How to remove stainless door sills? | FerrariChat

How to remove stainless door sills?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Alden, Sep 1, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    What is the correct procedure to remove the stainless door sills on my 1988 3.2 Cabriolet?

I want to remove them to have them polished, but have heard that they may be glued in place on the bottom.

Any info appreciated.
    Alden

2. Indyjones

Indyjones Karting

Jan 28, 2009
    Pacific NW
    Mine are only screwed in with a screw on each side...they come off easy once those have been removed. Not sure if it comes from the factory like that though.

3. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    yep tiny screws hold it down

4. porchnut

porchnut Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bober
    YEP, after just finished re-doing my interior, I can confirm that mine is held down with screws only.

5. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    And where are the screws, I don't see any visible on mine. Do you have to remove the trim to get at them?
    Alden

6. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    #6 Dino2400, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    That is what I thought. I want to remove them without damaging them.

You are the second person who should know who has told me they are "glued" on at the factory.

That is what I though and why I asked before I started looking for screws and pulling on them.

Going to need a big knife.
    Thanks!
    Alden

8. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    #8 Dino2400, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We have used a putty-knife if Google translate is correct... Same tool as on the picture.
    We made it a little-bit sharper and that did the trick.

Good luck!

Maarten
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Indyjones

Indyjones Karting

Jan 28, 2009
    Pacific NW
    I thought you were referring to the small (thin) polished sills ;)
    And yes, my "door sills" are also glued on. If I remember correctly, one of mine was coming off on one side, so I took it off and reglued it. I think I used GOOP to put it back on.

10. bbekker

bbekker Karting

Jan 16, 2010
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Bas
  11. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Sorry Chaps, on my older car they are screwed on with anti rattle gunk behind.
    Later ones are indeed glued on.
    Might be easier to polish them by hand in situ, pot of elbow grease required as well as tin of polish.

12. porchnut

porchnut Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bober
    Okay, my bad, I thought it was the stainless trim, which I found out is razor sharp, which is held down with screws at each end. Everyone is correct they threshold is glued down on mine also. Sorry for the confusion, getting older...........

13. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Very nice work in this thread Bell.

One thing to remember when replacing anything with stainless is that a magnet won't stick to regular stainless steel. (They use a special type now on appliances so that refrigerator magnets will stick, gotta have some way to hang junior's artwork and pics in the kitchen, lol!)

Even though the stainless is the way to go IMHO, anyone checking the car with a magnet for filler in the future will think the repaired areas are not steel.

Also, my drivers side sill cover has a bit of a flutter and clank to it if I hit it with my foot when getting in the car, so some of the glue must be coming loose. That was the main reason I was going to R&R the parts, I figure I might as well take them to the high speed polish place that does work on semi truck parts for a professional polish while I have them out.
    Alden

14. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Take a hairdryer too and the rest is like Dino2400 already told, like I told him :) take your time btw.. 1 to 2 hour job depending how sticky they are.