I thought my neighbor was a "car guy." | FerrariChat

I thought my neighbor was a "car guy."

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Alden, Oct 1, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I was taking the Mondial out for a drive this evening and one of my neighbors I know well was out for a walk in the neighborhood, so I asked him if he wanted to go for a ride.

I know he has an MR2 in the garage and is a highly skilled, retired jet technician.

So we are going along and I am enjoying one of the twisty roads in our area and he asks me "Have you learned how to shift it without using the clutch? I used to do that with my Nova all the time."

I explained to him that this was not a drag car and was meant to be driven smoothly, with care given to the way all the parts work together - "Smooth is fast and fast is smooth," I told him.

So we continue to carve up 20 MPH suggested turns at some nice speeds and getting the engine up to 7000 or so RPM's. The car is running great and that V8 is making some beautiful music back there.

When we are heading back home with the top down, he asks me if it is easy to get at the engine behind the rear seats. "Sure," I answer, "There is an access panel behind the seats."

He says that if I want to make the car quieter, he has some insulation material from the aircraft industry that he could install to "quiet that thing down."

I am aghast a this point and explain to him that the sound of the engine is one of the things I love about this car and there is no way I want to make it "quiet."

We got home and I parked the car in the garage and he told me if I wanted to take him up on the insulation offer to give him a call. He left to continue his walk.

I really read this guy wrong. I thought he understood the car experience thing, that I have never even used the very nice stereo that came with the car and if it didn't sound like a Ferrari I wouldn't love it so much.

And no, I don't go thru the neighborhood at WOT disturbing the neighbors. This guy just doesn't get the F car experience.

I re-learned to each his own and that an MR2 is a far cry from an F car.
    Alden

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    There are as many "car guys" as there are types of cars. ;)

But people like us can often find ourselves alone in our own world.

Heck, the only Ferrari guy I've ever met who understood, appreciated and enjoyed these cars the same way as I do was the guy who bought my Mondial.

3. Roward7

Roward7 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Lol... Funny story, goes to show never judge a book by the car they drive..:) I am guessing you won't be extending further car bonding outings to that neighbour.. Smile

4. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Alden, sounds like you should indeed fit a proper car stereo in you Ferrari, and it should be fitted not with speakers but headphones. So that next time you can pop the headphones on him and play the serene country sounds of birds singing, bees buzzing and snails shagging, keeping all that nasty motorcar noise out. ;-)

5. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    MR2 Case Closed.

6. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Actually think about it from his perspective
    he worked in the jet industry and they all want to make the jet ride quiet

he probably thinks for the money a Ferrari is supposed to be a "QUIET" luxury car

remember most folks think a Ferrari is EXPENSIVE and not the chump change a Mondial goes for

also I would've asked him how in the hell do you shift without clutching?

7. swong46

swong46 Karting

Jun 24, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    I shift with no clutch in the cars I am comfortable and confident with for all gears. Upshift and downshift (minus 1st of course). No wear on the clutch or throw out bearing. But different people like it quiet and some like it loud. My Alfa Spider is quiet but the Sprint GT is very very loud.

8. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    Thank you, Wade. The love and appreciation for the mondial grow every time I drive it. Learning about the car and all of its quirks is something that never gets old.

9. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I think you are right on this point. I live in an affluent lake front community with lots of luxury cars going past each day and I think most folks think my Mondial cost a lot too.

Really! Someone please tell the "how and why" about no clutch shifting too.
    Alden

10. bigeasy

bigeasy Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2012
    it's all about knowing your cars friction point and rev range. when you have it down, the car will want to jump into the next gear with little effort on the shifter, I would not recommend learning this technique on a Ferrari, but maybe a neighbors MR2. Triumph's were the easiest transmissions I know to perfect this methods.

11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I am very sure there are people that can shift without the clutch. But for me, I use the pedal on the left. They have it there for a reason.

12. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Its about matching engine speed with gearbox speed. I used to do it on a Honda crx I had and some motorcycles. It's a fun trick, but not one I'd do all the time, kind of like how the guy I bought my 348 from would always start out in 2nd gear...doable, but not a very good long term plan if you ask me.

13. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I agree. Honda or Toyota would be easy too.

I know how to do it, (simply a case of rev matching, which is a little harder than it sounds) but given the price of making a mistake one too many times, I am not going to practice on the Ferrari. If the clutch craps out, I will get it home, but other than that, 3 pedals are better than 2!!

Regards,
    Jerry

14. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    #14 enzo360, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    Take on his offer for the insulation, it will hide the gearbox crunch when you shift without using the clutch :D

Best
    Jurgen

15. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    #15 davebdave, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    I had a Morris Minor and could shift all day without the clutch. To get moving, turn off the engine, put in first gear and hit the starter. Boom, you're moving. When ready to up shift, ease slowly off of the gas until the shifter slides out of gear with light finger pressure, ease ever so slightly more off of gas and select next gear with finger pressure. To down shift,same to disengage but increast engine speed rather than decrease to make the shift. However, what racers do is a slam shift by stepping off of the gas for an instant and going for it. I definitely would not try it in the Mondial. However, I have practiced clutchless Mondial shifting just in case of a blown slave or master.(and for fun). It is more difficult in the Ferrari.

Edit: the Ferrari gear box will not crunch under the first technique I mentioned, it just burns up the sincros until you get it right.

16. 308mon

308mon Karting

Oct 5, 2014
    UK
    My plan over the coming winter season is to make a replica MR2 out of the Mondial. My thoughts are that now is the time to reverse the usual trend of converting MR2's into Ferrari replicas.

PS: Speaking of winter, the above should be taken with a pinch of road salt!

17. elipinski

elipinski Formula 3

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    Emanuel
    My first F Car was a Mondial, i also shifted without pressing the clutch many times. If you are experienced in that, it wont harm the transmission or clutch. best -e-

18. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    I prefer using the pedal.

If you say MR2 in french you get something else than a ahum-ahum "fine motorcar".

My neighbour and I were earlier today talking car-stuff, when he claimed his brother had his Mercedes E 220d (2010?) chipped and tuned with extra turbo and 'other things he couldn't remember' to a wopping 780 HP.
    I almost choked in my beer. I know the car and his brother. I'm pretty sure nothing in that matter happened to that car. Next time I'll see the guy, I want to see under the hood. I know I'll only find original diesel lump in there.
    Some people take car-talk to a whole new level. 😳

19. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Redneck kid at the pumps a few weeks ago told me he built his Camaro engine to 1800 horsepower.

He was driving a very ratty pickup and his awesome car was "at home" of course.

Yea, that's nice, right.
    Alden

20. uberlink

uberlink Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    I've also noticed that many "car guys" seem to hate more cars than they love. Always find that odd. I had some stranger post a picture of my mondial on the local cars & coffee Facebook page, only to have ten others post how "mondials suck". Of course, not one had spent time around a mondial (let alone driven or owned one). True enthusiasts will find something to love in just about every interesting car, even if it isn't their cup of tea.