Engine measurement | FerrariChat

Engine measurement

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Rupert, Oct 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rupert

Rupert Rookie

Nov 20, 2008
    Plymouth Devon
    Full Name:
    Rupert
    Hi all, I'm considering using a mondial V8 engine and box in a another car project...
    I just wondered if someone could possibly take a tape measure to their car and tell me the approximate distance from the point where the drive shaft exits the diff to the front of the engine cam cover please.

2. bbekker

bbekker Karting

Jan 16, 2010
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Bas
  3. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid

With the Thema 8.32.

I've had thoughts of adapting a 2v engine into something like a modified Lotus 7. There are smaller, much more powerful engines that would fit the 7 chassis, but nothing that has the "cool" factor of a Ferrari V8.

Sid

4. Rupert

Rupert Rookie

Nov 20, 2008
    Plymouth Devon
    Full Name:
    Rupert
    Well the engine has been offered to me and it seems a shame not to use it (or just have in my sitting room!) Trouble is it is not accessible to measure.
    I'm just wondering if it could fit in my Renault spider
    Could be highly amusing as long as it isn't too heavy.

5. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    About 500 to 550 lbs with transmission and ancilliaries...
    (or 225 to 250 kilos if you like it metric)

Rgds

6. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #6 PV Dirk, Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    About 27 inches. Approx 69cm. This is from the rear most edge of the flange the axle bolts to to the front of the cam cover. The differential sticks out further though.

Put it in a VW/Porsche 914. :D A fiat 850!!!!! What other cars had rear mid engine? I bet it would fit in a Fiero, they had V6 engines in the later ones.

Personally I'd take the cradle and make a fully custom car, your own creation. Although over here I see the Dino kit cars come up from time to time. Put the Mondi engine in a Dino fiberglass replica? Hmmmm.

Now I see Renault spyder. Not a Caravelle is it?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid

There have been Chevy 350 V8 conversions - so the Ferrari engine should work.

and, as a bonus, you still have a "sort of" Italian connection as the body was designed by "Ghia".

914s have limited space, most 914 owners I know refer to the engine bay as the "hellhole". Although, come to think of it, Porsche shoved a flat 6 back there (914/6), so maybe the Ferrari engine might fit.

As a last resort, think how cook the engine would look under glass. maybe as a coffee table - like the Top Gear guys did with a Porsche V8! You could remove the cylinder heads and hook up an electric motor to rotate the crank and make the pistons go up and down!!!

sid

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #8 Rifledriver, Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    Better check the height. From the drain plug to the plenum top it is quite tall.

Even just to the top of the valve covers it is pretty tall.

914? Seen them with SBC's but you need to relocate the water pump to squeeze it in there.

9. carwhisperer

carwhisperer Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I think it would be pretty cool to put one in a modern Fiat 500. Mid engine style, of course. I like the idea of an exotic engine in a mundane car. Kind of the automotive version of under promise, over deliver. AKA sleeper. Then again with only 200hp, it won't be that fast.

10. carwhisperer

Sep 29, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Also, remember this. Any engine will fit in any car, if you want it bad enough.

11. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    Where a guy put an LS in the back of a Geo Metro.

Same guy put another LS in a Geo Tracker!

Another idea, not too exicting, is to drop it into a Miata. There's LS and Ford 5.0 conversions out there - so there must be enough room.

What would be really cool is to have Red Ferrari Cylinder heads sticking out of whatever you build. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... a Ferrari Boxer engine would be really really cool!

Sid

12. carwhisperer

Sep 29, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I've built some pretty crazy stuff myself, including a couple LS swaps. I agree with exposing the red cylinder heads.

13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    It has been done in the old FIAT 500 with a 3,2 engine (at the rear of course), pics are easy to find.

Rgds