Wet Weather Driving Report | FerrariChat

Wet Weather Driving Report

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Rapalyea, Sep 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Good news and bad news in this department as well. Besides the good news reported on a separate thread regarding wipers I also did my favorite 65 turn 12 mile long way home to practice my slides on drizzle damped roads. The speeds are generally 40-50 mph. The good news is the car handles exactly the same. The slides are more gentle and more fun because when slower and wet it is easy to do the max. I could not provoke any sort of squirelly behavior. Even a quick jab at the brakes does not upset anything.

That most definitely NOT the case in straight line stops. I have never been fond of the brakes on this car. Mostly I found them to light, non progressive, and lock up to easily when you get down to 30 mph. Recently I had a lot of preventive maintenance done. All four CV joints are new, and the front bearings have been lubed. This last thing is VERY important. Mine were undamaged but dry. The grease got waxy over the years and was pushed asside and did not migrate back into the race.

But I also replaced both front rotors and replaced original spec (almost new) pads with ceramic. That made a very noticeable difference. A lot more progressive and much easier to avoid front locking at lower speeds. So this was the perfect time to test the brakes on something other then dry roads, where they are much improved.

On damp straight roads? At 50 mph they got very squirelly very fast. The sequence is this. The left front locked up first and that puts the car out of balance. The rear actually jumped out a tad and then did a little jig. Felt like one or the other rear temporarily locked as well. Easy enough to recover, but enough to be spooky.

So I did a lot of practice. First from 50 mph. Then repeatedly from 60 and even a couple from 70mph. Enough to begin smelling hot brakes. A panic stop is probably the safest bet. I did that from lower speeds a couple of times and the car simply slides. But I will do some more practice max without lockup. I have dry braking down pretty good already.

PS: The Continental ExtremeContact Summer DWs are a perfect wet weather tire.

2. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Mondials and other Ferraris of this era do have a tendancy to be unstable at anything over 70mph in a medium 0.4g curve IF you lift off the gas suddenly......and if you brake? well they don't like that at all and will try and swap ends, and that's in the dry! Do this in the wet and you are going to be very very busy.
    That said when I'm racing Kato around the curve and circle complex where I live all my manouvers are set up ie I'm always on the power adjusting my slide and attitude on the throttle, braking points and lines are taylored by me to suit the Farraris strongest hand. I therefore know never to lift off the gas suddenly mid corner unless I need the car to turn in hard and an application of brakes would result in oversteer. This situation would never happen with my Lotus' they are unshakeable and predictable no matter what crazy things you do in them. However Kato and I have an understanding I think/hope,
    that is he is a little bit frisky, which I like. He can be catchably leary which keeps me working at the wheel but our agreement is NO V12 Lambo nonsense or he's out!
    So yes I love Kato, he makes me work harder than the Lotus' do, as Lotus cars have a habbit of making any driver look like a racing driver.
    Kato keeps me very entertained with enough sideways action to impress my chums when we are on a run out.
    All the best Bell

3. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #3 Rapalyea, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    I have been pushing my car in full G corners with full throttle and if the ass end gets a bit squielly all I do is lift throttle and let go of the steering wheel. Same safety design as my Z-28. To my experience both cars are damn near spin proof. One hundred and twenty thousand miles in the Z-28 on public roads, fifty laps at Summit Point (at which my exact model spanked a Porche 928S by several seconds. My time, 1.44 was not that far behind.)

And a .4g curve? Skyline drive over the Blue Ridge Mountains has speed limits that will generate .4g. I have a 100 mph left hand curve in which the Mondial does not even know if it is in full throttle of lift throttle. Did it just the other day with a pickup truck that was probably pulling close to .80. I watched him from the rear tempt me into the curve to see if he knew what he was doing. He expected a Ferrari driver who would not know what he was doing. He was wrong. And he DID know what he was doing..

So I ran right up next to him in the right lane. I was on and off the throttle to match him. I do not know how fast I was going in fourth gear, but I did that to keep him steady. Then I nailed it and hit 7-8K running out. Zero point four gs? My 1974 Vega station wagon would do .75g. It was timed and tested it at a local Porche event outside DC. The Porche guys were congratulatory to me. And of course that very same prepped 1974 Vega station wagon took first, second, or third in EVERY event at the Manassas paved oval. That was the fastest autocross I ever ran. Hit 60mp in third gear. Some cars and some tracks just match up.

PS: As stated below I did test the brakes in hard corners, not 70mph, but the car simply slowed down by 10mph without any jiggle at all. I can extrapolate that up to higher speeds and perhaps someday I will find a safe place to test it at 70mph.

4. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Here in Los Angeles, what is wet weather?

5. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Oh well that's a mystery as both the Mondials do it and on different types of tyre.
    The 308 does it also. Are you saying that you can't notice the massive weight shift at all when you run this test?
    Are you throttle steering?

6. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    I continue to think we're just driving different cars... Until I see posts about pickups pulling .8gs.

Always dig the enthusiasm though.

7. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    The weight shift is perfect for a 10mph speed reduction. I have done it many times both wet and dry.

8. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Pickup trucks! My favorite trip is up Blood Mountain. My 8psi 5.0 Lincoln Mark VII has run down Corvette C-5s. The rednecks who do that every day are better. My MAXX with autocross tires was better but only by a little bit. I was smelling my own rubber. Full throttle, off throttle I was neutral. And took the pickup by only about 3 mph.

And I have Road Atlanta autocross experience. My instructor told me to slow down to let the Loti get ahead

I do not know how that translates into actual g forces. But I can tell you a well driven pickup truck will not necessarily embarass itself.

9. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Great good fun!

That pickup in that 90 mph left hander was no slouch. These things can be had with every sort of supercharged power plant, every sort of suspension mods. They look like they would simply fall over on their sides. Once upon a time I test drove a Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7. It felt like I was driving from the top of a step ladder.

And seriously, I would not want to recover from a tail out situation. But steady state cornering? Tires are the limiting factor for most people on such vehicles. And I can tell yuo I had taken that fast left hand sweeper MANY times and running side to side with that pickup took some concentration. Mostly to keep us both from doing something seriously more stupid then we were already doing.

If I get a chance I might look up if any pickup trucks can pull 0.8 Gs. But hell, my 1974 Vega station wagon was timed at exactly 0.75.

10. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Address to Bell.

Throttle steering. My Mondial does very little throttle steering. At full tilt at full throttle it simply slightly tightens its arc. Throttle off it pretty much does the same thing. I have always tuned my suspensions to slightly tighten upon lift throtle. I have seen nothing in this car that would be a surprise. I remember we had some talk about Ferrari understeer and I mentioned I had not seen it with the Pirrelli P Zero Neros. I do see it with the Continental ExtremeContact Summer DWs.

On these damp roads today it was gone. The car simply pointed where I pointed it. Rotation was smooth, predictable, and rather fun like a sea side amusement park. Including sudden brake stabs. The surprise was maximum straight line braking. This is probably because a hard stab in a corner of about 1/4 second transfers heavily to the front providing more rotation for a very sort time.

The straight line braking was many seconds long. The heavy dive had already taken full effect and then it was up to when the fronts locked up. They did not lock up in unison, and hence the unsettled effect. I have practice much on dry roads and this has never been an issue. However, in a wet condition the fronts and rears may be more equal with the front ceramics.

And so it may be a trade off. Better dry road control, or better wet road control. Of course any sane manufacturer will opt for better wet road dynamics. And that is why I do so much testing. However, spirited driving only needs about 1/4 second brake stab to scrub off about 10 mph or more. However, I need to know what happens on longer times.

Straight line? Well. Now I know that if I need to do a panic stop I simply do a panic stop and lock up all four wheels. For sprited driving and 1/4 second brake stabs there is no penalty.

11. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    I guess I'm just so used to Lotus cars that all the Ferrari handling traits shout at me all the time.
    Don't get me wrong I do like the Ferraris, Infact I enjoy wrestling with them on the limit and in the slide. One is always working hard at the wheel as compared with the Lotus cars that just do anything without issue. The Ferrari is fun to master I guess.
    However I have never ever driven a single Ferrari upto 2005 that didn't understeer as compared to a Lotus but that said the rearward weight distribution means that some serious throttle steering is required to get these cars to do what you want them to. And this though technically a flaw does make the car fun on the road although seriously compromised on the track...ie sideways is not the fastest way round but boy is it fun. When seriously hustling Kato it feels like I'm on a tarmac rally stage with the car flicking this way and that. I've never driven a Stratos and I hear they are scary, but sometimes I do think of Kato as a longer and slightly easier to drive Stratos ha ha.
    Anyway I'm waffling...
    See you, I'm off for some frisky sideways fun, the sun is out and my racetrack is calling. Plus I have a neighbour who wants a ride.
    Regards Bell

12. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    To me it is odd that you are having one front wheel lock up at moderate speeds. I'd probably renew everything that was rubber. Do you have new brake lines at the wheels? At the age of these cars it might be prudent to rebuild those calipers as well.

I'm not a skilled driver near the limits. I've had fun with the car and had one time the front end start to wash out, got off the throttle and it came right back into line. Thankfully, as I was headed for a barrier. I had been driving up the California coastal highway and Turned inland through the redwoods to Oregon. Hours of twisties fun.

In re reading I'm reminded, I have new front brake lines in a box. Hmmmm, I'm guessing it's time to install them.

And to wet weather, I too have found the car to be very competent in the wet. It really is a pleasure to drive in a rain storm, or even in snow. I think the weight distribution of the car lends itself to this type of driving.

13. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Dave:

Something is not right. The fronts should lock up just about the same time if they lock up at all. If you have new pads, make sure they have been well seated, so you get even braking. Dave Zeckhausen has a great site for braking, including a good bedding in procedure. I think it is under Zeckhausen Racing or similar.

If you are getting squirrely under hard braking, your rear brakes are not doing enough work. It could be the proportioning is off, but more likely too much weight transfer to the front, taking too much weight off of the rears. How are the shocks and springs? Preventing some weight transfer would certainly help

My t recently had some Porterfields put on (recommendation here) and after some break in, they are stopping almost as well as the pads they replaced (could not figure out what the old pads were). Best brakes I have ever had on a street car. They can almost suck your eyeballs out (and serious risk of being rear ended)!!! But while not impossible, it is very hard to lock the fronts with ABS. I can get just a touch of front lock before the ABS kicks in.

Worst case, you can add a proportioning valve to better balance the car under braking.

Regards,
    Jerry

14. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    I agree too with the guys above Rapalyea. there is no way your brakes should be locking up so easily.
    I left foot brake Kato regularly and brake late and very hard indeed from 110-120mph down to 30-40 for a slow curve without any issues at all. Kato has no abs but the brakes are excellent, prehaps a little over assisted for my taste at very low speeds but they are perfect for very smooth heel and toe down shifting at more spirited speeds. I like the Ferrari brakes, I actually think they have a lot of feel and I rather enjoy being hauled up hard on the belts under braking and feeling those fronts tires chewing at the road surface.
    Had a great blast today, got my new tyres properly scrubbed in and warm/hotish. My neighbour with the BMW M3 was properly blown away by old Kato. He said he never thought a 30 year old Ferrari could pull such high G's and hurl itself down the road like it does.
    Praise indeed for my old lad.

15. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    So I noticed last year! holy crap! :eek::eek: Luckily it was on a sunday morning and I was turning on to the highway. For anyone who has been in NL, we have these very nice turns, I call them 180ties (bit ironic), that have a diameter of 200 to 300meters. I was making speeds got into 4th gear and I saw some water on part of the turn so I took my foot of the throttle and before I new it my view was changing into the other direction and thought.. ok this is not good!!! But no way I was able too keep her on the lane. I was just unprepared and a bit shocked at the same time. so now I keep throttle , or maintain it, in turns when it is wet, preferably one gear down.

Now let's it does not happen anymore. I decided when it rains.. no one drives but me :)

16. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Hi PV

Everyting is pretty much good really. All four tires are good fresh and nicely worn down. The front rotors and pads were only installed a few weeks ago and I have been breaking them in. Adding ceramic to the fronts very much improved dry weather final slow down stability. I do not see noticeable left right bias on dry roads.

So the fronts have a bit less bite now which makes the wet stopping rear shudders a bit more understandable. However, I have noticed the limited slip differential in my car might need another tube of additive. It just seems very heavily locked up on very tight turns. Chirps the tires sometimes under throttle. Perhaps the jiggle I got in the wet is the anti-slip not slipping at all? I will have my local wrench add another tube some time.

I have a lot of experience with these types of differentials for many years. The last 7psi 5.0 Mark VII would chirp the new ones just backing up in the lot. But they broke in just fine. I have always suspected my Ferrari limited slip as rather agressive but nothing untword ever came of it. Till the rear got a bit squirelly with a full tilt stop on wet roads!
    But thats why I practice these things.

Today I was running fast through some dry road turns and decided to test out Bells braking scenario. In the middle of the hard right hander I applied almost a full second of hard braking. Something one might be tempted to do if a deer jumped in front of you. Where I live this might actually be a large Black Bear. [The actual proper answer is HIT THE GD DMND DEER. Seriously.] But I digress.

The car rotatated as expected and was easily straightened out by lifting the brake pressure. Its a scenario one might encounter on a track with a wreck in front of you, or if a Black Bear lumbers in front of you on a dark night. [Again. The actual proper answer is to just duck and hit the animal. Almost any serious driver input puts you off the road. The bear rambles off and the next car dials 911]. In this entire nation the single most pernicious menace are DEER. Followed closely by the gd dmd beavers.

I am not making this up. As a kid in rural Ohio we trapped muskrat and hunted deer. There were no beavers to trap, the muskrats were few and far between. And I never encountered a deer while hunting one. Now they are like rats in NYC. I drove I-80 from Ohio to NYC and the deer carnage was epic in scale. One per mile, by my count. My buddy ran into one in DC! Runined his whole car!

Time for another beer!

17. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Hi Jerry!

The problem is the rears were doing TOO much work. They should not have locked up at all so quickly. This is entirely my doing since I deliberately reduced the front friction by installing ceramics on the front. The front and rears are in total ballance on dry roads. I have another possible culprit why the rears got jiggly. To much limitied slip. I have suspected as much the entire time I have owned the car.

However, if I had to choose between perfect dry brakes or perfect wet brakes I would choose dry because thats when I mostly do my driving. As for proportioning valves you have hit the nail squarely on the head. Specifically, for the entire 35 years of owning my 1965 corvair I always hated the brakes because the fronts lock up to soon.

So when I had the master cylindar upgraded to a dual line unit I had my local wrench add a proportioning unit. Its actually more complicate with a dual system then a single system but that is beside this point. Which is this. That Corvair now has the best brakes of any car I have ever driven. Suck your eyeballs out, no dive, now swerve, very very hard peddle and way easy to feel impending lock up. Is not clear to me I would prefer my anti lock maxx in dry weather. Certainly for shear entertainment the value rock steady stability of NON-antilocks is preferable to the dentist drill anti-locks. Which, of course, increase your stopping distance on ice by at least 25%.

Thats another discussion!

18. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias

Round abouts in wet oily cities are certainly a menace. You have experienced a strong lesson for anticipation in such circumstances! Even the possibility of standing water is one great big red light. Its the one of the things that terrifies me! Its why I practice wet driving in light drizzles on roads I already know. God, have I driven in driving rain storms out running tornado conditions in Illinois!

And everyone should drive in snow and on ice just to get their attention to these things. Chicago and NE Ohio are about perfect. Meanings, specifically, satanic.

19. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Cheers MvT, that's what I was trying to point out Matey, glad you find the same 'issue' as me.
    Regards Bell ;-)

20. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I love to drive the Mondial on snow and you are totally right in what you are saying, but it is quite impossible here. Once the local government gets the notice that it will snow or freeze... they send out the salt lorries. It's like they have shares on salt. The more the better, but no chance I will take the Mondial on the road.

Oh my..!! I would want to do this :):)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58UeQZqvVfY[/ame]

21. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Studded snow tyres are posh!