Radiator fan help on euro 1985 QV | FerrariChat

Radiator fan help on euro 1985 QV

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by onefastman, Sep 1, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. onefastman

onefastman Karting

Jul 15, 2011
    STL
    I am stumped at what this could be, my radiator fan was working perfectly since I got it and now it won't work.

On a road trip the A/C belt broke and caused the other belts to come off. I had been religiously checking the temps throughout the drive so it couldn't have been pegged for more than a minute (probably less as I was just getting back on the highway).

I had it trailer to the nearest Ferrari dealer, they installed belts and I was on my way but the fan wouldn't kick on.

Ferrari topped it off with coolant but I'm thinking didn't bleed the system because it had air in it that was causing coolant to come out the overflow, so I filled it up again and bled the system and now it doesn't leak any further.

I put the two electric leads together (ones the bottom of the radiator) with the key on and the fan kicks on right away.

I checked the fuses in position 7 and 8 and they were in good condition.

I replaced one of the relays that control the fans on the main board (shop only had one in stock) and will replace the other tomorrow.

Does anyone have any other thoughts of things or places I could look?

I'm currently 1000 miles from home and would strongly prefer to fix it myself than give Ferrari a blank check to poke around.

Thank you for the help!

2. onefastman

onefastman Karting

Jul 15, 2011
    STL
    #2 onefastman, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

Worse comes to worst, can you short the relay so that the fan is constant on while you drive? This would at least get you home and not doing any damage to the engine by overheating it.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have found the thermo switch, in the radiator that calls for the fans, is VERY unhappy to be over heated!!!

A quick check would be to unplug the 2 wire connector from it and stick a metal jumper across it, to see.
    Edit: Sorry, you did that and they came on.

Pull that sensor and go get one, it's a VW equal, check our cross reference Sticky Thread in 308 Section

If that gets your fans on, bad thermo switch, if not inpsect the relay board.

The bleeding is a good point as the switch won't read air or steam.
    Does the radiator get warm?

Maybe your thermostat, at the engine, failed closed under high temp.
    Both can happen.

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Just leave the one fan running all the time.

On my early cars, the A/C has to be on, to pull the second fan circuit in.

Back to your original belt throwing issue, maybe your water pump bearings are starting to go bad.
    That will sure throw belts, and then when everything cools off, it feels fine.

6. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    At least on the NA models. Not real sure about the Euro specs.

Dual fans came with the 3.2.

Having said that, I'm thinking of installing a second fan in my 85 QV Coupe. When I drive in 95f weather, if I keep the RPM consistently up over 5K, she gets really hot. I have to drive with the RPM below 3k for a few minutes to cool her off.

Sid

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    There's no where else that needs any "looking" - this:

confirms that everything else (except the radiator thermoswitch) is working perfectly and doesn't need any fixing.

8. onefastman

onefastman Karting

Jul 15, 2011
    STL

I've hard wired the fan for the time being and ordered a new switch overnight, I'll get it installed tomorrow and will be set :)