HELP | FerrariChat

HELP

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Mondial83, Sep 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    Ok so the shop has my Fcar all sanded out however all the quarter panels after sanding including the hood were originally yellow he says. However the car is black the sticker in the trunk says Nero which I assume is black? The car has red original interior or could that be a total redye? And why? Did 82 modial 8 coupes come yellow with red interior? I can't figure it out there is no history of accident however the car showed signs of old repairs says the body shop. The roof was always black he says he don't understand. Now should I paint it yellow to keep original or was it black on red, and someone welded new quarters on it from a yellow car? Any advice? Damn it keeps getting more interesting as I go with this Ferrari.

2. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    Paint it the color you like and enjoy it.

3. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    What he said! I bought my Ferrari to wear it out and then buy another and start over. Unless you are planning on an investment for your kids drive the darn thing. It's a Ferrari!!

4. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Maybe primer. Maybe a factory redo. These cars are not investment grade right now. If they become so the color can be changed in the future. My black 3.2 has red under the bumper paint and I've heard of others with the same issue. I've also heard some of the 80s cars had paint so bad they got re sprayed at the dealers. The Nero sticker is black. I think you can get any paint on it so you can get back to loving the experience.

5. porchnut

porchnut Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bober
    Yellow over red, I wouldn't think so. I would try to find some place on the interior that you could strip off the dye to see the real color. When I did my interior this summer I found four layers of dye, thankfully they were all tan, slightly different shades. I'll bet it was black over red. 😕

6. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    Black it is. I guess it does not matter I bought it to drive it so since yellow is not the color I would prefer I'm putting it back to the black he striped off

7. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Just try to please one person, you.

8. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #8 hank sound, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    Hey Rodney, if you (the owner) are the judge, no points will be deducted for any color code that you have chosen. :) Now, wasn't that easy? :):)

Cheers,

Hank

9. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    The inside of your pods would be a good indicator of the original color. My bet is 100% black. Als cars got repainted if the owner changed the mind on the color. There is one Mondial here that got another color from Ferrari and was already on its way from the factory to the dealer. The to be owner saw one in a specific color and changed his mind.. ..Ferrari said no problem we will get you that color and took the Mondial apart and got a total repaint with the sticker mentioning the new color. Try this at the VW dealer :)

Black is the color you want so like Hank mentioned the judge has decided ;)
    Btw make pictures of the state when it is sanded and the repairs done. New owner like this when you even want to sell it.

Red under the paint of 3.2 bumpers was a primer (filler) for polyester bumpers in those days. :)

You will be having a new looking Mondial Rodney! Post some pics when it is ready or before. Now I'm off to paint my wheels. I think pink will do simply because I want it :p

10. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I second that! I am working hard to wear out my 1986 Prugna Metallical 3.2 coupe but it is not co-operating. I do silly things like replace all the CV joints and front rotors just because I CAN. Even a clutch that EYE trashed. It just keeps getting better despite my best efforts after 13,000 miles. I seldom run it below 3,000 rpm. Generally shift at 4-5k. And LOTS of full throttle all the time. I am blessed it has less then 300 hp. Otherwise I would be in leg irons or a pine box.

11. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #12 Wade, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ex Phil Bachman Ferrari? Most of his are yellow and several with red interiors. ;)

The yellow family » Ferrari Magazine - For Ferrari cars owners and fans

The Bachman Ferrari Collection by Clint Davis | Autofluence
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Just kidding... I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

13. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'll add my voice to the chorus - paint it the colour you want it!
    Take two of the most famous Ferrari owners from Hollywood as an example. Steve McQueen and James Coburn were both known for having their cars repainted several times in different colours to suit their wishes. I think Coburn repainted his California 3 times and McQueen had his 275 NART Spyder repainted before he'd even drive it home (along with removing the bumpers!) It's your car. Do to it as thou wilst.

14. petrolheadjeff

petrolheadjeff Karting

Apr 16, 2015
    London/Kent
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Pink is nice.

15. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    :) I am in the process of refurbishing my wheels! It's temping ;)

16. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    Let's see those wheels when done. I'm thinking of doing the same.