Oil temp question on Mondial QV | FerrariChat

Oil temp question on Mondial QV

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Nounoon, Jul 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nounoon

Nounoon Rookie

Sep 26, 2014
    Dubai UAE
    Full Name:
    Olivier Bachelier
    #1 Nounoon, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    Hello everyone,

I just got a Mondial QV from 1983 that has completely been restored engine-wise, and I just spent a fantastic week driving it for over 1000km. However, I would like to know if my Oil temp readings seam normal, considering the Oil radiator and joints are brand new.

- When I drove the car for about 3h on small roads, in a sporty way, the Oil temp was mainly kept between 100 and 120° (Celcius).
    - When keeping the car on the highway at around 150kph, the temperature stays around 120°
    - At a steady speed of 220/240kph, the Oil temp goes in less than 10 minutes up to 140° which is the maximum on the dial. When it reaches that temperature, I slow to cool it down. This is the temperature that I am worried about.
    - However, when stuck in trafic in 35°, the car keeps its temperature at around 100°.

I have one additional question:
    When the engine is hot, the starter motor doesn't even try to start the car. Anyone has this issue, is this some kind of protection?

Anyway, this car is a thrill, it's absolutely awesome. I have a 1st gen Boxster as a daily car, but in terms of fun it seams that it is on another planet. It is so much less entertaining that, I am thinking about selling it, as I keep comparing it to the wonderful Mondial.

Thank you in advance for your insights regarding oil temperature.

Nounoon

Edit: Small walk around the beast idling https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fEnMVclrfc

2. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Not sure about your oil temp but -

You need to install the WR1 hot start bypass relay kit by Bosch, it is available on Ebay and Amazon.

VW Bug Ghia Type 3 Porsche Bosch Hard Start Relay Kit Bosch WR1 | eBay

Installation info here:
    http://www.ferrari348manual.com/t16-bosch-wr-1-hard-start-relay-fitting
    and here:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/494652-starter-relay-instructions.html

A search will turn up more info on this inexpensive, simple, and essential modification.
    Alden

3. Nounoon

Nounoon Rookie

Sep 26, 2014
    Dubai UAE
    Full Name:
    Olivier Bachelier
    Thank you very much Alden, I am definetely buying and installing that!

4. 308mon

308mon Karting

Oct 5, 2014
    UK
    High oil temp readings at high speed may be due to various factors in your instance. Did you have the engine re-built (new pistons, etc. as "tightness" of the engine components may be causing higher oil temps)? Also the oil spec may contribute?

Sounds as if the oil cooler fan on your vehicle is working (most have never "kicked in" and tend to seize up over the years due to lack of operation) as the temp looks good in traffic.

5. Nounoon

Nounoon Rookie

Sep 26, 2014
    Dubai UAE
    Full Name:
    Olivier Bachelier
    Hello 308mon,

Yes the engine has been re-built and thank you for the info, I didn't this this new "tightness" could heat up the engine. As for the oil it is Shell Helix HX7 10W40.

I agree that the traffic temperature seamed reassuring, but I wanted to make sure it was nothing out of the ordinary as I am not used to driving old Ferraris yet.

Thank you for your responses.

6. 308mon

308mon Karting

Oct 5, 2014
    UK
    As for "driving old Ferrari's" - you ain't seen nothing yet as the song goes.

Enjoy!

PS: I was young once, driving young Ferrari's - now I'm old, driving old Ferrari's

7. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Nounoon-
    Read through this thread:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/494675-mondial-do-yourself-thread.html

You will find the "hot start" problem/fix and a lot of other info on problems/fixes with our Mondials.

This thread is new, so info is being updated to it almost daily. Check back frequently to learn more about the quirks of your Mondial and how to live with them or fix them, lol!

FWIW, I joined this forum a full 5 years before buying my first Ferrari. I am pretty sure I have read every relevant and also some very irrelevant, but informative, posts about Mondials in particular and Ferraris in genereral.

If you have the time, I would recommend you try to read as much as possible here.

If you don't have the time, then be prepared to spend some serious money getting your Mondi sorted. The folks on this forum are a great resource for keeping our "old Ferraris" on the road without having to take out a home equity loan every time our cars hiccup.

I am a Regional Coordinator for Jaguarforums.com. We do the same thing on that forum for Jag owners - try to keep the old ones on the road while keeping the cost and "ghost chasing," or throwing money at a problem, to a minimum.

For example - I doubt your local, non F Car mechanic would know about the "hot start" issue with your car. He would probably start by replacing your starter for $600+ only to find out that the issue still exists. A $25 relay set cures it and the knowledge to to that is here.

Sometimes the fix is not so simple or cheap, but at least you have the power of hundreds of owners to help you.
    Alden

8. 308mon

308mon Karting

Oct 5, 2014
    UK
    I wonder if the slightly different API spec designation between the Shell oil (SN/CF) and say the original AGIP SINT 2000 (SL/CF) has any bearing* on the oil temp at sustained higher speeds?

Any oil experts around?

*No pun intended !

9. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    No real effect at speed, I believe stock calls for 5w-40. If you are running 10w-40, hot is the same. Designations don't affect heat as much as longevity of use of the oil to perform and engine protection.

IMHO you are not getting enough air to cool the oil. It should not see 140C on highway pulls, I assume that is cruising, so you are not even under load. It might see that kind of temp at race track duty.

The oil cooler could be clogged internally, have debris externally or if it has a separate thermostat (don't know about your car), it is stuck in the closed position. The fact that it cools off when you slow down indicates the fan is not the issue.

Regards,
    Jerry

10. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    The Mondial QV doesn't have an oil cooler fan.

11. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    #11 afterburner, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Nounoon congrats for your car. What was the outside air temperature during that drive at the car's top speed (235km/h according the homologation documentation, and coherent with the engine's stated max. power output / Cd values). By the way, the owner's manual states that if you experience high oil temperature, you should slow down :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. ozmondy

ozmondy Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2013
    N.T, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I didn't think the earlier models had the oil rad fan.
    3.2 onwards wasn't it.

13. 308mon

308mon Karting

Oct 5, 2014
    UK
    #13 308mon, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    As far as I recall the Mondial 8 did not have an oil cooler fan, the QV and on were fitted with a fan (well the couple of QV's I have come across in the past had them installed, may be market specific?).

14. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    #14 afterburner, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The QV didn't have a fan originally, the Cabriolets had one. The Cab has a different firewall/engine bonnet cutline due to the different packaging requirements for the rear seats and hood stowage. Also the aerodynamics are different between the hood-up cab and the coupe. So the bonnet design (layout of louvres and solid sections) had been adjusted. The side intake hidden section is different two. Overall, the natural-flow cooling of the Cab is inferior to the Coupe's. So an oil rad fan was needed.

15. 308mon

308mon Karting

Oct 5, 2014
    UK
    Thanks for that. I reckon the couple of coupe's I saw must have had a fan retro-fitted, although not too sure why as I have yet to see one where the fan has "kicked in" in our climate (possible exception being the cab version as you mention above re the airflow differences - but my cab experience is low).