she loves the. Car and I'm happy. With the appreciation of the 308 you can tell your wife another car is an investment

25. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #25 godabitibi, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    Like other said they are very different cars. I still have my 308 and sold the Mondial. I had the two cars for different use. My 3.2 cab was for the open top fun. I liked the Mondial a lot and would buy another one anytime if I could. Would I sell the 308 for a Mondial? No way! Keep the 308 and buy a Mondial.

Now that I don't have mine anymore I think the Mondial are worth buying and KEEPING them. I sold mine to buy the Testarossa, if I would have known the future I would have kept the Mondial and buy the Testarossa.