Charred "W" connector in fuse box - fix? | FerrariChat

Charred "W" connector in fuse box - fix?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Alden, Sep 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #1 Alden, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The "W" connector on my Mondial is starting to show some charring on two connections. I assume these are for the AC and fuel pump.

Is there a re-route I can do with these circuits to stop the char until I can replace the entire fuse panel with a new revised one?

I have seen some threads with wires coming out of a few of the relays going to a separate fuse panel, but I can't find that kit for sale anywhere.

Any info appreciated.

Connector pic below is not mine, but it looks similar.
    Alden
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The "kit" that you're referring to is the one from Dave Helms at Scuderia Rampante. Do a search here in the Mondial forum and you'll find some great info. I installed one in a '88 3.2 and it solved so many issues. Greatly improved drivability as well.

Check his website for more info as well.

3. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    The only thing I see on SR is the complete fuse box upgrade for $1500, not quite ready to do that right now. Am I missing something?
    Alden

4. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    That's it.

Dave improves the connections but also splits some of the circuits, effectively adding a second fusebox. Yes, it is a bit pricey, but it will be the last time you worry about anything in the fuse box other than relays and fuses.

While a lot Ferrari parts are priced high because they can, many of us have determined this investment is a good value.

Regards,
    Jerry

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    That's it in a nutshell Jerry.

While there are several threads out there, here's a quote from mine:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/405710-scuderia-rampante-innovations-fusebox-upgrade-installed.html

6. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I'm regularly checking mine and fingers crossed! I haven't got this problem (yet)

Guido is making new fuseboards also, which are a bit less in price.
    His alias is theunissenguido. Urs aka afterburner has one built in.

They both have the same effect.

No one said Ferraris were cheap ;) but serious, this is a good investment if you have got this issue like some folks already said. Personally I do not like the idea of catching fire while I am driving.

7. robogeeks

robogeeks Karting

Sep 15, 2012
    #7 robogeeks, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
    As a temporary solution that works pretty well cut off the burnt section of the connector, only the bottom, so you still have a usable connector, I did this with a Dremmel tool. Then cut off the terminals and pull the wires through the connector. Finally, replace them with female slide terminals that fit, the standard size doesn't fit, you have to find thinner ones, but most auto parts stores should have them. I did this and it worked pretty well until I was able to do the SR upgrade.

8. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #8 Alden, Sep 20, 2015
    Thanks. That is the info I was looking for. Just something to get me by a little while until I can do the fusebox upgrade.

Did you only replace the terminals on the two burnt wires or all of them?

A pic would be great if you have it.
    Alden

9. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    #9 dfranzen, Sep 20, 2015
    The "fix" for most shops is to make about a 6 inch pigtail with a spade

connect it (spade) to the box side then slide the pigtail through the W connector

Then splice it (solder or crimp) to the original wires that went to the connector

this way there is stress relief for the wires

look at post #6 in the following thread for a picture

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/425087-fuel-pump-circuit-fix.html

10. Leighton360

Leighton360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    South Wales UK
    Saw this fuse box mod on an 83 QV which was sold at an auction in the uk today .... interesting .

11. Leighton360

Leighton360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    South Wales UK
    #11 Leighton360, Sep 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I did this fix yesterday. Went well and looks like it should take some of the heat out of the two burnt connectors.

Hardest part was finding the 3/16" female connectors, they are the only ones that will fit the male part in the fuse box where the "W" connectors attaches and they are not easy to find around here.
    Alden

13. blownfuse

blownfuse Karting

Jul 16, 2012
    Campbell, California
    The female spade connectors aren't that hard to find, once you know where to look. I've ordered mine from Mouser, here's the link: DNF14-187-M Panduit | Mouser

The male connectors in the fusebox are ever so slightly larger than these females will accept, so you'll need to apply a bit of force to make the initial connection. Do be careful as you can easily damage the relay board in the process.

I had my board remanufactured by GT car parts for about $1k. The new board has the same form factor as OEM, but it uses a brand new PCB with THICK copper traces. This thing is HEAVY! Should last until the apocalypse. 328/Mondial Remanufactured Fuse Box | G.T. Car Parts INC

Shipwright's disease got the better of me and I replaced all ~75 connections with female spades. Not the best decision I made but I'm hoping to never have to deal with the relay board ever again.

14. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I did this W connector fix today with gold plated 3/16" connectors. Looks good and should buy me some time.
    Alden