MONDIAL T FAN SPEED ISSUE!! | FerrariChat

MONDIAL T FAN SPEED ISSUE!!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by jimmi, Jul 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimmi

jimmi Rookie

Jul 13, 2015
    Hi all,

ive got an 89" Mondial T with a fan speed fault.
    Max Speed is the only speed that works. The fan speed control switch transistor was faulty, i had it fixed and i only have max speed now.

Is there anything in this AC system that switchs and controls fan speed(cabin)

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

Jimmi

2. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    #2 porphy, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
    The power transistor in the "T" is in the central dash air vent. It is the source of the ability to have intermediate fan speeds. It is pop riveted in place. Remove the central vent grill put you hand in on the right-hand side and you will feel the heat sink mount for it. The transistor is mounted on the underside of the heat sink.

There are many threads about this on F-chat. If you replaced the transistor with the same power rating, it is possible you already blew it out because the original was woefully underpowered. Search here for the supplier and the power rating you need. Good luck.

PS In another thread Mulo Rampante cites the following transistors as better replacements: 2N3772 (20A max collector current), 2N5301 (30A max collector current), 2N5686 (50A max collector current)

3. jimmi

jimmi Rookie

Jul 13, 2015
    Thanks for the info porphy.
    Will i have to reomve the dash board to get the this power transistor.

Cheers

Jimmi

4. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Probably not. Take off the central vent and feel for the heat sink of the power transistor on the inside of the central vent on the right-hand side. The problem is to get the pop rivets out so you can move the heat sink and the transistor enough outside to work on the transistor and replace it. You can unplug the connector so that when you get the mounting pop rivets out you can pull it out of the vent. You need to get in there and look.

5. jimmi

jimmi Rookie

Jul 13, 2015
    Cheers will do and ill let you know how i go.

Thanks

Jimmi

6. jimmi

jimmi Rookie

Jul 13, 2015
    Hey There, it seems as if the fuse is blown (62) which is on the fan speed ecu (61).
    where is this located?

Kind Regards

Jimmi

7. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    It could be but your symptoms are classic for the transistor. If you do have a fuse problem I can't tell what fuse you are talking about from your post. If it what I think, the fuse is on the switch mechanism and you will need to remove the fan speed switch to find it. It requires a tiny allan wrench to remove the knob.