Bumper change from black | FerrariChat

Bumper change from black

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by petrolheadjeff, Aug 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. petrolheadjeff

petrolheadjeff Karting

Apr 16, 2015
    London/Kent
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hi all, there are a few Mods I want to do on my car. High on the list is a bumper change. This does modernise the car so much.

How do I go about getting all the parts I need for the conversion? A kit would be massively helpful but I've not found anything like this so I expect there isn't one

Is there anyone on here that has done this and managed to get all the parts? What would I need to budget. Any ideas?

Help with this would be appreciated. At lest I might get a parts list together but perhaps it's not financially viable at which point I'll drop the idea.

Jeff

2. deeprivergarage

deeprivergarage Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 3, 2009
    S of Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Jeff

I have never seen a full bumper set up for sale for the later 3.2 Mondials, nor have I seen an after-market kit to update the bumpers. There may be one but not that I have found. I would guess it would be in the $1000's if you find a set for sale.

I had a 3.2 rear bumper only, but I let it go with my 3.0 QV when I sold it.

The quickest, easiest, least expensive way to update the 3.0 QV bumpers is to paint them the same color as the body. That was the way mine was when I bought it. I liked it a lot, and thought it blended the bumpers with the body much better than the black bumpers.

Look at my garage page and you can see a little of how it looks with painted bumpers.

Best regards,
    Jerry

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #3 Wade, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    This question (bumper change to the later version) comes up every so often. The problem is that the fog light assemblies are no longer available. If you can find them, the costs are vey high... usually over a $1000 apiece. Just ask anyone who's trying to replace their cracked lenses. :(

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/476292-updating-84-85-mondial-f-r-bumpers.html

And, unfortunately, the fog lights between the Mondial and the 328 are not interchangeable.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/392637-328-mondial-t-32-front-light-same-ts.html

4. Leighton360

Leighton360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    South Wales UK
    This is just my personal opinion . ..

Do not try turning the car into something that its not as you will only devalue it . The purists want cars that are totally original , and these original cars will always demand the highest prices ..

5. Indyjones

Indyjones Karting

Jan 28, 2009
    Pacific NW
    Fully agree. Leave it as it is...each model has it's own charm, it'd be a shame to take that away.

6. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Paint the QV bumpers

Then if you want to go back its a simple tape and rattle can spray to go back to original!

btw a molested car is harder to sell just read all the comments on here!

7. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #7 hank sound, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    Totally agree with Don. The rattle can is the way to "have your cake and eat it too". And If you don't like the results, you just go to the bathroom.

I know, that was a totally food related metaphor :):)

Cheers,

Hank

8. deeprivergarage

deeprivergarage Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 3, 2009
    S of Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    FWIW

Ferrari 84

I agree with the above. Updated bumpers may make you feel better, but really doesn't do much for the car.

Jerry

9. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I had an 80's car that had black bumpers, not Ferrari. I have a lot of nostalgia for that look. These cars are getting too old to update, they are what they are and the black bumper cars do look classic.

If you think you'll be happier with modifications I say go for it. The cheapest way to update your car from black bumpers to the 3.2 style might be to sell your car and buy a 3.2.

10. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

+1

11. Indyjones

Indyjones Karting

Jan 28, 2009
    Pacific NW
    Those wheels...:eek:

12. bencollins

bencollins Karting

May 30, 2015
    Whaplode, Lincs, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben Collins
    just to be a bit contrary, it is possible to make changes to the car if you keep the old bumpers. You can even sell it on to the next owner who will probably just want to know if the change can be reversed. Finding lights might be trickier. You never know though, sometimes these things turn up on an obscure Italian or French van and Bob's your uncle.
    But agree with above posters, paint them or swap to a 3.2
    Anyhoo.......... your car, your call.

13. bencollins

bencollins Karting

May 30, 2015
    Whaplode, Lincs, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben Collins
    Ah also to say the black bumpers look great IMO and as said above "of their time". For that model year. I think its great how the Mondial had 4 distinct evolutions all with own charm and the stylists/engineering team did a great job to keep moving things on. Maybe you just need to learn to love them/tune in to the beauty.

14. tangcla

tangcla Rookie

Feb 23, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Tang
    I'd be keen to see some photos of the black bumpers that have been painted to be colour-coded body colour.

15. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    My car Kato has red bumpers with the raised strip left black.
    I can't post pics as I'm away on holiday but if you check out some of the threads started by me you will see Kato in all his Red bumpered glory :)

16. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
  17. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    Personally, I like the black bumpers of the Mondial 8 and QVs.

The fact that I have an 85 might have something to do with it!!!

But on a serious note, I like the way the black bumpers offer a contrast to the body. I think it makes the body's curves a little more accented.

My bumpers need painting, but they will stay original color.

Sid

18. tangcla

tangcla Rookie

Feb 23, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Tang
    What material is the black bumper - is it fibreglass?

19. ozmondy

ozmondy Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2013
    N.T, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #19 ozmondy, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Bell mine too have been painted and I like the look as well
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Milkyboy

Milkyboy Karting

Jun 23, 2015
    Now I've never been a fan of the 8/QV black buttress and bumpers. I can see why some think there's a retro appeal, and its all personal taste, but it just doesn't do it for me.

I have to say, that in my opinion Kato looks great, the bumper strip and keeping the gills black gives just enough period dating and really shows off the lines of the car. Kato wins from the side, but I prefer the 3.2 from the front with the more prominent grill/integrated lights. If pininfarina had made bell bloke's design tweaks and given the qv a beefy 512bb style black grill they'd have nailed it for me.

But then maybe there's a reason i don't design cars for a living!

21. petrolheadjeff

petrolheadjeff Karting

Apr 16, 2015
    London/Kent
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hi and thanks for your input. I think for now I'll leave my bumpers alone although Kato does look good sporting the painted black bumpers I must admit.

Jeff

22. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Perhaps call EuroSpares and ask for Claudio or email him [email protected] if you still have it in your thoughts. this one just got in.. it is around the corner for you :)

Breaking Ferrari Mondial 3.2QV for spares | Order Online Eurospares

23. Leighton360

Leighton360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    South Wales UK
    I have not spoken to any paint shops yet , but have you got to use any special type of paint to spray on the QV bumpers as they seem to be coated in a rubber type material ..
    I want to give my bumpers a fresh coat of black ..

24. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    You will need to use a plastic primer first and then the paint shop can mix a formula (not sure what it is called) to the paint so that the paint stays flexible. You do not want to use without the formula else the paint scatters off if the bumper is bent. Metallic does not need to formula, however the clear coating does. Your paint shop should know and they can fill-up your rattle can to start spraying :) Best is to take of one of the sides to take it with you to the shop so they can advise you.