Getting a Key Made | FerrariChat

Getting a Key Made

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by drbruno, Aug 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    Hey Gang,

Can a second, spare key be made for a Mondial t? If so, what is the process?

Thanks,

Bruno

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Go to a good locksmith and ask - Alfa type blank - multiple threads - it gets more complex if you need a genuine Ferrari key

3. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hi Bruno,

Like greyboxer said, take your original keys to a full fledged professional lock and key shop. Tho old pros have blanks laying around that would never be found in a Home Depot key department. That's what I did so as to create duplicate key set # 3 for Rachel.

Cheers,

Hank

4. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Just to add to this Chaps.
    I copy the keys and use the copies only.
    The original keys stay at home and are used as patterns.
    You cannot make copy keys from copies they almost never work.
    Regards Bell :)

5. robogeeks

robogeeks Karting

Sep 15, 2012
    #5 robogeeks, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A couple of year ago we decided to get new keys made so we had spares, and so we could keep the originals safely stored. We found the blanks at KeyBlankSales.com Web's LARGEST Wholesale and Retail Key Blank and Key Machine SuperStore - Home, they are the Fiat F91C8 for the door, and Fiat FT46 for the ignition, both from ilco. They were cheap enough that we ordered several of each blank, just in case. Our local professional locksmith shop was able to make copies using those blanks. I just checked the website and they still have them in stock.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Home Depot here has a key laser cutting machine. They make perfect copies from copies. My old locksmith cannot match it by using his cutting machine.

Board member Westyguy had at one time the folding ignition key blanks with little horsey's on them.......

Regards,
    Jerry

7. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Laser cut keys?! Wow I've never seen that before!
    I will see if anyone does this in the UK, cheers :)

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

9. robogeeks

robogeeks Karting

Sep 15, 2012
    I agree that making a copy of a copy doesn't always work, but a good professional locksmith should be able to make it work. I didn't have to do it for the Mondial because we had the original key and the copies worked perfectly, but I have had to do it before, and a good locksmith can visually compare the key you're copying to the copy and manually make small adjustments with a file if necessary until it works perfectly, so they should be able to make a copy of a copy work. Of course if you have the original keys this shouldn't be a problem.

The laser cutting machines are the best, state of the art, but some of them need the original key to sit flat in the machine to scan it, so the original with the black plastic top may not work.

My recommendation is that you buy several blanks, and make three copies, one to use all the time, a spare, and a just in case set, then put the originals away in a safe place with the just in case set.

10. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Can I ask what model Mondial you have? I need to get some spares for an 83 QV. Do the 308 blanks work for the Mondial as well? I would assume so but maybe not?

11. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Our t came with one set of original keys (folding ignition.) I foolishly walked into a Ferrari dealer and asked for two more sets of door and ignition keys. They handed them to me with a bill for $350. I almost had a heart attack, but I paid it.

Dave

12. robogeeks

robogeeks Karting

Sep 15, 2012
    Ours is an 87 3.2 Cab. I assume all Mondials use the same blanks, but I don't know for sure. Go to the website, I think they have compatibility lists for each blank.

13. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks.
    Ignition key looks correct. Door key is harder to tell from the photos.

14. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
  15. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    This is great! Just ordered a couple of spares for my car! Thanks!

16. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Keys are one of those thing I like original as they simply look great! The folding and the horse make you want to look at them for hours lying on the table :) and they look great on every table ;)

These original come pretty cheap IMHO and I got two spares from this guy. One I created a copy and like Bell I am using that one. One left blank if I ever get another Ferrari :)

Ferrari Folding Key TR Mondial 348 512TR M F50 | eBay

17. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Cool link, thanks! Just picked one up.

18. mulo rampante

mulo rampante Formula Junior

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    The original key is steel. Any copy is likely brass. Wise to use the copy, I'd rather wear out a key than wear out a lock cylinder.

I believe the door keys come in four variants, not sure how many of these four Ferrari used. These differ when viewed on-end. I obtained some blanks for my car from International Auto Parts, but they've now been bought by Centerline, and Centerline doesn't list them on their web page or catalog.

19. DK.miami

DK.miami Rookie

Jul 25, 2015
    miami
    Full Name:
    daniel kaplan
    I just ordered one from The Collection in Miami. You will need the VIN and proof of ownership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #20 MvT, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017