ABS pump sounds | FerrariChat

ABS pump sounds

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by milko1969, Aug 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. milko1969

milko1969 Formula 3

Feb 21, 2012
    Breda, Holland
    Full Name:
    Milko
    When I turn the ignition normally the pump makes a light sound, but now makes a lot of noise.
    Als the ABS warning lights light up at the dashboard, however after 2-3 minutes the sound stops, and the lights go out.
    I think the pressure in the system is being depresurred, thats the reason of the warning ligths.
    Is somebody known with this kind of problem?, I hope not have to switch the whole system.

thanks for your input!

2. JimboMondial

JimboMondial Karting

Dec 26, 2005
    Portsmouth UK
    Full Name:
    Jim
    When I first start my car after leaving it for a week I do have the warning light and the pump runs but the warning light and pump switch off after 10 15 seconds. But after that I don't here the pump running when restarting for the rest of the day.

Jim

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

3. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I was told when I first bought the car, by the mechanic, when the car has sat for some time it is best to turn the key to the on position, let the pump do its thing and then start the car when the pump stops and the light goes out.
    I don't know if this helps anything, but it is advise that I have always followed.

I also have the brake fluid flushed every year prior to putting the car away for the winter.

4. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    2 - 3 minutes is too long, there might be a leak somewhere. The pump should not make a lot of noise. Is it a mechanical noise, or more like noise of escaping air? The ABS system is a Teves Mark II which is delivered on many cars in that period.

5. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
  6. milko1969

milko1969 Formula 3

Feb 21, 2012
    Breda, Holland
    Full Name:
    Milko
    At this moment the light won't go of and I almost have no brak assistance. than after a while the brake assistance comes back, but after two times of braking the pedal is very hard and the car almost doesn,t stop. to me its a little bit dangerous to drive this way.

7. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I'm not familiar with ABS, but I think there is a plug where you can hook it up to the computer to read it out. Most workshops should be able to read it out. Or perhaps Guus can do it.

For the moment I am not getting with you in the Mondi! ;) let's take mine! :D

8. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    What happens if you simply disconnect the electrics from the ABS? I suspect there may be a fail safe of some sort. ABS is the single most over hyped improvement in all of automotive history. How many people even know it increases stopping distance on ice by 25%?

I bought my first ABS car while living in god forsaken ChicagoLand. As always I tested my brakes on a slow ice covered downhill in the neighborhood. It was like I had NO brakes!. From time to time I simply unplugged the connector in such conditions and the brakes simply functioned as normal, but without the ABS. The reason normal brakes work better is they scrape up a wedge in front of the sliding tire and that helps grind to a stop.

As for the vaunted 'ability to steer'? Steer on glare ice? Anyway I live where this is not a problem. ABS are good on wet roads, and perhaps a little bit better on dry roads. But hard packed snow and ice? Deadly. They will never ever tell you that.

9. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    most likely its your relay or accumulator accumulator gone bad

quick test
    Accumulator Testing Instructions - Reatta Owners Journal

you can do lots of searches on hard brake in 308/328 and 348 section

there is a bosch pn on the side of the accumulator , google that to buy one

10. milko1969

milko1969 Formula 3

Feb 21, 2012
    Breda, Holland
    Full Name:
    Milko
    Hello tijn, we already tested all the electrics, but, you can't plug it in anyware.
    It seems the pump (which makes a lot off noise) or the pressure valve is worn out!

11. milko1969

milko1969 Formula 3

Feb 21, 2012
    Breda, Holland
    Full Name:
    Milko
    We also did switch accumulators (Alfa 156 selesspeed) but it didn,t help at all!

12. milko1969

milko1969 Formula 3

Feb 21, 2012
    Breda, Holland
    Full Name:
    Milko
    Hello

We found a thick and stickey substance in all of the brake lines and fluid containers...
    very strange white substance which seems clog up the ABS pump.
    My brake fluid has been refreshed for three years ago, so we don,t no how this is possible.
    We are now cleaning all the lines and containers, putting back the right fluid in and hope the problem will besolved soon, is there anyone who has had the same problems in the past? It looks like somebody has mixed up two different kind of Dot fluids???

13. milko1969

milko1969 Formula 3

Feb 21, 2012
    Breda, Holland
    Full Name:
    Milko
    #13 milko1969, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    Yes!

My 3.2 is already breaking like it should do normally, the whole system is flushed, incl. its ABS pump and all brake lines. So watch and refresh your brake fluid in time, and clean out the whole reservoir from time to time!
    I am already happy and driving her this week (when the rain stops).

14. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Sweet! step the lady on her tail before the winter steps in! Dot4 I assume? :)

White brake fluid is usually a sign of water contamination. You could keep some old fluid in a jar and if the milky color fades away it is definitely water. You actually want to know, because then you would need to flush again to prevent rust forming in the break lines.

15. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    On these systems the readout is done by flash patterns on the ABS light. The readout is enabled by placing a fuse in an empty fuseholder in the ABS fuse block.

16. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    This sounds like first gen ABS where it was a kind of add-on to a normal braking system. The Teves MKII system is a second-gen integrated system and is very good. If you were to unplug it though, the brakes would soon stop working completely once pressure in the accumulator runs out.

17. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    I am glad it's solved! I guess it was not a mixture of different dot fluids but should be something else.

18. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Most knowledgeable individuals recommend a brake fluid flush every year or two years at the most.
    Alden