Stored Mondial QV requires re start. | FerrariChat

Stored Mondial QV requires re start.

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Steve360jet, Aug 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve360jet

Steve360jet Rookie

Sep 13, 2014
    Hi, i've recently come across a Mondial QV, manual, registered 1983 which appears to have been dry stored for approx 5 years. The car itself overall is in a fair condition with 20k recorded miles. I'm hoping for a little advice about what considerations I should be making regarding the engine, gearbox and maybe the car overall. I'm just wondering what procedure to follow to start the car safely. Cam belts concern me for sure. There is very little documentation with this car which doesn't help, but it certainly hasn't had any maintanence for 5 years. No price negotiated yet so any input on that too would be really helpful.
    Regards. S

2. Indyjones

Indyjones Karting

Jan 28, 2009
    Pacific NW
    Without documentation, the question is, when were the belts (if ever) last changed? Worst case, those belts could be 30+ years old. Luckily, it's not too expensive to get a major done on a pre-T Mondial, so put a few thousand $ aside for that for sure.
    QV Mondials are great Ferraris :) Remember, you're not buying a new car...not everything will be in top notch working order, but that's the price you pay for getting a classic italian sports car.

3. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    Mine wasn't stored, so my experience may be different than yours.

For yours, if you purchase her, I'd change all the fluids and filters first off. This includes the gas and gas filter. Probably some varnish in there.

As for the cam belts - do you know when they were last changed? How long or how many miles before the storage? I think I might be tempted to start her up after the fluid changes, without changing the belts.

I'm of the opinion that we are way, way too anal about the cam belts. Ferrari originally specified something like 60,000 miles between changes. I'm going to change mine on a 5 year schedule going forward.

What type of tires and wheels are on the car? If the original TRX metric wheels are on there, factor in about $2K for a new set of rubber - there is only one manufacture selling tires in that particular size. Many of our Mondials have had the metric wheels and tires replaced with standard size wheels - much, much cheaper to buy new rubber.

Anyway, you should have someone do a good PPI.

As for price - I paid $25K in January of this year for my car. Cosmetically, my car is a 15 footer. I have lots of rock chips on the nose, and a few little dings here and there. The previous owner tracked her - hence the zillion rock chips. Mechanically - she was almost perfect -the only issues were a non-operating sun-roof and a very slow passenger window (which has since died).

My interior is also somewhat worn. It's at the point that I'm going to re-dye the leather in the next month or so.

In the 8 months of ownership, I've tried to put about 100 miles a month on the car, and wring her out. She really seems to get better as she is driven hard. So far, only 2 failures - the alternator died, and a fuel line started weeping. Alternator cost $113 to rebuild at a local alternator/generator shop. Fuel line cost me about $20 at autozone.

I have not regretted my purchase. Not one little bit. These cars seem to be fairly reliable. Also, they are fairly basic and easy to work on. I was initially somewhat intimidated about wrenching on a Ferrari. Turns out these cars are no more difficult to work on than any other car of their generation. And, because of some smart engineering, they are actually easy to work on. Cam belts and the water pump can be changed without removing the engine.

I think an 83QV should run you somewhere between $20K and $30K. Since the one you have been looking at has been stored so long, I'd factor in about $4K for a major service.

From you user name, I'm guessing you have or had a 360? If so, keep in mind that the Mondial is a much different beast. It's a much simpler car, and drives vastly differently. IT will be down on power and performance compared to a 360. It's a much more manual, raw drive - which to me, makes the car a blast to drive. It's fun, sounds great, and is very forgiving.

Good luck with your decision. Let us know what happens.

Sid

4. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    couple of options you have IMO

If you need to see if the car runs prior to purchase you'll have to determine if you and the seller are comfortable trying to start it as is. If you go that route, take the passenger rear wheel off, fender liner out and closely inspect the belts for their condition. If you feel comfortable, then take a 36mm socket and turn the engine to see its free. If that also gives you comfort personally I'd just try to fire it up (but that's me). Or disconnect the ignition coils and just crank it over without it firing up.

Second would be to convince the seller that the car deserves a discount because of the work you will need to do to get it running, belts, check cam timing, yada-yada. You are most likely going to do a semi major service on the car anyway, so a price adjustment because of the storage should be expected.

Prudent play is to get the car at a discount, change belts and check cam timing/clearance prior to cranking it up cuz you are going to do it anyway.

5. Leighton360

Leighton360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    South Wales UK
    This is exactly what I did ... the seller completely understood where I was coming from and agreed a good discount .

The last thing you want is to try and just start the engine and then the belt goes ping !!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I am presently working through everything before attempting to start my project after years in storage..... so far - all fluids ,oils ,filters ,cam belts , tensioners and bearings , fuel hoses and ignition system plugs ,leads , relays , fuses ; we think not much longer now

In my view don't take any chances ..

6. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    I bought a car that sat 12 years.
    Body and interior were 'ok'
    Engine wise I knaw nothing, so I asked they could fire up the car.
    They weren't eager, because the gamble was on their side.
    If it didn't start or the belt popped, I walked away.
    But it started and ran pretty fine on idle. i worked the trottle a little and after 5 minutes, testing electronics (windows, heater, ....) I cut of the engine.

I bought the car with a discount and brought her home.

The first time I started her up again, was after the mayor service with belts, waterpump, fuelhoses and the rest of the works.

She ran fine. 😎

Only the radiator seems clogged now, so need to take some time to sort this out.

My advise: only if you are seriously interested: ask to fire her up. And if she runs fine, buy her with a discount and never fire her up again untill she got the royal treatment.

And keep us posted!

7. Indyjones

Indyjones Karting

Jan 28, 2009
    Pacific NW
    Out of curiosity, how did the belts look after such a long time? Most Ferrari owner's seem to have come to a consensus that belts should last quite a bit longer than the recommended service intervals...can't imagine why Ferrari belts would be an inferior quality compared to something from a German or Japanese car manufacturer. Of course, when it comes to selling your Ferrari, a fresh service makes all the difference in the world :)

8. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    It is my experience that belts rarely look ragged. Intervals are usually crazy short to compensate for cost of failure. Ive seen one failed belt. It occurred on startup and was a few teeth sheared off of an otherwise good looking belt. This allowed the crank to spin freely of valves. I believe on average we could all get 10 or 15 years out of our belts. But could they fail in a very small percentage? Yes. It could happen. Each of us knows if the cost of a potential $25,000 rebuild is worth the risk. In my opinion I like the idea of bringing a car to standard. All seals etc. renew it all. Then if all goes well the next service could be just filters, belts etc. this is only my opinion. But in the end I'm also curious how the belts look. But if the response comes back "perfect" that does nothing to change my position. I'm more interested in pictures of failures. I have also found in 6 years of ownership (of what I consider a reliable car) that the cost of just belts is small potatoes in the cost of keeping an old Ferrari in daily driver condition. TSLGOOD :)

9. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

Time and mileage are only some of the measurements you can use to gage the life of an equipment.

When you rev your Ferrari engine to 6,000 RPM,
    the timing belt is working twice as hard as a Honda's at 3,000 RPM.

A Honda's belt replacement interval is 100k miles.
    What do you think is a fair interval for the Ferrari?

10. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    There are more reports of the bearings failing first... then the belt can breakdown afterwards.

11. Steve360jet

Steve360jet Rookie

Sep 13, 2014
    Thank you so much for all the replies and advice. Indyjones I'm chasing the owner up for more documentation, the car is being sold by a third party so they can't give me any direct answer regarding when belts were changed as yet. Sidtx, yes she has metric cromodora wheels on her, two are perished so my plan today is to build that into my negotiations regarding the price today. The car is in the UK, Ferrari prices here have increased a lot over the last 12 months, asking price for this car is around £22k currently, but I'll see what I can do today. And yes, my last car was a 360, before then I had 15 years in a 348. Interesting to read everyone's opinion on belt changes. I went 5 years without a belt change on that car with no issues at all. Meister / PV Dirk hoping to get the car on a ramp today so will update you re their condition etc. Leighton360, fair point not to take chances, and for sure I'm aiming for a discount.
    Bart, good to hear your story after 12 years of storage. Water pump has been mentioned a few times. FCnew / Wade, thank you, more to consider regarding belts and bearings..

12. Steve360jet

Steve360jet Rookie

Sep 13, 2014
    #12 Steve360jet, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017