Responses needed !! | FerrariChat

Responses needed !!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 300GW/RO, Aug 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack

OK, '90 Mondial T Spyder 20k miles, fresh (as we speak) engine out, two new rear tires, all books w/pouch/tools w/case/cover/jack Nart blue/cuio price please????
    Thanks,
    Jack

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Only new tires on the rear? Makes an enthusiast say hmm... with a question mark. But a speculator wouldn't care i.e. gotta maximize profit.

By the way, your question is O/T since this is a thread about t Coupes.

3. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    #3 2cam, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
    This may be a good point of reference for you - http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/497215-1989-mondial-t-convertible-russo-steele-monterey.html .

True! :) I hesitated to even post my response given that fact. I do have a dog in this fight as I'm actively looking for the perfect car. However, I believe that many here that are stating that certain cars are worth X% more than any supportable, documentable, comparable sale probably have a dog in the fight as well. Perhaps they're even more invested as they would like to see their cars take off in value like the other 70/80s V8 cars have done. Nothing wrong with that at all, but I think it's important to take that into consideration when prices are being tossed about that aren't really supportable by the market.

2cam

4. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack

Trying to do my ""DD" on perhaps my next "DD".....I am an enthusiast entering the Mondial arena with limited SPECIFIC knowledge. Have always thought of the Mondial Spyder as a cool 'about town car and as these things happen, an example has become available close to me that has all the "boxes checked". Simply DO NOT want to get caught-up in the V-8 'madness' and thought to seek input from guys that have Mondial experience. Not looking to ruffle feathers.......

From link the '89 is very similar to my car of interest..... the '89 does not designate as "T", yet pics show a longitudinal engine position with assume Transverse tranny position....so what/when/how does the "T" impact the car. Is this the final, best of line, the T? Why should I seek out a T spyder vs. any other Mondial spyder?

I really appreciate the insights & collective knowledge, thank you in advance.

Jack

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The markets for Mondials are pretty diverse, as are the cars themselves.

Seek info on the various models here within the Mondial Forum (extensive amount of info using the search function). Or... inquire by starting a thread of your own. ;)

6. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    This is not a good reference... you are talking about "different" cars.

Deliveries of North American market specs cars:
    Mondial T (42 coupés, 379 cabriolets)

If you just want a Mondial t, then there are plenty to choose from.
    If you want a Mondial t *coupe*, then there are only a limited supply.

Which one is better? Which one is better for you? Only you know.

YMMV

7. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Hi Jonathan,

Sorry for the confusion. I wasn't comparing the Monterey auction Cabriolet to a Coupe, but to the Cabrio that Jack was asking for guidance on. The Monterey Cab and the one that Jack was asking about sound to be quite similar...

Perhaps Wade is right - we should limit this thread to discussions on T Coupes. :)

Cheers,

2cam

8. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Of course! Just kidding with you. I think Mondials will eventually go up quite a bit. 3x8 engines cars with traditional gate shifters, classic iconic design with sharp edges from the "pre- rounded everything" era, etc. but that's all in the future. For now they're still cheap. For my part, I'm still looking out for the perfect 456 or maybe 612 to round out my dream garage, so I'm petty convinced both of those should continue to depreciate until the day after I buy one. :)

9. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    It is hard to determine the market for the t coupe because there are so few of them. A sale of just a couple can skew the market either way.

Value is determined in the marketplace. If you need to sell today, you have to live in todays market. If there are few buyers, then prices do not go up. If there more buyers than sellers, of course the opposite is true.

I think we would agree that no matter what todays market price is, absent another recession, or a war, the Mondial t market price is not headed lower.

Regards,
    Jerry

10. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    The way this market currently is this could be a six figure car in 6 months.

11. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Really? If you truly believe that, is there a reason that you're not buying this car? A 300% return in 6 months would be pretty nice! ;)

2cam

12. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    2cam, surprised you have not pulled the trigger on Helm's car. That car is $25k ahead of this car in terms of applied parts and labor including a fresh motor, fresh paint, sorted tranny bearing, and sorted electricals. At $45K it's only $10K ahead in price. Helms says it's the most sorted T coupe in the country and most here would agree.

The Houston car has not had a major in 4 years, has a non-stock bodged A/C compressor (which makes one wonder whether the rest of the car has had the right care from the right people), and at least some of the photos are 4 years old.

The Vancouver car has had a major mechanical but is not a T (which I for one consider to be a good thing) and the engine bay looks scary. I gather the abs is not working either. Colors not to everyone's taste, opposite end of the spectrum from resale red. That car is at $40K ask with ebay bids stalled out at $25K.

Perhaps all of them are $5K ahead of the market? An Fchatter sold a black QV coupe out in KY not too long ago, really nice looking car, his ask was $35K but I think he sold it for around $30K.

13. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    How many owners has it had. Does it have all the service records back to day one? If not how far back do the records go? Is it ALL original? If not has it had any body work done to it is it accident free?

14. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    The key word in my post is COULD. I learned my lesson in the dot-com days fool me once...

15. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    realistic ask would be in low $40k's with a sale price somewhere north of $35k, $38k would be the sweet zone IMO as someone who has been looking/watching prices for the last 6-8 months.

16. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    This is what differentiates the T from earlier models:

Transverse gearbox / lower engine position / lower center of gravity / better cornering / less drag
    Power assist steering
    Push button adjustable suspension
    Increased horsepower from an F1 inspired engine / updated Bosch fuel injection
    Updated body styling / smaller "cheese grater" / no fender flares
    Updated interior / seats / steering wheel / dash / tunnel
    Detachable subframe for easier engine removal
    Dry sump lubrication
    Leather tool case
    Spare tire replaced with inflator in a can
    Passive restraint system ("mice") / leather knee bolsters (on later T's)
    3-point rear seatbelt harnesses (on later T's)
    ABS brakes
    Monolithic headlights

17. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    I made Neil a full price offer on that Houston T Coupe and had no response. In the meantime a little looking turned up some worrying posts regarding the car, at least the A/C system. Fortunately offer expired. Seems Neil is Scottish. Italian cars and Scottish blood don't go well together.

18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    sort of a back handed complement...but here it is:

Ferrari 456: The Next Big Thing | Classic and Performance Car

"The Ferraris that have always offered the cheapest entry points, like the 308GTB, Testarossa and even the truly unloved Mondial to an extent, are all looking a lot more pricey recently, with the best examples making significant amounts of money at auction and through dealers."

19. NeilS

NeilS Rookie

Dec 22, 2011
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Neil Shannon
    Russ,
    I'm not sure I understand your comment. I just saw your previous offer and I apologize for my delayed response. I appreciate your offer but unfortunately I cannot take guns as part of the payment for the car. Thanks.

20. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    IIRC all mondials have detachable rear sub frame for engine removal

21. Boat Captain

Boat Captain Rookie

Aug 1, 2008
    Am curious, is this car currently or potentially for sale?

22. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Guns???? Now THAT's awesome! Hey Russ, I didn't realize you were a Texan... ;)

2cam

23. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Honestly, that's what led me away from Neil's car. At a certain price point, it would just make more sense to purchase Dave's car.

2cam

24. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah I offfered him $30 in cash and $5 in guns ... in my world that's an entry level double rifle, an English sidelock shotgun, or a couple of nice custom bolt rifles. So it's not like it's a truckload of guns. Anyway he ignored me until the window on the offer expired, apparently he was "out of town". In a way I was relieved because I did some sniffing around and I don't think this car has had much money spent on it in its lifetime and with the miles it's probably time to pay the piper. Besides red is not my favorite color. Would prefer black/black and also I think I prefer a 3.2 or even a qv.

25. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    #25 Russ Gould, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    "Driver side headlight motor works intermittently, oil temp and pressure gauges not working. AC works great but currently has a leak in hose at the hi-side fitting. Interior is good overall - small hole in drivers side bolster was patched and sealed with crack filler but has not been resprayed - will include the dye. Exterior body and paint show normal wear for age i.e. - minor dings, scratches and rock chips." Houston car on eBay .. none of this mentioned in Fchat classifieds ... my hunch about deferred mtce was on the money. Yes these are relatively "small things" but I have seen cases where the seller admits to a few "small things" that are rather obvious anyway, and stays mum on some big problems that are not as apparent. Who drives an F car with a non-working oil pressure gauge? Maybe someone who doesn't like what the gauge is telling him?